Evoque Owners Club banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
13,493 Posts
I drove my First one in Dynamic a lot and it really helped body roll. When I bought my second one I didn't realise it had been made an option and missed that feature.

Reactions: PhilB

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
I made a similar mistake. I had read about that feature, and “assumed” buying an R-Dynamic meant it would be there. It isn’t.

Reactions: XZ4 and PhilB

·
Registered
530 Posts
First of all there isn't an Evoque SVR so I don't know what you are referring to.
Elpaulio in his post above mine has said that his new one without active dynamics rolls a lot more than a previous one which had active dynamics.
Which agrees with my thoughts that active dynamics can give great handling and ride.
I can only relate to my experiences with both my Evoques with adaptive dynamics.
Place the car in "Dynamic" drive mode and the magnaride firms up the suspension considerably.
Near me is a turn off from the M25 onto the M40.
It's a long sweeping left hander which tightens about half way through.
It can be taken easily at 70 mph without me having to feel any roll and I can enjoy the superb handling.
I was pretty obviously referring to Range Rovers only real attempt at a sports orientated SUV ie the Sport SVR :rolleyes: The point being that even their only sporty SUV has masses of body roll..........its good to know that the “dynamic” suspension is more suited to “spirited” driving than a none dynamic (as I have already stated I have never driven an evoque that did not have the dynamic suspension) but going back to the actual point I made.....to state that any evoque corners flat is totally inaccurate and misleading.......it may corner flatter but it will not corner anywhere near what would be called flat by any reasonable benchmark.......not beating around the bush all Range Rovers are like boats to throw around corners.......they are simply not designed to and physics is impossible to beat......and if your definition of a corner is a long sweeping left handed tightens halfway through that can be taken at 70MPH then that benchmark is only relevant as a comparison against cars that do not corner anything like flat ;)

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Corners like it’s on rails - but if you drive over a Frozen Pea you can feel it……..

010A36A5-BB5E-4A8C-AB3D-7CF276BC921C.jpeg

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I was pretty obviously referring to Range Rovers only real attempt at a sports orientated SUV ie the Sport SVR :rolleyes: The point being that even their only sporty SUV has masses of body roll..........its good to know that the “dynamic” suspension is more suited to “spirited” driving than a none dynamic (as I have already stated I have never driven an evoque that did not have the dynamic suspension) but going back to the actual point I made.....to state that any evoque corners flat is totally inaccurate and misleading.......it may corner flatter but it will not corner anywhere near what would be called flat by any reasonable benchmark.......not beating around the bush all Range Rovers are like boats to throw around corners.......they are simply not designed to and physics is impossible to beat......and if your definition of a corner is a long sweeping left handed tightens halfway through that can be taken at 70MPH then that benchmark is only relevant as a comparison against cars that do not corner anything like flat ;)
The SVR's don't have "masses of body roll" at all.
Have you driven one? I have.
But I tell you what - you are right.
Absolutely correct that the new Evoque corners like a boat at sea.
Happy?
I'll just keep mine in dynamic and enjoy the handling.
In future I'll make sure I use the words "virtually" or "almost" flat to keep you happy.
😉

·
Registered
2017 HSE Dynamic Lux in Aintree Green, Surround and Park Assist, Heated Wheel
298 Posts
I have to agree, dynamic mode does make it corner flatter but it does not corner flat. You only have to switch from left to right or vice versa to make that apparent...dynamic mode or not!
But then anyone who bought an Evoque looking for a flat handling car was clearly duped by the salesman and should return it for a full refund. They are great at what they are which is a sporty looking, not quite as wallowy as a full fat RR, SUV designed with comfort in mind.
Paul

·
Registered
85 Posts
I love putting mine into Dynamic on country roads and letting loose a bit, but I always wonder, is the car less economic in Dynamic mode? If it makes no difference I'd keep in in Dynamic mode all the time!

Reactions: PhilB

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Doesn't seem to on mine.
Quite a few keep it in dynamic all the time (Donna being one).
Might be worth doing a test as your engine is different to the later Ingeniums.

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
13,493 Posts
My forst one was in S & Dynamic most of the time and I found the fuel consumption to be better. Dynamic shouldn't affect fuel consumption. I think S helps mpg because the car doesn't hunt for gears so much.

Reactions: liamdotcom

·
Registered
530 Posts
The SVR's don't have "masses of body roll" at all.
Have you driven one? I have.
But I tell you what - you are right.
Absolutely correct that the new Evoque corners like a boat at sea.
Happy?
I'll just keep mine in dynamic and enjoy the handling.
In future I'll make sure I use the words "virtually" or "almost" flat to keep you happy.
😉
I've driven more than one 😄 .......they corner like a boat in relative terms to a true sports car and that includes my driving one around the "handling" course at Silverstone, granted it was in comparison to a KTM Crossbow on the day but that was ironcially to highlight the differences between a pure / extreme sports car and a "sporty" SUV with professional race drivers from KTM....there are of course different interpretation of "flat cornering" but to imply the Evoque is anywhere on that spectrum is just wrong in every sense of the use of the term. I've also had Porsche Macan GTS's as loaners for multiple days which handle a lot more sportily than an Evoque ever will (better than an SVR) but they are also nowhere on the same spectrum of handling as a true sports car....in this day of every model of a car seemingly having a "sports" version capable of sub 6 second 0-60 times it is more and more the handling of a car that sets it apart as an actual sports car rather than outright speed, especially in real world where the performance in terms of outright speed cannot actually be used other than playing traffic light grand prix

To get back to the original point.......having the ability to change the "personality" of a car with things like adaptive suspension, engine mapping (sport buttons) and exhausts is great as you effectively get more than one car for your money ....its why I specced dynamic on mine ........but to imply that dynamic suspension would transform an Evoque in to some kind of super sports cars is at best misleading.......I love driving the evoque....in lots of ways in the real world better than the vogues I have done many miles in as the sheer size / mass of those cars does get tiring in the type of real world driving we do now ....the Evoque package ticks all of the boxes we currently need .....other than it being a sports car where it will always be compromised whether it has dynamic suspension or not.......I love it because its not a sports car and is not pretending to be one

·
Registered
85 Posts
When it's been repaired and I can drive it again (😭) I will leave it in Dynamic and see what the MPG is. (y)

·
Registered
530 Posts
Corners like it’s on rails - but if you drive over a Frozen Pea you can feel it……..

View attachment 7885
I've always loved the look of those, even now when I see one it gets my attention(y)

In a similar way one of my favourite sports cars ever was this, by no means the fastest I've had but one of the best handling and as an overall sports car package just sublime, the engine note is to dream for through the rev range combined with the mid engine balance was so much fun on the road......now if you want an example of a car that knows how to corner in the real world......

The old girl in the background is not too shabby either but for totally different reasons ;-)

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
........but to imply that dynamic suspension would transform an Evoque in to some kind of super sports cars is at best misleading.......
Oh gawd, here we go again.
😄
I never said any such thing.
I merely replied to a member asking about what the dynamic button does and then you jumped in and started your "it isn't a sports car" rant.
I really don't care what you think it is but drive it anyway you want.
I'll do the same.
Over and out !
😉

·
Registered
530 Posts
Oh gawd, here we go again.
😄
I never said any such thing.
I merely replied to a member asking about what the dynamic button does and then you jumped in and started your "it isn't a sports car" rant.
Really.....OK

Oh I don't know ?
0-60 in 6.5 seconds and a top end of 150 mph seems pretty sporty to me.
😉

I have a different take on things.
When I had my first (2.2 diesel manual) in 2012 the thing that impressed me most was how an SUV (with magna ride on mine) drove and cornered flat like a sports car.
I think it's great that it can and does corner flat and surprises people who are used to conventional SUV's.

·
Super Moderator
9,159 Posts
Much better ride in Dynamic. I always used it in my Evoque & do now in the Jag

·
Registered
530 Posts
maybe I should try dynamic a bit more 😄

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Really.....OK
Saying something "seems pretty sporty to me" as I did isn't the same as " some kind of super sports car" as you did.
Now I know you won't be able to not have the last word (or essay in your case) but please go and annoy someone else before you drag me into your world of pedantry as well..
Thanks.
😀

·
Registered
530 Posts
Saying something "seems pretty sporty to me" as I did isn't the same as " some kind of super sports car" as you did.
Now I know you won't be able to not have the last word (or essay in your case) but please go and annoy someone else before you drag me into your world of pedantry as well..
Thanks.
😀
Ironically I was not the one being pedantic 😄

·
Registered
2021 P200 R-Design S Fuji
93 Posts
I drove my First one in Dynamic a lot and it really helped body roll. When I bought my second one I didn't realise it had been made an option and missed that feature.
Yikes, I've assumed it is standard on the 2021 R-Sport or is it the Configurable Dynamics option for £235. Anyone know?

·
Registered
2012 SD4 Dynamic Stage 1 500NM
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
It will sharpen the gearbox response.
Make the throttle settings sharper.
Beef up the steering.
If you have "Adaptive Dynamics" specced (also known as Magnaride or electronic shocks) then it will firm up the suspension.
As Binty says the "magna ride" is on all the time irrespective of the drive mode.
If you don't have it then the suspension is fixed and won't change in Dynamic mode or any other mode.
If you also put the gear selector in "S" or sport it will give it even more "go".
How do you know if you have adaptive dynamics? I have the dynamic button but unsure if it's specced to have adaptive? Thanks!

21 - 40 of 43 Posts