Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I received the Gearbox Fault the other day for the first time. ( I just had the vehicle returned from a major service) The light popped up, so I stopped as per instruction. It went off for around 5 days, and again today the light showed up. Im guessing this is a serious gearbox problem? Im scared to take it in to LR as they may say I need a new Gearbox for thousands? ( 2013 Evoque) Any ideas anyone? Am I the first? Thanks

Registered
Take it the Car is out of Warranty?

Maybe an Indie close by can put it on the Diagnostics for you & read the Codes? Could it have something to do with the recent service? Where was that done?

Super Moderator
Have you checked the condition of the battery. I had a gearbox fault warning on a Jaguar a few years ago after It had sat for a while and the battery had gone flat. Charged the battery and the warning went.

Registered
As above. I got the message when I disconnect my battery. I would try that first, especially if you are still on your original battery. A low or dying battery throws up all sorts of warning lights on these cars.

Registered
"Gearbox Fault Select park before Engine Start"

Just checking you meant 'start' and not 'stop' - as I see more reports for that?

As others are saying the battery looks likely. I've also read that the auxiliary battery can cause this (for 'stop'). This battery is used for the stop/start function on automatic RREs.

How's your stop/start working as this seems a good test for the battery condition? i.e. If the battery(s) not good then stop/start shouldn't be working.

Registered
recordman said:
2013 (6 sp auto) doesn't have stop/start, so no aux battery fitted.

In the 2011 Owners Manual (Publication Part Number. LRL10 02 60 121) it mentions stop/start ?!
But perhaps that's not all vehicles, and also the additional battery might have come along later???

Registered
S/S was only installed on manual cars 2011-14. IIRC S/S was installed on 2014+ cars fitted with 9sp auto boxes along with the additional battery.

Registered
Re stop/start, the OP is an South Africa so maybe it does have SS?

Registered
I was only using stop/start as a possible simple means to gauge the health of the battery(s)

Hopefully the OP will return with an update on the outcome...

Registered
Not sure if the original owner fixed this - but there might be a bit of confusion.

There is a Second Battery and there is a different Auxiliary Battery. They are different. The Auxiliary Battery has nothing to do with Start / Stop, but the terminology is used interchangeably by some.

Also even if you don't have Start/Stop - you do have a "second battery" - your Auxiliary Battery!

1. For searching sake = in other markets the same error may read "transmission fault select park before engine start" instead.
2. Battery that may be involved is adjacent to the fuse box behind the glove box.
3. Search for videos on how to replace your cabin air filter - there are two panels that need to be removed, no tools needed. Once the panels are removed the only tool needed is a medium screwdriver to pry the battery (only sitting in a vertically mounted case called the "Auxiliary Battery Power Module") upward, so that it can be pulled out (towards you/the back of the car). It has a pair of "F1" type terminals (slip on/slip off) that you'll need to remove the two battery wires from (yellow wire/red positive terminal - Black wire/black negative terminal).
4. Land Rover Part number for the Auxiliary Battery is "BJ32-19G207C-AA" - that's the paper label, but the battery I took out is a "Power Sonic" "PS-1212" 12 Volt 1.2 Amp Hr
5. Size is
L: 3.78 (96)
W: 1.69 (43)
H: 2.04 (52)
HT: 2.28 (58)
http://www.power-sonic.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/PS-1212 technical specifications.pdf
6. It is an AGM type battery used for home security battery backup / UPS backup /wheelchairs and weighs over a pound.
7. I tried by hand to "lift" the battery upward so that it could slip over the lip of a plastic piece holding it in place in its module, but failed. Using the screwdriver to pry it upward a few millimeters allowed me to slide (towards the rear) it out by hand. No need to remove the module first - it has a hex bolt that is accessible, but may have two others on top that are not, if they exist.

Hope this helps,

Bill

Registered
Nice one Bill, good write up. 馃憤

Registered
Not sure if the original owner fixed this - but there might be a bit of confusion.

There is a Second Battery and there is a different Auxiliary Battery. They are different. The Auxiliary Battery has nothing to do with Start / Stop, but the terminology is used interchangeably by some.

Also even if you don't have Start/Stop - you do have a "second battery" - your Auxiliary Battery!

1. For searching sake = in other markets the same error may read "transmission fault select park before engine start" instead.
2. Battery that may be involved is adjacent to the fuse box behind the glove box.
3. Search for videos on how to replace your cabin air filter - there are two panels that need to be removed, no tools needed. Once the panels are removed the only tool needed is a medium screwdriver to pry the battery (only sitting in a vertically mounted case called the "Auxiliary Battery Power Module") upward, so that it can be pulled out (towards you/the back of the car). It has a pair of "F1" type terminals (slip on/slip off) that you'll need to remove the two battery wires from (yellow wire/red positive terminal - Black wire/black negative terminal).
4. Land Rover Part number for the Auxiliary Battery is "BJ32-19G207C-AA" - that's the paper label, but the battery I took out is a "Power Sonic" "PS-1212" 12 Volt 1.2 Amp Hr
5. Size is
L: 3.78 (96)
W: 1.69 (43)
H: 2.04 (52)
HT: 2.28 (58)
http://www.power-sonic.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/PS-1212 technical specifications.pdf
6. It is an AGM type battery used for home security battery backup / UPS backup /wheelchairs and weighs over a pound.
7. I tried by hand to "lift" the battery upward so that it could slip over the lip of a plastic piece holding it in place in its module, but failed. Using the screwdriver to pry it upward a few millimeters allowed me to slide (towards the rear) it out by hand. No need to remove the module first - it has a hex bolt that is accessible, but may have two others on top that are not, if they exist.

Hope this helps,

Bill
Hello Bill,

Did this resolve the gearbox fault message issue in the end by replacing this battery?

Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts