Evoque Owners Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, new to this forum - a BMW fan through and through until my wife wanted an Evoque.

The car has 26k miles seems to be well looked after. Upon purchase I noticed that the car was pulling to the left and they agreed to pay for a 4 wheel laser alignment. After 4 attempts, each attempt showing green all around the car still pulled go the left, no different for a matter of fact. The company are using a hunter wheel alignment which apparently is the best around. I've used it for all of my previous cars with no issues, I do therefore trust the wheel alignment system.

Does anyone have any ideas why the car would still pull to the left? Oh I've also swapped front wheels around and there's no obviously extra heat from any of the wheels to suggest brakes sticking.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

·
Registered
MY2016 Evoque Autobiography 2.0L DIESEL 5 DOOR / L538
384 Posts
My car tends to pull quite a bit in the direction of the road camber i.e. mainly to left on British roads (20" 245/45R20). I've found the lower the tyre profile, the more it tramlines and follows the camber.
Have you tried swapping the wheels front to back ? This had a good effect on my son's car recently, perhaps due to the slight uneven wear across the tyre.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My car tends to pull quite a bit in the direction of the road camber i.e. mainly to left on British roads (20" 245/45R20). I've found the lower the tyre profile, the more it tramlines and follows the camber.
Have you tried swapping the wheels front to back ? This had a good effect on my son's car recently, perhaps due to the slight uneven wear across the tyre.
I haven't moved the back to front but have moved the FL to FR and vice versa. I'll give the rear to front swap a go. Ye my wheels are 20s as well. I physically have to drive with the steering to the right ever so slightly to drive straight. Just doesn't seem quite 'right'.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Has the car previously been involved in any minor accident in its past?
My son had a Vauxhall Corsa which he slid into a kerb in the snow, it slightly damaged a few bits behind the wheel, but despite everything being replaced via an insurance claim, From then on it always pulled to the left, despite 4 wheel tracking, wheel swapping, tyre changing etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Has the car previously been involved in any minor accident in its past?
My son had a Vauxhall Corsa which he slid into a kerb in the snow, it slightly damaged a few bits behind the wheel, but despite everything being replaced via an insurance claim, From then on it always pulled to the left, despite 4 wheel tracking, wheel swapping, tyre changing etc.
There's no evidence of it being in any type of accident everything looks a similar age underneath I was thinking however that a bush could be worn which in turn would put everything out. Just don't know whether the alignment would still all be green if that was the case?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Welcome. I'm also a BMW driver who's wife has an Evoque.

What I would say is that their Hunter should be recently calibrated otherwise it may be out. I know this as a guy local to me went to two different garages using Hunters, but the first garage made his car handle twitchy, so he spent £85 at the 2nd garage who sorted it despite both garages showing it as ok.
Basically, when possible, it may be worth asking another garage to check as I'm sure they wouldn't charge much just to check. In this local case the guy was reimbursed by the first garage after proving that their machine was out.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Are all 4 tyres wearing smooth and evenly right across the tread? All got exactly the right pressure in. Dose the steering wheel sit right in the straight ahead position. Is the gap between the top of the wheel arch and top of the tyre the same both sides. Have a good look side on and and front and rear and see if everything looks as it should, if something’s not looking quite right it probably isn’t. If you can get the wheels off the ground try a pry bar against all the bushes you can find. There has to be something wrong with it, they shouldn’t pull to to the left.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts