Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I couldn't find a similar problem to mine hence a new post.

My car has been giving me the battery warning light for a few months, so we'll take it for a long drive and then a week later the same. With lockdown and being furloughed I've not been out in the car for over a month. When I went to use it the other day I couldn't open the door using the remote fob key, so resorted to using the manual key within the fob. This is not even unlocking the door.

So I now can't get open the car, which would then enable me to access the boot to get the battery replaced.

The car is parked outside my home (street parking) and I do have home road side recovery and I'm lucky have a mechanic's garage nearby.

Has anyone had similar, or any tips of how I can either open the car door or failing that open the bonnet so the mechanic can take a look.

The Evoque is a 2017 model / HSE Dynamic Manual

Thank you in advance and wishing I'd replace the battery sooner.

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
2,793 Posts
Hi All

My car has been giving me the battery warning light for a few months, so we'll take it for a long drive and then a week later the same. With lockdown and being furloughed I've not been out in the car for over a month. When I went to use it the other day I couldn't open the door using the remote fob key, so resorted to using the manual key within the fob. This is not even unlocking the door.

So I now can't get open the car, which would then enable me to access the boot to get the battery replaced.

The car is parked outside my home (street parking) and I do have home road side recovery and I'm lucky have a mechanic's garage nearby.

Has anyone had similar, or any tips of how I can either open the car door or failing that open the bonnet so the mechanic can take a look.

Welcome to the forum.

Any luck with this?
I thought the physical emergency key would work in situations like this - but perhaps not going by what you are saying?

Here's LR's tutorial on the emergency key:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the forum.

Any luck with this?
I thought the physical emergency key would work in situations like this - but perhaps not going by what you are saying?

Here's LR's tutorial on the emergency key:

Thank you for the video, I'll have another go. My husband and I have tried this twice but it's still not unlocking using the physical emergency key, my husband thinks it's due to having no power with the battery being completely flat - but it's worth another try, maybe we're not turning enough. Thank you so much for your speedy reply, I really appreciate it :)

·
Registered
246 Posts
Try a squirt of wd40 in the lock in case its seized up. The manual key should get you in the car, after all thats what it designed for.

·
Registered
466 Posts
It should work, my battery draned to <4v a couple of weeks ago and I got in with the emergency key, it was quite stiff to turn (less than 1/4 turn anti clockwise IIRC)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It should work, my battery draned to <4v a couple of weeks ago and I got in with the emergency key, it was quite stiff to turn (less than 1/4 turn anti clockwise IIRC)
I am now finally in - both key fobs were not working for a week, was about to try the emergency key again with a bit more force after your experience and one of the keys managed to link with the car - I'm so relieved and thanks so much for replying :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions, I'm truly grateful you all took the time out to reply to me - I'm now in the car, I ran the engine for 15 minutes and will take it for a long drive after peak hour has passed - too many LTNs near me so don't want to break down sitting in known traffic - was already booked in for an MOT tomorrow so can now actually drive to the garage for a good look over.

Both fob keys were not working for the last week, I tried both, husband tried both - but today one of the keys managed to communicate with the car and we got in - so yay - took a pic of the battery and I think we'll get that changed :)

Thank you all again and keep safe and well X

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
2,793 Posts
@AussieEvoque Good to hear you are in! (y)

Hope the MOT goes well...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All

Hi mate - what you’ve described is basically exactly what’s happening with mine (2015 evoque sd4 dynamic)... my battery seems to be draining when it’s sat Jon he street so was really low but now both fobs won’t open it! I’ve changed the fob batteries and still nothing... did you ever diagnose the issue? I have it booked in on Thursday but presently can’t get in 🤣🤣🤣

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
13,371 Posts
Hi mate - what you’ve described is basically exactly what’s happening with mine (2015 evoque sd4 dynamic)... my battery seems to be draining when it’s sat Jon he street so was really low but now both fobs won’t open it! I’ve changed the fob batteries and still nothing... did you ever diagnose the issue? I have it booked in on Thursday but presently can’t get in 🤣🤣🤣
Have you tried opening the door using the emergency key ?

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
13,371 Posts
Open the bonnet and try charging the battery or using a booster pack

1 - 15 of 15 Posts