Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey
My misses has an evoque and the car was serviced 29th oct 2019 where the dealer did a visual check of the brakes and recorded these at 8mm and 9mm
On Friday she had to take the car into a indepent as the brakes were making a noise.they found the inner pad was down to the metal and as such, the car unsafe to drive. £286 later with new pads and discs on the front, we mailed Land Rover CS and asked to make complaint and look for a goodwill gesture as the pads could not have been checked in the service. Has anyone had this happen to them? If not then the dealer has suggested to have calipers checked. Do you think these could go fauty one side?
lR came back and stated they can't do anything as it wasn't presented to a dealer, however as the car is unsafe to drivewhere do I stand? If it had been to dealer then the wait time would have been a month due to there schedule

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
Whilst it sounds unusual, It is possible for a caliper to get sticky and hold the clamping force enough to exacerbate the wear, or wear the inner and not the outer, or even something score the disc which can lead to premature wear. The dealer would likely have done a visual on the outer so if the inner was wearing excessively they will not have seen it. When the pads were changed the garage should have freed up the caliper slider pins by dismantling and assembling and would probably have informed you if they were sticking or corroded.

So hopefully it's a one off, and is sorted now, otherwise you may be in for a new caliper if it does it again.

Dont think you have a chance with JLR, all you can do is complain to the dealer in hope they may be favourable to you at next service.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
The probably only did a visual check through the wheels and could only see the outer pads. If they were fine and the inner one was worn down, you need to know why as you have another problem.

Edit. Phil beat me to it!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Not sure I entirely agree with this, if you’re getting a service from a main dealer and not a backstreet garage then they should check all 8 brake pads and if this requires a wheel removal then that’s what they should do. 99 times out of a 100 you can get away with looking through the wheel but this looks like the one time it didn’t work. If the outer pad had 8mm you may have had a sticky slider or piston which the garage have freed off but it can’t have been that bad otherwise it would have been picked up on the service when they spun the wheel to check bearings etc or didn’t they bother to to that either!

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I agree Trevor. If it was a main dealer.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm amazed that ANY garage, JLR dealer or non-franchised would miss this at a service no matter what the mileage. My Evoque has brake pad wear indicators but i still get on my back n give the calipers a quick poke of the head now and again to make sure there's plenty of pad material left

·
Registered
65 Posts
To be honest if the outer pads had 8mm (which is only 3/4 worn) and the wheel was spinning freely then a lot of mechanics would take this as being ok. I know it’s not right but it happens. We don’t know if the outer really did have 8mm or was that just a guess, nobody takes them out to measure. It’s still less than 3 months since the service but trying to prove it will be hard, even if you took the pad and disc in it’s no proof it came off your car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts