Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
Dynamic 3 door, 2013, SD4, santorini black with pimento and ebony
520 Posts
Very nice, welcome, have you tried dynamic mode yet? Transforms the handling (if the roads are flat enough to use it).

Reactions: B4ines

·
Registered
2012 SD4 Dynamic Stage 1 500NM
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Very nice, welcome, have you tried dynamic mode yet? Transforms the handling (if the roads are flat enough to use it).
Gear selector in sport & press far left button on console so lights up red on speedo? In it everyday at least once, mainly for overtaking!

However sometimes give it a blast, I like using the paddles in that mode also!

Not sure if it matters what mode it's in if using paddles? However I go for dynamic!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gear Turner in sport & press far left button on console so lights up red on speedo? In it everyday at least once, mainly for overtaking!

However sometimes give it a blast, I like using the paddles in that mode also!

Not sure if it matters what mode it's in if using paddles? However I go for dynamic!
Upon looking on auto trader after what you said, I looked other models of same year as mine, I thought every evoque had the 5 buttons on the console but it appears the dynamic one is missing & they only seem to have 4 buttons.

What does the dynamic button actually do?

Does the dynamic model drive different to let's say the pure even when the mode isn't even in dynamic?

Thanks so much

·
Registered
520 Posts
Lol putting it in sport changes gearbox when in auto but like you said no effect on manual gear changes, it may sharpen the accelerator response as well.
Dynamic firms up the magne-ride shockers to counteract roll. I think it is a lot more sophisticated than just being firmer as they adjust constantly. One of them also weights up the steering I think.
It’s awfully clever on a truck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lol putting it in sport changes gearbox when in auto but like you said no effect on manual gear changes, it may sharpen the accelerator response as well.
Dynamic firms up the magne-ride shockers to counteract roll. I think it is a lot more sophisticated than just being firmer as they adjust constantly. One of them also weights up the steering I think.
It’s awfully clever on a truck.
Yeah in auto definitely improves response but I always find myself using the paddles. I got some extenders on ebay! Do you use the paddles?

Maybe placebo effect but i feel paddles is the fastest way to get to 0-60 if you wanted to & faster all round than auto. Just hard work changing around corners but great for down shifting prior to over taking.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Do a google search on magne-ride shockers, very clever and expensive, only fitted on dynamics to 2015 model year I understand, after that they were a cost option.
And yes the suspension is always active even when in other modes and will adapt to what is required.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Yeah in auto definitely improves response but I always find myself using the paddles. I got some extenders on ebay! Do you use the paddles?

Maybe placebo effect but i feel paddles is the fastest way to get to 0-60 if you wanted to & faster all round than auto. Just hard work changing around corners but great for down shifting prior to over taking.
I have a couple of cars with paddle shifts. To be honest I use them before overtakes or to maintain stability in a corner as an auto box cannot anticipate the road ahead. For acceleration I find the best option is in sport with the accelerator firmly down and let the box electronics pick the optimum change points in terms of power and torque.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a couple of cars with paddle shifts. To be honest I use them before overtakes or to maintain stability in a corner as an auto box cannot anticipate the road ahead. For acceleration I find the best option is in sport with the accelerator firmly down and let the box electronics pick the optimum change points in terms of power and torque.
When it's dry, if ever...

I will do a few runs 0-60 & let you know the outcome. Not professionally timed by any means but will get the gf to start & stop the stopwatch on her phone 🤣 will do x3 each!

Will brake boost on each also!

·
Registered
2012, 2.2td, 3 dr Dynamic. 240bhp, 20 in alloys, wing backs, side steps, tinted windows and lights.
211 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I'm sure you will love the jump up from your corsa to an Evoque.

Nice looking motor, with the black pack fitted too. Just need some side steps now.

Bazza

·
Registered
Range Rover Evoque HSE Dynamic MY17 | Black | Black Pack | Smartphone Pack | SOTA | 4WD | Auto
635 Posts
Welcome bro!

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
13,493 Posts
Hi and welcome. White with the Black pack looks great. Enjoy

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
What does the dynamic button actually do?
It will sharpen the gearbox response.
Make the throttle settings sharper.
Beef up the steering.
If you have "Adaptive Dynamics" specced (also known as Magnaride or electronic shocks) then it will firm up the suspension.
As Binty says the "magna ride" is on all the time irrespective of the drive mode.
If you don't have it then the suspension is fixed and won't change in Dynamic mode or any other mode.
If you also put the gear selector in "S" or sport it will give it even more "go".

·
Registered
530 Posts
I would not worry about it in a purely "sporty" sense ie the Evoque is far from a sports car........I specced it purely as it offers a more adjustable ride in everyday driving and only switch it to "dynamic" mode very occassionally if I'm on a country lane and by myself......its still like a boat compared to a sports car hence Dynamic usually lasts about 1 minute and I turn it back off and just slow down and remember that I'm in the wrong car for that malarky 😄 .....the Evoque offers fun in different ways than trying to drive fast in it (y)

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Welcome. You have the same year and model that I had, and i can tell you the 2012 SD4 is one of the most reliable and robust cars of all the choice of Evoques. In my 5 years of ownership I only had one door lock solenoid failure, and that was it ;)

The saving up for years struck a chord. Many on here have money galore to spend and can pick up a flash car tomorrow. Not criticising nor jealous, just saying some can get prestige cars at a drop of a hat. Others like you and myself, saved for years to try and get the car of our dreams. I could not afford at the time a new Evoque, and the waiting list was crazy long, so managed to get a one year old low mileage secondhand one, and even then it was only luck getting a SD4 dynamic model, as a firm had went bankrupt at the time, and had three 'company car' Evoques handed back and sitting there on the dealer forecourt at really good prices. All identical but different colours, so went for red. Always wanted a deal when buying any car LOL, That's me :D

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I would not worry about it in a purely "sporty" sense ie the Evoque is far from a sports car...
.....the Evoque offers fun in different ways than trying to drive fast in it (y)
Oh I don't know ?
0-60 in 6.5 seconds and a top end of 150 mph seems pretty sporty to me.
😉

I have a different take on things.
When I had my first (2.2 diesel manual) in 2012 the thing that impressed me most was how an SUV (with magna ride on mine) drove and cornered flat like a sports car.
The handling was/is amazing for an SUV.
I remember having a Freelander as a loan during service and that rolled like a boat in a storm. A work Discovery was the same.
I think it's great that it can and does corner flat and surprises people who are used to conventional SUV's.

·
Registered
2017 HSE Dynamic Lux in Aintree Green, Surround and Park Assist, Heated Wheel
298 Posts
When I had my first (2.2 diesel manual) in 2012 the thing that impressed me most was how an SUV (with magna ride on mine) drove and cornered flat like a sports car.
I must say having had a 2.2SD4 Dynamic with Active Dynamics and now a 2.0 TD4 without I can see the difference.
Going from a lowered Focus ST in the middle hasn't helped :ROFLMAO: but I can feel how the new one rolls more than my old one did.
Was a shame when they made it a payable option but like all car dealers newer cars specs are getting lower and lower to keep costs down!

Still love the Evoque though! Just have to remember not to throw into corners so much!

Reactions: PhilB

·
Registered
530 Posts
Oh I don't know ?
0-60 in 6.5 seconds and a top end of 150 mph seems pretty sporty to me.
😉

I have a different take on things.
I remember having a Freelander as a loan during service and that rolled like a boat in a storm. A work Discovery was the same.
I think it's great that it can and does corner flat and surprises people who are used to conventional SUV's.
The evoque does not corner flat........or anything like it.....to suggest it does is just wrong IMHO.......even an SVR which has a much stiffer suspension cannot be said to corner anything like flat.......I have no idea what an Evoque without adaptive suspension is like though......but assume its no sportier in terms of cornering dynamics

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
The evoque does not corner flat........or anything like it.....to suggest it does is just wrong IMHO.......even an SVR which has a much stiffer suspension cannot be said to corner anything like flat.......I have no idea what an Evoque without adaptive suspension is like though......but assume its no sportier in terms of cornering dynamics
First of all there isn't an Evoque SVR so I don't know what you are referring to.
Elpaulio in his post above mine has said that his new one without active dynamics rolls a lot more than a previous one which had active dynamics.
Which agrees with my thoughts that active dynamics can give great handling and ride.
I can only relate to my experiences with both my Evoques with adaptive dynamics.
Place the car in "Dynamic" drive mode and the magnaride firms up the suspension considerably.
Near me is a turn off from the M25 onto the M40.
It's a long sweeping left hander which tightens about half way through.
It can be taken easily at 70 mph without me having to feel any roll and I can enjoy the superb handling.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts