Evoque Owners Club banner

81 - 100 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
MY20.5 Range Rover Evoque (L551) First Edition P250 in Nolita Grey on a 70 plate
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Thanks. I won’t fret about it too much as the car is truly lovely. It is such an attractive looking car outside and in.

Pleasingly, I’ve not even got 100 miles on the clock and I’m getting 32.6mpg on my 15 mile journey to work (according to the Remote app jounrey log). There and back trips have both been around 32mpg. That’s a mix of fast country roads with some 30mph roads, but no traffic.

Turning circle isn’t brilliant but acceptable. Finding the auto gearbox changes a bit odd at times, with it going up and down the gearbox when I don’t expect it to.

Seating will take a good while to get a good comfortable position. The steering wheel requires getting used to as it seems huge compared to the very small wheel on my previous car.

Much of the additional functionality is turned off as default, so I’m discovering the myriad of options. I work in IT and even with the paper manual, finding it difficult to locate everything. I reckon a lot of new owners probably never find half the options!

Off to work out how to get brake hold working.

Reactions: ukcommander

·
Registered
181 Posts
Thanks. I won’t fret about it too much as the car is truly lovely. It is such an attractive looking car outside and in.

Pleasingly, I’ve not even got 100 miles on the clock and I’m getting 32.6mpg on my 15 mile journey to work (according to the Remote app jounrey log). There and back trips have both been around 32mpg. That’s a mix of fast country roads with some 30mph roads, but no traffic.

Turning circle isn’t brilliant but acceptable. Finding the auto gearbox changes a bit odd at times, with it going up and down the gearbox when I don’t expect it to.

Seating will take a good while to get a good comfortable position. The steering wheel requires getting used to as it seems huge compared to the very small wheel on my previous car.

Much of the additional functionality is turned off as default, so I’m discovering the myriad of options. I work in IT and even with the paper manual, finding it difficult to locate everything. I reckon a lot of new owners probably never find half the options!

Off to work out how to get brake hold working.
I think a lot of owners only use a fraction of the functions on their cars.. my wife is a prime example.. when she spec’d her mini the only two things on the options list she didn’t have was the head up display and the dynamic suspension, everything else was added, park assist, adaptive cruise, blind spot monitor, lane assist etc etc. In two years the only thing she’s done so far was to pair her phone to the car!!! and I did that.

im glad you’re enjoying your new car... slightly envious now.. still waiting on a new delivery date following the upgrading to an autobiography..

happy motoring

·
Registered
MY20.5 Range Rover Evoque (L551) First Edition P250 in Nolita Grey on a 70 plate
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Looking at your spec, it'll be well worth the wait!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #84 (Edited)
Drama over! Just untucked the rubber seal by hand that was tucked in the top door trim. All good now!

Not a major issue after all! Just me fretting.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I’m glad you sorted that out. It would have got to you eventually 😁
So for the very first time, last night, we were out for a meal & on the way home, I finally got to see the auto main beam & auto dip function working. It was quite impressive to see, on dark country lanes when street lights disappeared the main beam popped up & when a car came towards us it dipped & then came back on afterwards.
There are so many things I‘ve yet to discover.

Reactions: rencar

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Great update.

I’m particularly looking forward to my first night time trip to see what these matrix lights are like.

I’ve had xenons and my last car had LED headlights with automatic dipping (which didn’t work that well).

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Please can someone explain the vehicle modes on the lower screen. I’ve got comfort program selected at the moment, but not sure if that’s the default position or whether I should tap Auto and then it’s says something like Auto terrain response? Which one would be the usual driving for day to day road driving. Wasn’t sure what eco does either

I don’t have the dynamic option, but wondered whether any of these had any effect on the steering at all?

I’ll start on the 400 page manual to see what I can see!

·
Registered
Evoque MY20 First Edition in Seoul Pearl Silver
1,776 Posts
"The comfort driving program is automatically selected each time the ignition is switched on. The previous driving program selection is not retained when the ignition is switched off.

Some vehicles have the AUTO driving program, which automatically determines and selects the appropriate driving program for the current terrain and driving conditions. "

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Oh ok. Thanks.

So the auto button is a one off push that does something else. Then when you turn the ignition off it always reverts back to comfort program?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Terrain Response 2 is what gives the auto option, the car works out which TR mode is required, but it'll stay in comfort mode for normal driving.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Some very early further new car observations:

The P250 lacks some of the torque I’ve been used to in the past 18 years of diesel engined vehicles. Nothing bothersome, just different. When the car has more miles on it, I’ll be happier to open her up through the rev range, to see what it can do.

I do find the A pillar on the new Evoque quite large (compared to my previous car). So much so, I have to be more careful pulling out at junctions (particularly on the passsnger side), as I look left to check the road is clear.

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
2,112 Posts
Yes, the wide A pillar takes a bit of getting used to.

·
Registered
2018 2.0 SD4 HSE Dynamic, Auto, 5 door, Santorini Black with Cirrus Windsor leather
40 Posts
Just catching up here.....stunning car rencar. Happy motoring! As others have said, many happy hours of knob twiddling to come....

·
Premium Member
68 plate HSE Petrol Dynamic
56 Posts
Hello rencar ... as others have already said a lovely looking example you must be pleased. Ours is 2 years old this coming Nov so looking to change when 3 years old .. looking at the P300 at the mo but the new F Pace facelift is out soon with all the tech upgrade (at least still under the JLR stable) also to note we have not had one single issue with our Evoque since new
all the best

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Trip to work today (usual 15.3 miles) recorded in the LR Remote app as 34.2 mpg. Average speed 29mph and 34 mins journey time.

Only got 200 miles on clock so far. P250 engine is delivering ok mpg for me at the moment.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Still very much getting used to the new car. I used the live petrol pricing to find the closest, cheapest fuel.

Fuel warning light came on at 35 miles, so a tank full has offered me around 310 miles. Not brilliant, but works for me. Nice to not have the usual diesel hands and grubby fuel pump handle. With Covid, still using a glove with the unleaded pump.

I do find the engine braking much more severe than any other car I’ve had. You get used to it, but I think it’s linked to the MHEV function. Lifting my foot off the accelerator results in coasting and fairly rapid slowing down, without having to apply the brakes. Just adapting to this.

I’ve also discovered Sport mode which really does enhance the throttle response and gear changes. I particular like the rev counter appearing up on the Head Up display when Sport is enabled from the gear lever. I have wondered about the whole journey in this mode, as quick starts are feasible. In Normal automatic mode, the gearbox wakes up after a second or two, but does rather slip up and down the gearbox at odd times.

Now I’ve enabled the feature, Brake Hold is excellent. Use that a lot.

Adaptive cruise is working, but I’m not confident with it. I got into the LIM function the other day which I think was reading the speed limit and I got confused with it, so turned it off.

I pushed the lane departure button on the steering wheel, which lit up, but nothing seemed to occur when I went towards a white line. I think something else to enable.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I do find the engine braking much more severe than any other car I’ve had. You get used to it, but I think it’s linked to the MHEV function. Lifting my foot off the accelerator results in coasting and fairly rapid slowing down, without having to apply the brakes. Just adapting to this.

Adaptive cruise is working, but I’m not confident with it. I got into the LIM function the other day which I think was reading the speed limit and I got confused with it, so turned it off.
Yes, the extra engine braking is the car charging up the MHEV battery and you do get used to it.

I'm normally a technophobe but with 20 miles of 50mph limit on the M4 near me I use the adaptive cruise quite a bit.
Pretty simple.
Once at the speed just press "set".
You can use the + and - to tweak the speed if needed.
Use the chevrons on either side of the control to set the distance you want from the car in front.
It starts at the maximum but you can reduce it down if you want.
I've found the braking if someone pulls in front to be very linear and you won't be biting the steering wheel.

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
12,285 Posts
I drove mine in Sport mode all the time. I found mpg better which surprised me. I think it's because it's not hunting for the correct gear so much.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
PhilB - thanks a lot for that.

I think its possible to have the Speed Limiter reading road signs, but I couldn't fathom that out at all.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Mine came up with “fresh eggs for sale” the other day. 🤔

Reactions: Dansam and rencar
81 - 100 of 124 Posts