Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had another gearbox fault message. Leave the car and try again later then it's fine.
I have the main 80Ah battery measuring 12.3v cold and the Aux battery in the engine bay reading 13v.
Am I right in thinking it's the main battery and is there anyone near to Lincolnshire who can reset the battery monitoring system if I replace the battery.

My current battery is Range Rover Evoque Car Battery 12V 80Ah 800 AMP AGM Stop Start | LR091092 VARTA | eBay
and looks to be the same as the Exide EK800? EK800 115 AGM Exide Car Battery 80Ah - Audi BMW Ford Merc Renault Seat Toyota | eBay

·
Registered
9,876 Posts
As far as I know if the battery is slightly below its charge or not holding a full charge as gets older it can throw up all kind of faults... how old is battery ? There quite reasonable on tanya

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
13,028 Posts
Main battery needs to be 12.6v or 12.7v at least

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks both. Looks like the original battery, so 6 years old.
I went for a drive and checked again. 12.4v after I let it rest, so I'll get a new one. Doesn't look too difficult to change

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
New battery now on order.
In the mean time I'd put the old one on a charger for a few hours and it went up to 12.97v. I'll check again in the morning to see if it drops back down again.

·
Registered
9,876 Posts
What Battery did you go for ... where from ?
Might help others especially if you let us know how change over goes ... and price if that’s not to cheeky😘

Reactions: Muffking

·
Registered
9,876 Posts
I fitted the exide ek800 in ours back in November 2019 and it’s been faultless ever since 👍
Just a straightforward swap over... any resets?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
2013 2.2 sd4 5dr santorini black
22 Posts
Just a straightforward swap over... any resets?
You have to remove the strut brace but then it’s the same as any other battery to swap, then you will need the battery monitoring system reset so it charges your new battery correctly, I used an iiDtool to do mine but most decent diagnostics should be able to do it

·
Registered
9,876 Posts
Will do Donna.
I've been having the odd battery message, but it's mainly the gearbox warning that has been problematic. To be fair though it has been very cold recently.
I ordered the one in the ebay link for £117.99. Pretty much the same price as everywhere else, but with free delivery.
EK800 115 AGM Exide Car Battery 80Ah - Audi BMW Ford Merc Renault Seat Toyota | eBay
Did you try Maffy s gearbox reset.... seems to improve lots of gearbox issues ... looks pretty simple too @Maffy

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did you try Maffy s gearbox reset.... seems to improve lots of gearbox issues ... looks pretty simple too @Maffy
Yeah I did that when I bought the car earlier on this year, although I've not done it since the problems started.

·
Registered
9,876 Posts
You have to remove the strut brace but then it’s the same as any other battery to swap, then you will need the battery monitoring system reset so it charges your new battery correctly, I used an iiDtool to do mine but most decent diagnostics should be able to do it
Ive read this several times about having battery programmed... to be honest it’s way over my head .. is it just the box you plug into car to show faults with you need?
Always wanted to ask but didn’t want to sound stupid 😂😂

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ive read this several times about having battery programmed... to be honest it’s way over my head .. is it just the box you plug into car to show faults with you need?
Always wanted to ask but didn’t want to sound stupid 😂😂
You're about there. What you've described is a fault code reader (scanner). The more advanced ones can actually make changes to the car, but they tend to be manufacturer specific. That's why I posted on the other thread asking if there is a JLR mobile App as scanners these days can connect to your phone, which means your phone can run the software to program the car.

·
Registered
9,876 Posts
Wow ... let us know if you find app.. bit too much for my level of car knowledge.. sidesteps and wd40 silicon spray I can help with lol

Reactions: Muffking

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Let me give you an example.
My other car is a BMW and I have a fault code reader which will read and clear most faults on both the BMW and the Evoque.
Here's a pretty standard code reader. They work on just about every car out there made from around 2004 when OBD became standard, but that's all they will do unless you spend a few hundred pounds on a model specific version.

I also have an OBD dongle which connects to my phone via WiFi.
You can run pretty much any OBD App to read and clear codes just like a regular fault code reader, but the benefit of using your phone with this type of adapter is that you can install more advanced Apps that are capable of making changes to the car.
For example I use Apps for the BMW called BimmerCode and BimmerLink, which in addition can code a new battery, force a DPF regen and even change the factory characteristics of the car i.e. the sound of the warning bongs, temperature settings for the heated seats, brightness of the headlamps etc. That's why I'm on the hunt for an App that will work on the Evoque.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Finally got round to fitting the new main battery yesterday.
Takes about 30 mins of faff, removing the strut brace and all the other gubbins out of the way.

I rigged up a lead to a spare battery to keep the car electrics powered so it didn't throw a wobbly when the new battery was reconnected, such as resetting the window positions, electric tailgate, radio, clock etc.

New battery in.
I've not reset the BMS, but already the tailgate works without the engine running, so all good so far. Not bad for £118.

·
Registered
2013 Evoque Coupe Dynamic 2.2 SD4 Auto
165 Posts
If you remove the airbox infront of the battery, the front of the battery housing can be unclipped and battery slid forward and out - makes it so much easier.
I have the iCarsoft CRV2.0 - great for diagnostics and does reset BMS.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts