Evoque Owners Club banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Problem.
My gearbox fault message comes up in the first 25mins in which i cant used or change the gears on the automatic box, but once switch off and switch back on again, and runs like normal driving, no problems its only when starting and running the car ,.

The car is evoque 2015 dynamic 2.2, 9 speed auto.

I know land rover says they got problems with there 9 speed gearbox but dont say how to solve the problem .

Any help on the matter much welcome.

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
3,170 Posts
Hi, in this previous thread where I suggested to the OP it might be worth changing the battery which fixed their problems :), you mention you were going to try the same. How did that work out?

That was last winter - so if you didn't change the battery and have started seeing the problem again then it could well be battery related.

"I know land rover says they got problems with there 9 speed gearbox but dont say how to solve the problem ."
First I've heard of that, can you link to where LR say that?!?

PS. It's worth updating your forum profile with your Evoque year and spec...

·
Banned
1,272 Posts
Sadly this 9 speed ZF transmission used by many manufacturers has suffered a multitude of issues over recent years. As above, the battery would be my first point of call, followed by a software update, oil level and wiring harness checks. From memory ZF recalled about 500,000 9 Speeds in 2016 due to a faulty sensor which included the Evoque and Disco.

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
3,170 Posts
It looks like 324k of the recalls were for Jeep and Chrysler back in 2016...
Being 4 years ago hopefully that recall isn't relevant to the OP if the gearbox has been ok up to now?

·
Banned
1,272 Posts
Never assume anything...and still get the basics checked as the ZF9 is a bit of a dog regardless of which chassis it’s dropped into. That’s the main reason why I went for a BMW X3 with a ZF8 instead of an Evoque with a ZF9 in 2016.

Hopefully it’s the battery...but corroded wiring looms as per our 2 Jeep Commanders were a problem with seamless shifts from time to time. As for our Disco, the gearbox just ate itself!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, in this previous thread where I suggested to the OP it might be worth changing the battery which fixed their problems :), you mention you were going to try the same. How did that work out?

That was last winter - so if you didn't change the battery and have started seeing the problem again then it could well be battery related.

"I know land rover says they got problems with there 9 speed gearbox but dont say how to solve the problem ."
First I've heard of that, can you link to where LR say that?!?

PS. It's worth updating your forum profile with your Evoque year and spec...

I did change the battery but still seeing this problem keeping up but i have AA car helper by the plug in so i can check things on their app to see if theres a problem but nothing comes up on it since i change the battery .

·
Registered
2013 Evoque Coupe Dynamic 2.2 SD4 Auto
285 Posts
Are you talking about the main battery being changed or the one behind the glove box?
Think the small glove box one controls the gearbox. I changed mine recently and found operation was better - not sure if the gearbox is reset by disconnecting/reconnecting this battery anyway - without doing a manual reset.

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
3,170 Posts
Are you talking about the main battery being changed or the one behind the glove box?
Think the small glove box one controls the gearbox. I changed mine recently and found operation was better - not sure if the gearbox is reset by disconnecting/reconnecting this battery anyway - without doing a manual reset.
I believe only the earlier 6 speed autos have that battery.

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
3,170 Posts
I guess nothing to lose by doing the s/w gearbox reset though? Although I think it's clutching at straws, the OP needs to get the fault code somehow.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,
Problem.
My gearbox fault message comes up in the first 25mins in which i cant used or change the gears on the automatic box, but once switch off and switch back on again, and runs like normal driving, no problems its only when starting and running the car ,.

The car is evoque 2015 dynamic 2.2, 9 speed auto.

I know land rover says they got problems with there 9 speed gearbox but dont say how to solve the problem .

Any help on the matter much welcome.
Happened to me. 2014 9speed gearbox. GearBox Fault message on the dash. After a few times ON & OFF the engine the car can move. I did checked there is no Auxiliary Battery on this 9speed gearbox model. Wondering what’s the problem. Will keep update.

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
14,057 Posts
Not on my Evoque but I had a gearbox fault on a Jaguar a few years ago when the battery died. New battery got rid of the warning.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sadly this 9 speed ZF transmission used by many manufacturers has suffered a multitude of issues over recent years. As above, the battery would be my first point of call, followed by a software update, oil level and wiring harness checks. From memory ZF recalled about 500,000 9 Speeds in 2016 due to a faulty sensor which included the Evoque and Disco.
Who are ZF please, newbie 🙈

·
Registered
MY20.5 R-Dynamic HSE
3,504 Posts
The gearbox manufacturers

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
14,057 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts