Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see it's a regular issue with evoques that the locks fail.
On my 2013, the passenger and rear doors dont unlock with remote (I can hear the motor going but doesnt physically unlock. What's weird is that passively I can open them ie with key in my hand or pocket etc.
RR say I must put in new door locks; if they failed totally I would understand.
I tried disconnecting the black negative terminal to see if it would reset, but that didnt work.
Expensive parts again!
Or is there a recall for this? There should have been. If another major manufacture like Toyota or Mercedes or BMW they would've recalled?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
This seems to be the standard JLR response for all problems. :mad:

·
Super Moderator
2,364 Posts
When the locks fail, the motors can no longer pull the lever to unlock the latch, manually you are connected to the latch, so the part has gone faulty.

It's the single biggest failure on the Evoque, but if they last 3 years they passed the warranty period... thus JLR will have no reason to recall...!?!

Use mine everyday nearly for 8+ years, so far never had a failure... touch all lucky objects around...

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I have read somewhere (I think on this forum) That if you open door & look just above the lock there is a small black rubber plug, if you remove this you can spray some lube onto lock mechanism which sometimes free's things up & allows it to work again. :unsure: (y)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have read somewhere (I think on this forum) That if you open door & look just above the lock there is a small black rubber plug, if you remove this you can spray some lube onto lock mechanism which sometimes free's things up & allows it to work again. :unsure: (y)
Thank you so much Bazz, I'll have a look and give it a try.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When the locks fail, the motors can no longer pull the lever to unlock the latch, manually you are connected to the latch, so the part has gone faulty.

It's the single biggest failure on the Evoque, but if they last 3 years they passed the warranty period... thus JLR will have no reason to recall...!?!

Use mine everyday nearly for 8+ years, so far never had a failure... touch all lucky objects around...
I saw a video on YouTube and the part that seems to go looks very easily broken... I'll try and find and share the link. Crazy with such a such amazing brand of vehicle, they went cheap on the door lock mechanism.. which is costly to replace and also the labour charge to install.
Yip, it's sadly out of warranty and hence no recall.
Appreciate the help, thank you so much (and keep touching all the lucky objects haha).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi PhilSkill. I think you hit the nail on the head and makes perfect sense why I can open in passive mode but not remotely... "When the locks fail, the motors can no longer pull the lever to unlock the latch, manually you are connected to the latch, so the part has gone faulty".
Going to try lube the locks and if doesn't work... I'll have to book it in.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's the video I saw the other day and couldn't find it again - thank you Bazz. That little piece is the weak part of the whole mechanism... crazy.

And no easy fix or swap out.

Thank you again for all your help Bazz - appreciate it

·
Registered
7,715 Posts
Posted on here ages ago that when mine went the assist guy sprayed them with silicone spray by removing black from it about 10 mm wide on the side of door above latch ... think I left pictures somewhere too ... anyway that was over a year ago and no problem since , other half gives them a spray with wd40 branded silicon spray every so often and they’ve been fine since 👍

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
That's the video I saw the other day and couldn't find it again - thank you Bazz. That little piece is the weak part of the whole mechanism... crazy.
View attachment 4069
And no easy fix or swap out.

Thank you again for all your help Bazz - appreciate it
Hi Brucew_sa, No problem, hope it helps. (y) :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
One of mine has gone bad. (Rear left MY16.5). I tried the silicon trick but no luck. I'm ordering a cheap Chinese copy off ebay as it can't be any worse than the OEM part.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi, weird how the passengers doors are the ones that go first. Your right though, the cheaper Chinese ones can't be any worse haha. Let us know how it goes and if works out.
Thank you for the update.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Mine's in under warranty on Wednesday for the passenger side. I might ask to keep the old part if they let me and take it apart to see how it ticks.
In the mean time post a link to the Chinese one as it could be worth comparing notes.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I replaced mine with one from powerful UK a year ago. I think it was £35 delivered and has worked fine ever since.
I kept the old one with the intention of taking it apart to see what the fault was but I’ve never got round to it. The plastic lever was intact and not broken so it was something internal.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have replaced drivers lock myself..took about 45mins.Not easy,its fiddly but doable diy.There is a 'good how' to vid on youtube.Lock cost me £35 (ebay) and it looked a gen LR part.
No trouble since and that is about 6 months ago.Expensive to have it done by garage.Just *iss poor design.

·
Registered
7,715 Posts
Well done doing the job yourself , adding to the list of other members that have successfully done this.... even if the part isn’t genuine Landrover it probably can’t be any worse than there part as it seems to constantly fail😱

1 - 20 of 29 Posts