Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi

I have a large crack on my windscreen as a result of a small metal bar thrown up by a lorry on an opposite carriageway late last week. I contacted my insurer who passed me to Autoglass for the replacement.

Initially Autoglass said they would replace on site but later advised I needed to go to my local depot (which isn’t infact local at all, approx 45 miles away each way) as it needed an ADAS calibration. However, I enquired about the replacement windscreen having done some research online and have been advised that the windshield is a 3rd party; not an OEM or Autoglass' own brand but some other brand. They have also advised they cannot tell me whether it will be in fact a like for like replacement with regards the heated element.

Vehicle currently has a heated windscreen so logic would dictate this would be a given but sadly it seems not.

Am I being over cautious about 1) a non-original or even Autoglass own and 2) should I just refuse to have it fitted before or after travelling 45 miles to the location?

The crack is on the near side well outside any used area.

Thanks in advance.

P.S Dont suppose anybody knows how much a dealer replacement would cost do they?

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Hi - Just checking you saw this earlier post today about non-dealer price?

Who are you insured with?
Will they let you use LR if you explain things? (Don't know if LR just get a 3rd party in though!)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm insured with Swinton...I do have screen cover but my particular policy states cover is max £150 and I have £50 excess so I would only get £100 towards it.In any case they said that heating elements are not covered,they checked with their underwriter.The car has warranty for 3 months from dealer and I'm only 2 months in and they have agreed to foot the bill.
Incidently the screen that AutoWindscreens supplied is Pilkington and they apparently supply LR.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@HmmmUK - yes I did read the other discussion but didn't want to hijack plus my problem was slightly different so didn't think it fair to the person.

I am insured with LV, excess is £140. I am just annoyed that Autoglass cannot tell me if the screen is heated or not (which is bizarre) and as the windscreen is the original from new it clearly is part of the purchase spec. Coupled with the fact it is neither LR or Pilkington / Saint Gobain but some other screen.

I have spoken to my dealer who has provided a quote on replacement... £475 inc VAT, fitting and calibration. Genuine LR screen and fitted by the dealer, no 3rd party.

Might have to do some digging with LV. I would certainly not make a claim on my policy and the windscreen cover is not living up to expectation!

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
LV have a good reputation here for glass cover (Pano roof) so things will hopefully work out.
Bizarre that they can't confirm heated screen as that's a no brainer!

If no luck, perhaps LV would let you pay the difference to use LR?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sorry for your problems. sps 1013
The whole job was £388 incl. vat... fitted at my house..took him 1hr 20ish.Its a Pilkington heated screen.All working fine.Can not fault the service. I only had to wait 5 days,quicker if it was urgent but it wasnt. He turned up at the arranged time and everything went back perfectly as there is a lot to remove i.e mouldings in the engine bay scuttle below screen,the 2 black fillits on the outside of each 'A' post and all the sensors/interior rear mirror etc. I'm very pleased with the whole affair start to finish......ADAS callibration what's that? Sure he didnt carry out that as I watched him all the way through the install and he checked everything,rain sensor etc...and all is working fine.

·
Registered
406 Posts
See post Bird Strike
I Spoke to insurance company , they agreed that I could have an original LR windscreen fitted by my choice of installer. I only had to pay the windscreen excess plus £25.

2017 price LR windscreen £482+ VAT

1 - 8 of 8 Posts