Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like many others, Ive been beset with the dreaded 'Low Battery' warning - especially prevalent during the winter months.
JLRs usual advice is to take it to the dealers to have the battery charged overnight, but as I'm now out of warranty & I'll be buggered if I'm going to carry the battery back & forth into the garage to my 'old school' charger every couple of weeks, so I went & bought a CTEK Smart Charger.

I bought the CTEK MSX 5.0 (conveniently reduced to £54 on black friday) together with the CTE-56382 Comfort indicator plug, which I subsequently lenghtened by 600mm so it would easily fit between the battery & the front grill.

<h1 id="title" ="a-size-large="" a-spacing-none"="" style="-sizing: border-; padding: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-left: 0px; text-rendering: optimizeLegibility; font-weight: 400; color: rgb17, 17, 17; font-family: "Amazon Ember", Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 21px !imant; line-height: 1.3 !imant;">
</h1>I also bought the CTEK 2.5m extension lead to go between the house & the grill

Stage 1 - Fitting the cable between battery & Grill

Remove Front Grill

Note that grill is also located in the botton centre catch (beneath the ACC radar unit on my car}

I chose this location as it provides easy access to the plug, but also remains well hidden

The cable is now readily routed around to the battery box & attached to the battery lugs via the 8mm terminals

Grill is now replaced by sharply pushing bottom locators into holes & tightening top screws

Charging cable can now be easily connected

Stage 2 - Drilling through house wall to attach waterproof box housing the extension feed

.... will update when done

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
...and all the neighbours will think you've got some new 'Tesla' EV Land Rover!

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Great pictorial Restyler, well played!

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
Nice one. I have one of these conditioners for my Stag as it's barely used. They are very good

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
restyler said:
Stage 2 - Drilling through house wall to attach waterproof box housing the extension feed .... will update when done

So here's the update:-

Drilled hole large enough for charger socket to pass through garage wall

...and mounted waterproof box

Extended the 2.5m extension cable by another 5m & connected to car

Switched on the charger (mounted on wall just inside garage)

Charging sequence of Ctek MXS 5.0

Job Done - Hopefully no more 'Low Battery' Warnings

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Neat installation Restyler. Reminds me of the Optimate system which I've used for years on jet skis and Hydroplane. Very similar short fly lead with waterproof socket connected to battery terminals. Originally designed for motor bikes. Alas those days are now behind me˜­

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
...and all the neighbours will think you've got some new 'Tesla' EV Land Rover!

This actually happened last week when a friend called round while it was connected up to the charger.
Now, he's been a passenger for around a dozen times so you'd have thought he might have heard the diesel engine by now, but was stunned when he saw the cable going from the wall box into the car!

..... obviously this was too good an opportunity to miss, so I went along with it & told him that for the last 4 years I'd been the proud owner of a hybrid with a diesel back up engine.
:grin:

·
Registered
52 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice - is the negative attached to a bolt under the bar now? And are these M8 eyelets?

Also did you see any adverse affects in charging times after extending the cable to 5m?

Thanks.
Hi - Yes its attached to a pre-existing bolt which I think was either 6mm or 8mm {too cold to go out and have a look}

As I've only ever used this system with the extended cable, I cant comment on before & after charging times, however, as I used the same quality & thickness cable as the original CTEK cable to extend it only by around 5M, I wouldnt expect to see any difference in times at all.

In fact, even if I'd extended it by say 100M, I don't think there would have been any losses likely to contribute to any deterioration of the charging cycle.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi - Yes its attached to a pre-existing bolt which I think was either 6mm or 8mm {too cold to go out and have a look}

As I've only ever used this system with the extended cable, I cant comment on before & after charging times, however, as I used the same quality & thickness cable as the original CTEK cable to extend it only by around 5M, I wouldnt expect to see any difference in times at all.

In fact, even if I'd extended it by say 100M, I don't think there would have been any losses likely to contribute to any deterioration of the charging cycle.
Ah great thanks - I am ordering the 8mm comfort connector eyelet then as the included 6mm eyelets doesn't fit on most of the bolts attached to the battery poles... That bolt I have located on my car now - I assume you took that bolt off completely to feed the eyelet though..? Hopefully it is safe to remove the bolt completely....

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Great post, well done -looks a very professional job.:smile:

·
Registered
134 Posts
The Red Wire that goes to the + of the battery Needs a in line FUSE fitting, near to the battery end to protect the cable if it was every shorted out / shorted to earth.

It is never a good idea to connect anything to a car battery with out some kind of fuse protection as there is a lot of power in a car battery, if the wire/cable was every shorted it would glow like a electric fire element and set fire to the car !.

·
Super Moderator
2,311 Posts
Yes make sure you buy the 8mm Comfort connector with the inline fuse, not the one without (why do they even sell this!)

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Great post with lots of very good advice, thank you all. (y) (y)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts