Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I am trying to put my 04.2016 RR into EPB service mode. Following the procedure I can hear noise from the rear motors when its releasing brakes but there is no message on dashboard in the end. Is it meant be like that.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
Is the sound you hear much longer than the normal sound of releasing the handbrake, e.g. 3 times longer? If not it's probably just the noise from the normal release.

I expect your not getting the procedure right if you are not seeing the message, but mines a lot earlier model.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks PhillSkill.

I found this post and it seems to work on my RRE.

"After review of many forum posts and youtube videos, and after purchase of an electronic after market service manual for multi-years (which wasn't correct for my year), here is what I have determined in relation to my 2017 Evoque and disabling the EPB, in hopes this will help someone...

In short, the 2017 will not go into full 'Service Mode' using the "EPB switch/accelerator pedal/2 second wait/ignition off then on" process. Ian Richardson's post just a couple above this one includes a PDF of those process steps, which don't work for me nor for some others I have found across the forums. If they work for you that's awesome. I haven't been able to find any process steps which will get my 2017 into Service Mode (Service Mode meaning you can drive the car around and the EPB never engages again unless you remove it from Service Mode).

However, the great news is that I have found a way to confidently disable the EPB for a single non-driving cycle, but the EPB will once again assume the normal state when the car is started. The steps for this process are contained in the 2017 paperback Owner's Manual in the "Electric Parking Brake" section, as noted by Lloyd Barnes in a post above where it worked for him but he wasn't sure how long it would be in effect. These steps are not in older Evoque owner's manuals (at least not in the 2015 manual which I also have). I have done some tests and also have an idea of why Land Rover has changed the steps....

Using the old process steps we as consumers could "permanently" disable the EPB, which I think is a safety concern on Land Rover's part. Therefore they removed that option for consumers and replaced it with the ability to disable the EPB while the vehicle is parked so the brakes could safely be serviced by us, but upon starting the engine the EPB system would once again be fully functional, thus removing the potential that consumers could be driving around with the EPB automatic system disengaged.

I initiated the steps, shown below, and the EPB remained disabled overnight, so there is no timer clicking that might re-engage the system while we have the rear brake disassembled. I also locked and unlocked the vehicle, operated the automatic trunk opening with my foot to both open and close the trunk and none of those things re-engaged the EPB system. The only thing I have found that will re-engage the system is to either start the car, or turn the ignition on (press the start/stop button without your foot on the brake) and then turn the ignition off. (In the latter, to be clear, turning the ignition on did not re-engage the EPB, but turning the ignition off did).

So as long as you stay clear of that start/stop button the EPB will, with confidence, remain disabled.

Here are the two methods described in the owner's manual, but in my own words since they left out having your foot on the brake as part of the process. Both methods have the same result of successfully disabling the EPB for a single parking cycle. I believe they offer two methods so you have the option of disabling the EPB as you are parking the car, or by restarting a parked car and then disabling the EPB.
  • Method 1 (convenient when parking the car since it's already in Drive)
    1. With the engine running and the transmission in anything but Park
    2. Depress and hold the brake pedal
    3. Press and hold the EPB switch
    4. Shift to Park
    5. Wait at least 2 seconds
    6. Release the EPB switch
    7. Turn off the ignition
  • Method 2 (convenient when the car is parked and off)
    1. Start the engine
    2. With the engine running and in Park
    3. Depress and hold the brake pedal
    4. Press and hold the EPB switch
    5. Within 5 seconds turn off the ignition
    6. Keep holding the EPB switch for at least 2 seconds
Hope this helps. Best regards,
Greg in Arizona

Also posted a short video... "

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi everyone.

Any idea of which way to compress caliper piston in 2016 RRE, push or screw in?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
Early Evoques were push in Calipers.

Nice info thanks, I might make a sticky thread on this as very useful for newer owners.

I agree being able to leave the brakes in Maintenance mode was a bit risky, and probably why it was changed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hi everyone.

I managed to change rear discs and break pads following below:

EPB service mode ( no massage on dashboard )
1.With the engine running and the transmission in anything but Park
2.Depress and hold the brake pedal
3.Press and hold the EPB switch
4.Shift to Park
5.Wait at least 2 seconds
6.Release the EPB switch
7.Turn off the ignition

Screw in piston.

I hope this help other RRE owners :cool: .

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Nice one Dexter. (y) (y)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts