Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, despite my apprehension having been a loyal Mercedes buyer since 2003 inc a new e class and new cls, my fears have been unfounded. The Evoque really is an incredible car. It handles like hot hatch yet it's a 4 x 4. Not had chance to test its off road or snow capability yet, will live mainly on mway, but I have to say I am impressed. Don't get me wrong, car is not perfect eg drivers sear lower lateral support digs into you on right side of your bum so a bum shuffle to left needed every time you get in (I am a 36 waist before you ask so not that big!) The tech, tv audio is great even the voice recognition works well but is a bit cumbersome and needs a German ergonomic slant to it. LJR have lied about MPG - 43 out of an SD4 dynamic 5 door is impossible, so far at least and I defy anyone to get that on any sort of run driving sensibly Mid 30's I would say and that without being silly and driving at legal speeds. As a result the fuel tank is too small for me. I have to fill up 2 or 3 times a week. Would have liked the option of say an 80 litre tank. But a claimed 43 AVERAGE which in my eyes means you could get 50 at times just is not happening and never will. A bit bitter about that one.

Yet I am picking. The car is a joy to drive. Engine and box is silky smooth. Handling is excellent by any standards. Road noise is merc levels as is refinement and attention to detail. For example the puddle lamps with the RR shadow on the floor, the red illumination of the dials when you engage Dynamic mode, the ability to light the reversing lamps from the key fob, the easy entry lowering of seat when get out giving you more room to get back in then automatically rising when you start the engine and even the windscreen wash wipe system - press the button on the stalk and a a spray of water goes right across the screen. Unusual in its own right. Wipers engage and clean about 3 times. Most other cars stop at that and what happens? Especially when you are on the move, residual water comes back onto screen meaning you have to start the whole thing off again!

Not here. First, water followed by 3 wipes. Then this is where it gets clever and "The Butler" as I like to refer to it comes out. 5 secs later you get one more wipe - residual water removed. But it does not stop there and rightly so. 10 seconds later one more wipe, more residual water gone. Finally 10 secs later a final clean up and pretty much all the water is off and you have a spotless screen. Even the rear wiper works in a similar way. This is genius stuff that puts a smile on your face and puts it if not a class above then at very least in the same league as our German friends.

So all in all? Made up. The jibes about it being a woman's car designed by VB from jealous friends and colleagues meet with a swift "I don't care because it is fantastic and she should design more it is that good.." quickly shuts them up. It is a remarkable car that puts a smile on my face - even if it can't do 43mpg,

Follow my blog on twitter #evoqroadwarrior Will report most days on how it is performing

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have Prestige SD4, 2 door.
most of my journeys are long and on motorways, driving sensibly with new engine and average 42mpg. Given I have done 2,700 miles already, despite cost of premium car (as one commented), economy is important! So would love mpg to improve as last fill was 32mpg!

Mind you,100 mile journey home using the puncture kit and limited to 50mph on motorway, did average 53. Don't want to crawl everywhere though!

Mpg needs to improve...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Pleased you are liking your car Geogo! I finally got mine on the 9th of December and am superbly impressed with it. Mine is same as yours but manual and I have been getting 38+ mpg on longish runs. Has been on snow and ice several times (proper Scottish snow, ended up stuck between two shut snow gates and getting turned round by police) and it handled brilliantly.

I too am impressed by the wipers but on a recent trip north ended up stopping at LR garage in Inverness to get mudflaps fitted as rear screen was needing wash and wiped every 30 seconds or so owing to vast amounts of salt on the A9. Don't think the mudflaps have made a huge difference but they look quite smart.

Not even tried the voice recognition yet or even opened the manual so no doubt more things to impress me when I get round to doing that.

As to the comment about Victoria Beckham...... I am a woman, I spotted the LRX and kept an eye out in case it was ever made. Saw an article in the Sunday Times in August 2010 and uttered the words "I want one" to my husband (who had tried to hide the paper before I saw it) .

And now we are the lucky ones, the ones who own this gorgeous, brilliantly made car. Enjoy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts