Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was amazed today when parking nose in to a low wall that my "beeps" did not sound. I freaked that there was something wrong with my shiny new car so I phoned the dealer. Apparently the front sensors only sound if you switch them on manually each time, unless you have been reversing when they work automatically. I was told that this was to avoid them going off when you approach a car in a queue of traffic.
Am quite disappointed by this and puzzled as my Mercedes had front beeps which worked automatically.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks Panda,I have been meaning to phone dealer saying the front sensors aren't working, so you have saved me a call.

I crushed a parking cone earlier today!

Thanks so much.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yes I was very confused by this and hadn't yet worked it out so thanks for the info.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guess if you are used to RR you would expect this, but a lot of us are new to RR and I definitely didn't expect it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Oh no!
My kids turned my parking sensors off in my Honda and I drove in to a wall

I will have to remember to turn the ones on in the Evoque when I get it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I am SO pleased I have learned of this here. When my car arrives I would have assumed that the front sensors would sound, as in the Merc, and if the worst did not happen (which I think it would have as I rely on the system so heavily) it would have been an irate me on to the dealer!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Yep. One of the areas where the Mercs have it nailed on, providing a visual always on sensor and beeps only when getting really close. BM is the same as RR too. Not good to be honest but you'll get used.

·
Registered
99 Posts
My RRS works like the Evoque does. You get used to it and turn on the sensors when you go forward into a slot. I don't think I would like the sensors to work like the Merc if they come on when you approach another car in a queue.
They work when you have previously selected reverse and so that is quite good. When you have exceeded a few mph they turn off again just like the reverse sensors.

I think the system is great. No doubt it is what you are used to that works best for you.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In fact, the Mercedes did not beep when in a queue. Don't know how it works but it is a great system. As Geogeo said, the visual aspect was great and was what I used mostly.
However, I'll get used to this now that I know. It's the only thing that has disappointed me with the car so far.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Dear all,<div id="myWatcherDiv" style="display:none;">

I have been in a similar position - before my Evoque, I had a Mercedes CLK and that had parking sensors that turned on below a certain speed (5mph I think). So I was surprised when the Eqoque didn't do the same, being a luxury car and all.

I have now rationalised why the Evoque does what it does - it's very simple really. At it's heart, the designers are wanting it to be capable off road, and to want it to be usable on road. if you're driving off rid through grass, through bush, through mud etc. then you don't really want to be distracted by all those beeps (and there are many of them - a cacophony of bells and whistles if you try and try and turn an Evoque around in someones semi-detached houses's driveway in Orpington, I can tell you!) if the forward sensors are on so the logical design choice is to have the forward sensors turned off. They are there if you need them though.

Rob, only drove into Dad's Garage door once before working this out.

·
Registered
186 Posts
The off road point is spot on I think. It will just take some getting used to. As previously, thank goodness this was pointed out before I got my car though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts