Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,304 Posts
So to "meet growing demand", they are cutting production line runs...? Meaning we can't afford the staff or we're not selling vehicles, or wasting too much repairing them afterwards.

And "significant efficiencies" and "2 Plus Shift" sounds like we'll make the remaining staff work longer.

But you have the opportunity to take redundancy if you don't like it. Wonder if that's statutory redundancy pay? Hopefully "Enhanced" means a bit more than statutory.

·
Registered
99 Posts
It's not made clear whether this is part of the 4,500 headcount reduction announced after last year's disastrous Q3 financial statement. Given JLR's fluency in "doublespeak" this has got to be deliberate. Other coverage from NY Times, Reuters and Yahoo! implies that sales of the new PTA versions of L550 and L551 cars were expected to increase and that growth has failed to materialise. In the case of the Evoque sales are slower than forecast but in the case of the Disco Sport European sales are still going backwards.

Month 2020 (2019)
================
Sept 2921 (4274)
Oct 2060 (2656)
Nov 1986 (2939)
Dec ??? (1767)

(carsalesbase.com)

·
Registered
949 Posts
Said on Sky news that it is part of the 4500 reduction.

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
Maybe they should set up a factory to make all the spare parts in UK... RE Employ these poor people loosing jobs.... spare parts are in demand especially steering rack bit 😂😂

·
Registered
99 Posts
JAGUAR LAND ROVER NITRA - WHAT IT’S LIKE TO WORK HERE

At Jaguar Land Rover, we’re focused on the future. The future of automotive manufacturing. It could be your future too. Our advanced technologies and world-class training in our state-of-the-art facilities will enable you to grow your skills and become an expert in what you do, while job security and opportunities to progress within the business will enable you to make long-term plans.
We’re hiring men and women from different backgrounds. This will allow us to generate new ideas and better ways of working. It will also mean that you can be yourself – the best you can be. Ready to show the world what you’re capable of, transforming our industry and helping us to achieve our mission of delivering excellence?

Quality inspector / no experience in the automotive industry !

PLACE OF PERFORMANCE: Nitra
Salary: 850 EUR / month

Job description
Please note the exciting opportunity to work for Jaguar Land Rover, a new car manufacturer in the Nitra region. If you have experience in repairing small equipment, mechanics and tires, please read our offer.

Your job will be:
  • Perform work according to prescribed instructions in the quality department
  • Adherence to safety regulations (OHS) and required quality
  • Final vehicle quality control requirements
  • Team spirit
  • The desire to work in the automotive industry
  • The need for quality experience
  • Technical skills
  • Basic knowledge of quality and 5S Benefits
• Right from the start, you get an indefinite contract and become our core employee. The offered remuneration package includes a tariff wage including a competence surcharge, a monthly production bonus of up to 15% (calculated according to set criteria and from the tariff wage), 13-hundred salary.
• Overtime or weekend or night work allowances are higher than legally required.
• Meals for only EUR 1 in a pleasant dining environment where you can refresh yourself comfortably.
• Bus transport, which is provided on various routes from surrounding towns and villages. If you opt for other transportation to / from work, we will give you a contribution of $ 20 per month.
• We will give you a € 300 gross contribution per year to choose from our Jaguar Land Rover benefits. You know how you want to spend your free time, whether for relaxation, education, health care or convenient shopping.
• Jaguar Land Rover contributes 3% of the sum of your salary and supplementary pension premium to the supplementary pension insurance, and we will cover your life and accident insurance in full if you choose to.
• You will work in a highly equipped working environment where we take care of our employees. Ensuring quality work clothes for both summer and winter months is a matter of course.
• Your development is important to us, so we offer opportunities for education, training and career growth.
• At Jaguar Land Rover, we are also thinking about our environment - we care for the environment and hundreds of our volunteers have already lent a hand to Nitra and the surrounding communities

·
Registered
106 Posts
No such thing as a cheap lunch... but 1 Euro, that's cheap!

Real shame that JLR are closing UK sites or reducing staffing and moving abroad to cheap labour.. cheap labour = cheap quality.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Doesn't really give a great deal of confidence in JLR product does it, it is poor quality already & it looks to be going down even more in the future.:(:mad::confused::unsure:

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Quality control has always been the problem with RR cars, its a bit hit and miss.
There has not been enough quality control as seen by some of the problems encountered with their Evoques, from bad shut lines, to poor welding, and some poor sods end up with a Friday car, where they have to hand it back as not fit for purpose. Others like myself got a good Evoque, most of the earlier 2.2 SD4's were good cars, so its just down to luck, and it should not be. Maybe now quality control will go further downhill by reducing more workforce.

When I think back to my decades of Japanese car buying days, quality control was the big selling point, and why many UK buyers bought Japanese, and had relatively a lot less problems, or even problem free.

Mind you in these modern days of technology overkill, cars are even more complex and hence more susceptible to many more faults and some strange ones at that. on my jeep the car clock does not keep the correct time, it changes randomly when starting up, and they cannot figure out why, so after many attempts to fix it, I told them to forget it, as a car clock is not that essential, as i have a wrist watch :D

(years ago a car clock was a separate item, take it out and replace with another, now it is CPU driven and software controlled, but it don't work right DOH)

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
, most of the earlier 2.2 SD4's were good cars...
My father in law used to work on the designs of Ford cars and many years ago I mentioned to him that Mk5 Cortinas rusted quicker than the Mk4 ones. He said that when they had a successful car out for a while, the next step was not how they could make it better, but how they could make it cheaper. One thing he said they did with the MK5 was to use thinner steel, hence the rust problem. Maybe the same cost-cutting thing has happened with the Evoque as there seems to be more problems with later ones than earlier ones.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Most of the problems with JLR vehicles are electronic issues.
Yes, certain models have specific issues like the DPF and steering racks on the Evoque etc but across the board it's the computer controlled bits and pieces and software that can let the side down and cause aggravation.

·
Super Moderator
10,435 Posts
It's not just JLR who have issues. Most makes do. If you look on any forum they're full of problems. When buying a "Premium" brand expectations are higher than with cheaper brands, that's why you don't hear about so many problems with "budget" cars. That said, it's still bloody awful they have done nothing about fixing the DPF & steering rack issues.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Quote "Most of the problems with JLR vehicles are electronic issues."

Something has slipped in engineering as well: the Ingenium and its balance shafts being a case in point. A brand new engine designed at a cost of hundreds of millions, then tested over millions of miles should not have systemic bearing failures when it gets into the field. Timing chains? For decades timing chains for DOHC engines have been considered as "lifetime components" of the engine, now Ingenium is throwing up chain failures all over the place. These two mechanical failures are easy to blame on diesel dilution - but that's wrong imho, the oil thins but it doesn't thin by THAT much and in any case a lot of engines now use 0W-20 oils with viscosity down to 5.7 cSt. None of the oil samples tested on the DS forum were lower than 8.0 cSt so something else is going on. Badly spec'd materials? Poor QA? Bad design? Who knows - but this is core engineering, not software.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Quote "Most of the problems with JLR vehicles are electronic issues."

Something has slipped in engineering as well: the Ingenium and its balance shafts being a case in point. A brand new engine designed at a cost of hundreds of millions, then tested over millions of miles should not have systemic bearing failures when it gets into the field. Timing chains? For decades timing chains for DOHC engines have been considered as "lifetime components" of the engine, now Ingenium is throwing up chain failures all over the place. These two mechanical failures are easy to blame on diesel dilution - but that's wrong imho, the oil thins but it doesn't thin by THAT much and in any case a lot of engines now use 0W-20 oils with viscosity down to 5.7 cSt. None of the oil samples tested on the DS forum were lower than 8.0 cSt so something else is going on. Badly spec'd materials? Poor QA? Bad design? Who knows - but this is core engineering, not software.
I think you need to see the wider picture and consider the whole spectrum of faults and especially not consider only the diesel Ingenium.
I have only seen a handful of issues with timing chains in the XE and those are on diesels and leggy ones at that.
The F-Type can suffer from injector problems but mainly on the V6.
The F-Pace had issues with a front driveshaft but has now been fixed.
The E-Pace has yet to exhibit any significant DPF issues despite being out over a couple of years now and I could go on.
But the one thing that affects all the range is software and electrical issues.

I see you have joined other forums regarding the DPF issues to give your knowledge which is welcome although on the F-Pace forums not really relevant as they don't suffer issues as neither does the XE.
Can I ask if you were personally affected by the DPF issues on a JLR vehicle?
I'm just wondering what your particular slant is on all of this ?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yes, I am a victim of misrepresentation by a JLR dealership like thousands of others.

Back on topic, how do you explain balance shafts? This is clearly a systemic engineering problem. If it weren't, why does the TSB say that dealers can fit a special part number provided that they get approval from JLR following two balance shaft failures on the same car?

I take it you are aware of this directive

·
Registered
427 Posts
Yes, I am a victim of misrepresentation by a JLR dealership like thousands of others.

Back on topic, how do you explain balance shafts? This is clearly a systemic engineering problem. If it weren't, why does the TSB say that dealers can fit a special part number provided that they get approval from JLR following two balance shaft failures on the same car?

I take it you are aware of this directive
Erm, my post was merely to suggest that across the whole JLR range it is electrical/software issues that cause the majority of problems for owners.
I'm not sure why you brought up camshafts/balancer shafts though ?
I'm also not sure I have to explain such issues either as I'm not disagreeing with you - they do exist.
As the moderator on both the XE and F-Type forums I think I'm pretty up to speed with issues.
Certainly, I am aware of the camshaft position sensor bulletin from the end of 2017 and the more recent JTB from Jan 2019.
Again, from the posts on the XE forums, this isn't a significant problem taking into account the total number of diesels "in service" and the relatively tiny number that have been affected.
Balancer shaft replacements have been reported a couple of times and in both cases the tech updates hadn't been done so probably why they failed.
Of course they shouldn't have issues but I'm sure you would agree that in order to have a balanced view and not cause undue concern for other members, it's important to keep things in perspective.
:)

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I always laugh at these thousands of hours, millions of miles, arctic and sahara on new car testing...but , at the end of the day who is really the guinea pigs, its us owners!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts