Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Our car has developed a problem that is sometimes starts to smell inside the car, if:
  • the car is fully warmed up (30+ mins)
  • a hot day
  • stuck in traffic

It is a 'engine fumes' type smell.

We first noticed it following a Gearbox seal replacement (under warranty). When I got home, I could smell the fumes and could see small amount of steam/smoke coming from the drivers side of the engine bay. I thought it was probably a drip of fluid spilled somewhere during the work and left it.

Didn't happen again (5 or 6 journeys) and then it occurred when in heavy traffic (start/stop).

Went back to JLR who identified a leaky turbo gasket, and replaced it. (I wasn't 100% convinced this was the root cause, as whilst there was a lot of carbon leakage, I couldn't work out how that would result in steam/smoke)

Anyway, following that fix, it has started again. No smoke this time, but acrid smell.

Any ideas before I take it back to them (forewarned is forearmed!)

Thanks in advanced

2016 2.0Td4 (180bhp)

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
2,793 Posts
Hi. It sounds like the recent work has disturbed a gasket, similar issues have been reported before on the forum.
Try a search for 'fumes' to see the threads. Hard to tell from your description whether it's linked to a DPF regen?
But it's normally found to be a dodgy gasket.

LRA always look for soot to see where leaks are happening.

Reactions: Thatch

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hard to tell from your description whether it's linked to a DPF regen?
Thanks for your input. Interested in the DPF Regen theory, as the smell is not obvious (Oil, Steam etc.) and it is the first car we have had with this system.

Just to be clear, even if the regeneration process is the cause of the smell, we shouldn't be able to smell it right?

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
2,793 Posts
@Thatch No you shouldn't get fumes inside the car.
For those getting the regen smell/fumes it's always been a gasket problem. The forum has posts on this...

You might smell it if you get out of the car after a recent regen.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you know the specific gasket that causes this? (My searches of the site haven’t been successful yet)?

Also the more I think about it the less I think it is the DPF regen process, as it seems to happen at low speeds in traffic jams.
Anyway, thanks for the help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts