Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

Got a question for you .
I have a 2016 2.0 TD4 with 34000 miles on the clock.
On start up then when idling it seems to have a rattle which i cant quite pinpoint.
A mechanic friend of mine said it sounds like timing chain rattle but in unsure with it only having little mileage on it surely it cant be a worn timing chain could it? ahas anybody else had this issue ?

Thanks

Gary

·
Registered
37 Posts
They do sound like tractors when idling. Myself and my parents have the MY16 2.0 TD4.
Sometimes the heatshield on the dpf can rattle, the tabs that hold it in position are tissue paper thin and rot too easily. maybe worth a look at that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They do sound like tractors when idling. Myself and my parents have the MY16 2.0 TD4.
Sometimes the heatshield on the dpf can rattle, the tabs that hold it in position are tissue paper thin and rot too easily. maybe worth a look at that.
Hi Rob

Thanks for the reply mate that makes me feel alot better than I did half an hour ago . I hope it is something simple

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Ahh glad I saw this thread, we had a new timing chain fitted at 35,000 miles under a third party warranty. Heres my story very very briefly, bought ours from bristol st motors non LR dealer although was sourced from an LR dealer within the group, 1 year after purchase it goes back to BSM for a service, ex LR tech advised he thinks the timing chain was noisy on start up and to contact LR assist as still under manufacturers warranty, assist came out and said as above, not the most refined engine but didn't sound overly noisy so nothing to worry about. Fast forward a year, car goes back to BSM for an SOS limited functionality light to be done under their own warranty, visit was cancelled twice because they over booked so to appease me they made an appointment for me at an LR dealer which was part of the same group to let them fix the light. Car was driven up there by me, dropped off and I left in a very nice brand new velar courtesy car, couple of hours later they rang me and said the light is not on so they are unable to diagnose the fault, ok fair enough, however they mentioned my timing chain was noisy and required replacement, they quoted £2700. I told them where to go and said leave it and i'll take it back as is, this is when their tune changed, 'oh I see you have a warranty with BSM', yes I do thats why its at your place to sort the warning light, so they rang the warranty company and within 20 mins they had the authorisation to do the work, so we had the pleasure of the velar for a just over a week.

Effectively we drove around for a year with a noisy timing chain because assist said it was no louder than what he's heard before, I even took it to LR in Derby and they said it was ok

So yes timing chain at 35,000 is possible, which sucks because its a non service part designed to last the life of the car, question they couldn't or wouldn't answer is why so early or even at all and has the oil dilution caused it, they point blank refused to even awknowledge that oil dilution even existed

Reactions: makkan00

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi doink
Thanks for your reply mate It’s not really what I wanted to hear but it was if that makes sense lol.

mine has unfortunately now run out of warranty and started to make a noise just after I run out just my look.

when you say oil dilution what do you mean by that is that a common fault which you think has brought on the wear on the timing chain?

what do you think my next move should be ?

cheers
Gary

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Oil dilution = unburnt fuel seeping past the piston rings into the sump caused by continuous regens(the clearing of soot in the DPF), a major design flaw in the exhaust architecture, JLR have awknowledged this and instructed dealers on the cause and symptoms and rectifications works of which there is none, google search JLRP00100 or search for it on this site, its been well documented here, its a common fault with the 2.0 ingenium engine. It makes no mention of timing chain failure but more balancer shaft bearings, oil dilution if left WILL result in engine failure and that comes from JLR themselves, at the time of all this coming to light excessive oil dilution I believe was measured at 6%, now its been revised to 10%.

JLR's solution is to change the oil more frequently, ignore the 21,000 mile 2 year service intervals, the engine WILL NOT make it to 21,000 on the same oil, real world figures from owners on this site show somewhere between 6 and 9,000 miles for an oil change, luckily for us and me too as I'm in the same boat as you JLR have agreed to carry out free oil changes for all car affected, JLRP00100 covers this

Next move - get a warranty, see Donna's recent thread on warranty choices, you can extend your manufacturers warranty but as the original warranty has lapsed they will insist on examining your vehicle for a fee before selling you a warranty or you can buy a third party warranty, again see donna's thread for costs

Can oil dilution be attributed to timing chain wear, well in my eyes it can't do it much good, how else do you explain the need for replacement of a part thats designed to last the life of the engine/car at 35,000 miles

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi
Yeah that certainly seems to be the cause doesn’t it.

do you have to have warranty for a certain amount of time before you can claim on it do you know ?
I will have a look at donnas posts see which one to go for. I had a look at extending the Land Rover one at weekend but as you said it wouldn’t let me as mine has now run out .

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I think you can still go for an LR warranty but they will need to examine the car now, not so for a third party warranty, HmmmUK and Donna both recently extended/bought their warranties - LR and third party so they might better at advising you, but either way you do need a warranty, they are great cars and I love ours and others love theirs too dispite various issues but having a warranty helps you sleep at night

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I’d rather have a LR warranty but it won’t pass an inspection sounding like a bag of nails now lol.
I will probably have to opt for a third party one now I’m thinking .
I might just get a new timing chain fitted how much you do you think it would cost all in to get it done not at a dealer obviously. Did you get a quote when you had your issue or just the quote from the dealer ?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Ours was at the dealer, Gordon Lamb in Chesterfield, this is where Bristol st told us to take it to fix the SOS warning light, they are part of the Vertu motor group as is Bristol St Motors, as we bought ours from BSM and not directly from a LR dealer we never got the 2 year approved used LR warranty so they offered us their own product at a greatly reduced cost of £299 for the length of the PCP (42 months) as opposed to a free 2 year warranty if we got it from LR so we'd of still had to have a warranty, our warranty is with Motor Assured but this is only available through BSM or the Vertu group when you buy a used car from them, I think its their own product, strangely though even if you buy a used LR from a dealer that is part of the Vertu group I don't think its a Motor Assured warranty, someone might be able to enlighten me there.

I'm always sceptical of warranties as they always seem not to cover the exact fault you have but I must say I was very impressed with ours, whether Gordon Lamb accidentally put their foot in it by finding a fault thinking 'yeah 65 plate - out of manufacturers warranty - lets sting him for £2700', it was a young girl that rang me to tell me of the timing chain, when I said I'm not paying it and I'll fetch the car back thats when she must have noticed the SOS light was being done under warranty albeit a Vertu warranty, she said 'oh you have a Vertu warranty', I said yes I do thats why you have my car, 'oh well in that case do you want me to see if they'll pay for the timing chain'................of course I would young girl, I could tell she was young by her squeaky voice bless her.

I bet when Gordon Lamb realised the car was infact under warranty from the very same company they are part of they must have kicked themselves, and thats the thing because the warranty was a Vertu product and my money was paid into the Vertu pot then the warranty is valid at any dealer not just LR that are part of the Vertu group, what a stroke of luck

Is your timing chain really loud and noticeable? I would get a warranty and leave it a few months if poss to make a claim

Reactions: Maffy
1 - 10 of 10 Posts