Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
Happy New Year!

Has anyone noticed that the standard (non camera) front park sensors are really slow in picking any obstructions up even when driving at snails pace?

It's becoming a running joke in our household that you'll either have hit something or be just about to before the front sensors come on. The back one's & camera seem great though.

I was wondering if it's same with everyone or just our car?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Think about it for a minute - it's a off roader. With a fairly high approach angle, the last thing you need is an annoying beeping noise anytime you take it off road and as the car can't tell the difference between parking in Sainsburys or driving up to and then over an obstacle, I suspect the front sensors are doing as well as they can under the circumstances.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi Rob,
Happy New Year.

I have yet to read the manual, but a posting last week advised that the front only 'activate' if selected or you have used reverse gear.

Need to read manual to check I'm correct, but mine does work when the sensor button is pressed. The reverse sensors and camera work automatically. Just the front needs 'selecting' when required.

Hope this helps. I crushed a parking cone the other day between me at the wall, 'waiting' for the front sensors to work, but I had driven in to the space.

The reason given was to stop them bleeping in traffic, something I appreciate after driving a Bentley into central London the first time I drove it, and the front sensors were really annoying!

Sooty

·
Registered
136 Posts
Sooty is correct. Front parking sensors have to be activated either via reverse or pressing the button. I don't like it but is the same on BM's too.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is a button to activate and de activate the sensors as required to include activating without having to select reverse - having owned several off roader cars mostly larger ones than the Evoque this seems unsually slow to pick up anything infront of it - 'Sooty's' note only backs this up (hoping the parking cone didnt make a mark!).

'MrFuji' - I would expect the sensitivity of the sensors to be higher on an off road car to take into account mud etc that could quite feasibly cover the front of the car when driving off road and the fact you have to activate the sensors if you havent selected reverse would eliminate any annoyance for sure.

I reckon if there were any dirt on the sensors at all they wouldnt pick up a thing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
hi Rob.angushave you hit something in the front before the sensors beep while they are activatedoryou ALMOST hit something ?

·
Registered
63 Posts
The guy that designed the 'front parking sensors don't work unless you select reverse' idea needs shooting! What a wally .................. Doesn't help if you drive into a car park and straight into a space does it! Amazing what some designers must think :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
They say they do not work all the time because if you are offroading they will be set off all the time..Why not have a button to turn them off whilst offroading instead!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi Broady
No, they go off when you exceed a few mph in forward motion.

Brian

·
Registered
208 Posts
brianlawrence said:
Hi Broady
No, they go off when you exceed a few mph in forward motion.

Brian

I know I could find the answers by trial and error, but, to save bumping into something while I do, can you clarify the following, please? (So far, I've not got close enough to have heard a 'bing'.)

When the light on the switch is oON, are the front sensors active or disabled?

They deactivate when you exceed a threshold speed, but, when you slow down, are they back ON if you had them on in the first place, or do you constantly have to re-set them to get them on again?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Light ON = active sensors.
Once it isOFFit iseither started again manually or, more usually,by selecting reverse gear.

·
Registered
208 Posts
brianlawrence said:
Light ON = active sensors.
Once it isOFFit iseither started again manually or, more usually,by selecting reverse gear.

Thanks. That's what I originally thought, but I was beginning to have doubts as I hadn't heard the 'bing'. I'll just have to be bolder when approaching obstacles!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Perhaps the sound level within the car is low, you could try increasing the volume?

·
Registered
6 Posts
all my sensors are not working now, only 2k on clock. They work when i am not near anything and then when i go in to reverse nothing happens. Also the line on the reverse camera have stopped also, have it booked in next week to sort (i hope)

·
Registered
208 Posts
cookiebyrne said:
all my sensors are not working now, only 2k on clock. They work when i am not near anything and then when i go in to reverse nothing happens. Also the line on the reverse camera have stopped also, have it booked in next week to sort (i hope)

It's amazing how things like that can happen, as you usually expect electronic equipment to work or not, rather than lose a particular attribute. Maybe this is all down to software?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Shame they don't have a car image showing how close you are at the front. My Audi had it & I miss it ! Although I'm loving the reversing camera...

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
I'm with you Wrench - the image would make the sensors much more useful.

On my Mazda CX-7 the parking aid would quantify the gap (between you and the obstacle)in centimetres! Very, very useful.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts