Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm new to this forum :)
I've just come back from my local garage, pretty annoyed.
For the last 1 week, my drivers door won't unlock from the outside - I have to open the passenger door, jump onto the seat and unlock the driver door manually from the inside.
Unfortunately , locking the car is even more inconvenient: I need to remove the silver part of the key fob, take out the manual key, remove the lock cover on the door of my car, and lock the car manually! I need to do this each time I lock the car - what a headache!
My local garage in North London - which is a respected outfit who I have used for years - has quoted me over £300 for a diagnosis and repair. They also told me this is a very common problem with Range Rovers and they've diagnosed this problem several times this year.
My car is unfortunately outside warranty ; I purchased it new in 2014 and the warranty expired last year.
I am pretty annoyed as this is clearly a manufacturing fault . I have not done anything to the door which may have triggered this. I am really not happy to fork out the considerable sum of over £300 for something which seems to be a Range Rover manufacturing issue, given that its such a widespread problem.
Can anyone suggest any solutions to this?

·
Registered
8,363 Posts
Hi and welcome!
I had this problem last winter! I called JLR assist the problem was solved by spraying a silicone spray( wd40 do a silicone version) on the latch of door! If you look on the door when its open there is a small black cap near the latch , remove and spray into it with extension nozzle provided, and any other bits accessable to locking mechanism!
This worked for me and has been fine since good luck

Reactions: JohnF

·
Registered
193 Posts
Door locks on Freelander 2 and Evoque are fairly common failure. However its a fairly simple change of the lock to resolve and it doesn't cost £300.
Door card off, remove old lock mechanism and replace with the new one.

Reactions: Donna

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
As said this is the most common fault on the Evoque. Can prevent the door unlocking or not locking.

The fault and solution is usually one of two things.....

A duff solinoid requiring a new lock, or if you are DIY, just replace the solinoid itself.

A sticky lock mechanism, checking where the friction is occurring, and spraying with a lubricant.

PS...In all my five years of ownership, a faulty rear door lock solinoid was my only fault, lock replaced under warranty in year two.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi,
I'm new to this forum :)
I've just come back from my local garage, pretty annoyed.
For the last 1 week, my drivers door won't unlock from the outside - I have to open the passenger door, jump onto the seat and unlock the driver door manually from the inside.
Unfortunately , locking the car is even more inconvenient: I need to remove the silver part of the key fob, take out the manual key, remove the lock cover on the door of my car, and lock the car manually! I need to do this each time I lock the car - what a headache!
My local garage in North London - which is a respected outfit who I have used for years - has quoted me over £300 for a diagnosis and repair. They also told me this is a very common problem with Range Rovers and they've diagnosed this problem several times this year.
My car is unfortunately outside warranty ; I purchased it new in 2014 and the warranty expired last year.
I am pretty annoyed as this is clearly a manufacturing fault . I have not done anything to the door which may have triggered this. I am really not happy to fork out the considerable sum of over £300 for something which seems to be a Range Rover manufacturing issue, given that its such a widespread problem.
Can anyone suggest any solutions to this?
Door lock around £30 on fleebay, look for evoque door card removal on you tube, took me an hour to change a front one and around the same to replace rear one. had to swap the keyless entry module over to the 2 locks, couple of screw and look how the 2 parts link together with the spring, you will see what I mean when comparing the new lock with the old one.

·
Registered
52 Posts

Seems a bit fiddly the cable removal bits (and then re-fitting the cables), other than that, think its doable using this video..!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Door lock around £30 on fleebay, look for evoque door card removal on you tube, took me an hour to change a front one and around the same to replace rear one. had to swap the keyless entry module over to the 2 locks, couple of screw and look how the 2 parts link together with the spring, you will see what I mean when comparing the new lock with the old one.
here is the part;
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RHD-Front-Right-Door-Lock-Actuator-For-Range-Rover-Discovery-3-4-Freelander-2/172950206699?fits=Model:Range+Rover+Evoque&epid=2250772003&hash=item2844a2b8eb:g:EL0AAOSw6GJZ8uAp:rk:18:pf:0

·
Registered
2013 L538 RR Evoque Pure Tech td4
1,967 Posts
Just came back from a trouble free holiday down in Devon in the Evoque and found the rear offside central locking had failed. If the door was unlocked it stayed unlocked and if locked it stayed locked, not good:sad:

So I bought a new lock mechanism from Powerful UK, not a genuine JLR product but it has 2 Years guarantee and cost £35 delivered.

As it was nice and warm today, making the clips easy to remove without breaking, I gave it a go.
It’s only three screws on the door, (cross head and T30) then just pull off the door card, pull it straight no lifting upwards.
Then a few T25 screws holding the inner panel and finally three T30 holding the lock in position.

It took an hour and a half with a cuppa half way through, only fiddly bit was manoeuvring the lock and removing the green clipped cable from the outside door handle.

The video above from Car Guru is excellent and let’s you know exactly what to expect.

I took a few pictures just so I knew where everything was as I took it apart.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just purchased MY17 and have this same problem. Rear ds door will not unlock with key fob or manually from outside or inside. Someone above suggested a silicon spray on the latch, others have said new solenoid or lock mechanism. Not sure how to do any of these without being able to open the door!? Any other ideas apart from a visit to a garage?

·
Registered
8,363 Posts
You can normally open door from inside? Are the child locks on in rear?...
I’d spray it first if you can open and if that fails it’s the part above

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks Donna. Child locks are off but still can’t open from inside. Maybe I’m missing something but can’t see how either spraying or the part above are an option if the door cannot be opened?

·
Registered
8,363 Posts
Something might be out of sync ... you could do a master reset... involves disconnecting battery , but wait until xz4 , Philskill, Steve d,CBW pick up this post and sure they will advise

·
Registered
8,363 Posts
The battery in Fob ok?

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
11,591 Posts
If it's only one door that is faulty I don't think a reset would work Donna. Sounds like the actuator needs replaced. Is the car still in warranty ?

·
Registered
8,363 Posts
The back doors not opening fullstop xz4 from inside either ... remember it worked on something similar last year can’t find post though...

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
11,591 Posts
?

·
Registered
8,363 Posts
I tried to explain to someone how to do a reset .... think Philskill helped me out and it worked?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts