Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife purchased an 18 plate on Apr1st last year. It was 1 yr old and an ex factory car. So I'm assuming it was driven by a manager at the factory??
Anyway, we had the EGR valve go bad on us, it was reset by the AA but within 48hrs it was bad again. So it was replaced.
Fast forward a few months, wife driving to work and the car decided to deselect all gears at a roundabout. Which scared the **** out of her. Restarted it and all was good. Then the EML light reignited itself, but then a few days later it went out but was reported to LR via the button thingy in the car. As it was going in for a new rear camera they said they'd look at the gear deselection and the EML. They cleared all historical faults and replaced the camera this week. But within 48hrs the EML light is back on, LR tech has just visited the wife at work and informed her the EGR is bad again.
If we drove a couple of miles a week I could understand it but she drives 60 miles every day, 30 miles each way to work. So it's getting used.
Anyone else had this issue of EGR's continuously going bad?

·
Registered
7,520 Posts
Sorry can’t help , hope you get it sorted

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Oh that is a sad tale. Lots of cars suffer from the dreaded EGR valve but usually one fixed, it’s fixed.

Mine failed years ago on my 2.2, it was replaced under warrant, not a problem since.

Hope you get to the bottom of the issue.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Saga continues, LR not dealer said a courtesy car would be with her on Fri. Lo and behold, wife called them an hour before finishing work to check the car was still coming. Answer in response, sorry, not sure when it's coming, it might be Monday.
I want to give LR the benefit but that goodwill is slowly ebbing away.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
This incredibly poor service & quality sadly appears to be the norm for many JLR vehicles & dealers. A very sad state of affairs in this day & age, especially when you can think back to when Jaguar & Land Rover were prestige quality vehicles that were deemed to be proud to own. How times are changing. 🤕 :unsure: 😕
Come on JLR get your collective fingers out & sort it before you lose all of your loyal customers.

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
If it's the local dealer near to us-you may wait until hell hath frozen over-their attitude has changed from friendly, courteous careing to hands up give us your money when we say !!!

·
Registered
7,520 Posts
If I’ve ever had a problem I’ve always called JLR experience ( complaints) as all the dealerships are some kind of authorised franchise... hence looking to make money whereas if you call experience you get a case number and they are aware of you’re complaint when the dealership submit costings under warranty ... there seems to be a thin line between what dealerships are willing to do as I believe there under a lot of pressure with volume of breakdowns etc ... complaints rang dealership on my behalf last week and authorised a curtesy car like for like to be organised as well as full cost of repair... I always follow up phone call with a email stating case number !
I think even though experience are busy they are the better than dealership to deal with and ultimately hold the answer to eventual outcome !

·
Registered
33 Posts
Mark,

Just out of interest, the 30 mile commute each way is it motorway or a lot of stop start city traffic?

Cheers

Tom

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mark,

Just out of interest, the 30 mile commute each way is it motorway or a lot of stop start city traffic?

Cheers

Tom
Tom, it's along the A36 from Frome to Bristol. So it's a mixture of fast sections and slow stop start as you pass through the outskirts of Bath.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well the LR called today to say that because the dealership loan cars were all booked out and a customer hadn't returned it on time there was no definitive date for our car to go in for work. A pretty shoddy reason if you ask me.
Then an hour later a call from the same woman, the loan car had been returned and we could collect tomorrow. A bit disappointed that for warranty work we have to take our car to the dealership, but we were supposed to be greatful that we are getting a 69 plate Velar. I don't care what car i get, within reason, just as long as we get one.

I suppose the only good thing is, if it keeps eating EGR valves I'll soon get a new Defender to drive around in. Could then class that as an extended test drive before I put my order in late next year when the commercial version is launched

·
Registered
33 Posts
Tom, it's along the A36 from Frome to Bristol. So it's a mixture of fast sections and slow stop start as you pass through the outskirts of Bath.
Thanks Mark,

I was wondering if the problem was down to lots of stop start but it doesn't sound like it.

We are coming up to 15000 miles and not had any problems so far ( Touching wood as I type )

We have done very little town traffic though.
20 mile return journey twice a week @70mph on dual carriageway door to door virtually .
Longer trips when towing the caravan.

Hope you get sorted soon.

Regards

Tom

·
Registered
1,251 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dropped car off lastnight, took 1 1/2 hrs in total. Waiting to be dealt with and then answering a million questions, so shouldn't complain, they were thorough.
But I finally found out the EML light code. Lack of flow through EGR or something similar. So it looks like it's blocked. But when it went in last time the EGR and EGR cooler were changed. So there must be a deeper fault causing this.
Anyway, as I jumped into the brand new Velar with 800 miles on the clock, the last thing they said, your car is in a queue, so won't be looked at before Friday at the earliest. So it looks like I'll be living the dream in the Velar for a couple of weeks at least

·
Registered
566 Posts
Dropped car off lastnight, took 1 1/2 hrs in total. Waiting to be dealt with and then answering a million questions, so shouldn't complain, they were thorough.
But I finally found out the EML light code. Lack of flow through EGR or something similar. So it looks like it's blocked. But when it went in last time the EGR and EGR cooler were changed. So there must be a deeper fault causing this.
Anyway, as I jumped into the brand new Velar with 800 miles on the clock, the last thing they said, your car is in a queue, so won't be looked at before Friday at the earliest. So it looks like I'll be living the dream in the Velar for a couple of weeks at least
Good Morning Markw,

Thank you for your post.

After learning of your experience, I would like to take the opportunity to offer my assistance should you require it.

Please do not hesitate to contact me, if there is any way I can help.

Many Thanks

Dan - Land Rover UK

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good Morning Markw,

Thank you for your post.

After learning of your experience, I would like to take the opportunity to offer my assistance should you require it.

Please do not hesitate to contact me, if there is any way I can help.

Many Thanks

Dan - Land Rover UK

Dan
Many thanks for your post.

Car has been with local dealer since Tues, they called today to say that they've replaced several parts and took it for an extensive test drive. But the EML light still won't stay off. So it's back in the workshop on Monday for some more extensive fault finding.
If things don't progress in the next week then I'll be back in touch

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just to close this off, for now.
We have the car back, the EML isn't on but they siad there was a fault code logged. Can't see that or maybe the wife has misunderstood.
Anyway the master tech has said the car is repaired and ready for us so we have to take his word for it. Unusual though, the they called 1/2 way through the repair and asked if I minded the tech taking my car home to get the testdrive in. They were struggling to find the time during the day. Not sure how as the tech who drove it home was the tech working on it. Anyway, to expidite the whole situation I agreed. We have the app so kep an eye on the car for the journey and where it was parked. The car went in with 1/2 - 3/4 of a tank of fuel. Came back with a full tank due to the amount of test drive mileage they'd done. So we actually profited on the fuel side of life.
We've only had it back 24hrs and driven 30 miles with it, so time will tell if it's sorted or not.

So if it goes bad again, am I within my rights to ask for another car or a refund? Despite it being 12 months old when we purchased it and we've had it 12 months.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
UPDATE

You couldn't make this up. Wife driving home from work last night. EML came back on. Called LR assistance, sent out AA tech as no LR techs available.
We now have the following issues

Exhaust gas temperature sensor (bank 1, sensor 4). Error Message : Signal plausibility not OK. Historical fault. Status :p0401 - Exhaust gas recirculation control A. Error Message : Malfunction. Error sporadic.

So another run around trying to sort this issue out. Something that I can do without today, well any day to be honest.
Wife is not a happy teddy bear, But I'm now trawling the dealer site looking at new cars. A nice RRS seems appealing now. Not so sure the wife will agree though as it's her car

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well phone call made to dealer. Answer was, you can have a courtesy car but you have to collect, if we collect your car then you don't get one.
So I firmly explained my position and what I thought of their master tech who"fixed" my car last week. And told them to sort the issue out and to contact me when they have a solution and hung up.
Fired off an email to my mate who is the busines manager there but I received his out of office, so a PM to Dan from LRCS on here. Strangely within a couple of hours my wife gets a call to arrange the drop off of the courtesy car.
Lets see if they can fix it properly this time

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Hi Markw,
This seems to be part of the "JLR EXPERIENCE" these days, very frustrating when with all of the modern technical equipment & computers they still cannot get a handle on a problem that has actually shown & stored a fault code along with a host of information regarding the problem. :mad: (n)(n) I hope this is sorted soon.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wife has just phoned. They have dropped off a courtesy car to her. Seems sending snotty emails and dropping LRCS a message get results. But it shouldn't be that way. Anyway, the wife is now a nervous wreck. She has a 30 mile journey when it's getting dark it a FFRR. She has never driven anything that big before. Biggest car she'd driven before was our D3.
I can't wait to go for a drive in it tomorrow though

1 - 20 of 49 Posts