Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
MY13 dynamic 190 5 door - firenze red
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone got one of these 'plug & play' trailer electric sockets (the 7pin) ?
i'm looking for a towbar, non removable, and came across evoque plug in looms for the trailer socket.
i presume it plugs in somewhere in the boot< soooo any one care to elaborate if its that simple?
and its to stop lights coming up for bulb faults?
thats the next thing, is it for plugging in regular lights, bulbs,, or do i have to get a led light board. ?
or it doesnt matter. its all pixie magic inside the flux capacitor.

cheers, point me in the right direction.

meanwhile, i bought a trailer frame ,,,,,very cheap and rusty,
acid treated, welded, primer, red glossed, wheels painted, 2 new tyres, wood fitted, wood flamed, yacht varnished, tie-downs fitted and mudguards fitted,, and loads of yellow and red police reflective tape.
now just a light board to fit and add my number plate.

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
H Hanger17, The towbar wiring plugs in under the left hand rear light, lie down and look up there are 2 dust covers you need to remove just by pulling off, no clips or anything awkward then just plug the leads in and off you go, the trailer needs ordinary bulbs for the indicator warning on the dash to work, JLR seem to be a little backward regarding LEDs on trailers / caravans. I initially fitted a 7 pin harness but have since changed it for a 13 pin but if your just towing a trailer 7pin does all you need it to do.

Reactions: Hanger17

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IMG_20200803_185455.jpg

getting it ready, bar and electrics ordered 👍🏻

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
11,975 Posts
It's a bit more involved fitting a towbar nowadays 🤔.

·
Registered
2020 Silicon Silver RR Evoque R Dynamic HSE P300
74 Posts
has anyone got one of these 'plug & play' trailer electric sockets (the 7pin) ?
i'm looking for a towbar, non removable, and came across evoque plug in looms for the trailer socket.
i presume it plugs in somewhere in the boot< soooo any one care to elaborate if its that simple?
and its to stop lights coming up for bulb faults?
thats the next thing, is it for plugging in regular lights, bulbs,, or do i have to get a led light board. ?
or it doesnt matter. its all pixie magic inside the flux capacitor.

cheers, point me in the right direction.

meanwhile, i bought a trailer frame ,,,,,very cheap and rusty,
acid treated, welded, primer, red glossed, wheels painted, 2 new tyres, wood fitted, wood flamed, yacht varnished, tie-downs fitted and mudguards fitted,, and loads of yellow and red police reflective tape.
now just a light board to fit and add my number plate.
Won’t be long before trailers are banned from the dump. I got rid of mine whilst it still had monetary value

·
Registered
74 Posts
View attachment 5652
getting it ready, bar and electrics ordered 👍🏻
wow electrics seem v easy not one scotchblok to be seen!!!
Not sure what model year your car is but I have a 2020 RDyn HSE with a ludicrous splitter on the back. I wanted to fit a detachable bar that cannot be seen when hitch removed. Does that require a cut out in the bumper/splitter?
I want to take bikes, not comfortable lifting a heavy mountain bike Full stretch above a glass roof!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im getting the plug in dedicated electrics kit for my 2013, plugs straight in apparently, and the towbar does require a cut, but if i do it really well and keep the section, i am a dab hand at plastic welding if i ever took it off. but why would i, it was £121 🥺 . More hastle than its worth, just leave it on it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
im getting the plug in dedicated electrics kit for my 2013, plugs straight in apparently, and the towbar does require a cut, but if i do it really well and keep the section, i am a dab hand at plastic welding if i ever took it off. but why would i, it was £121 🥺 . More hastle than its worth, just leave it on it.
The rear splitter on the RDyn HSE is gloss black, would need an incredible costly amount of work to make good and the last think I want is to drive around with a visible bit of bent metal when it’s not in use.
I was hoping the towbar wouldnt need a cut, certainly Westfalia have a UTube video which shows a MY20 without a cut but that’s with the standard undertray, not the splitter.
A company wanted £800 to fit(!) and it’s about£200 for the westfalia. I would be happy doing it myself if there was no cut and the wiring was a factory type plug and play supplementary loom
Russ

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, im cutting, £121 for the towbar, £15 courier.
plug and play socket £52 and £6 delivery.
all under £200.

im going for the permanent towbar, these removable things are either never used or never removed.
be handy for audi and bmw bumpers lol

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cheers everyone,
a lot of swearing but it arrived today, so, i got it done
IMG_20200805_203217.jpg

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hi Hanger17, that's my only regret I bought the removable tow hitch as it was for sale at the right price and only about an hours drive away to collect it, the thing is your limited to a 50mm ball and then you cannot tow a trailer with a pin hitch or any other type of hitch, in hind sight I should have looked for a conventional tow bar that I could have bolted whatever hitch to it I liked.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
to be fair, they hide one bolt behind the bumper,
my instructions said a 60mm cut inside and out , and heat shield 100mm- for the bumper on my car.
-
it should have been 60mm outside and 100mm inside and shield 120mm

it was nearly having to come off again.
didnt say weather fo fit the hitch during or after build.
after was impossible. so i had to rethink to save time.

but its the inside and cant be seen, so i warmed it with a heat gun and levered the plastic back a little to get the inside bolt in. there isnt any room dor a knife or dremil, and the 4 bumper bolts were such fun to get in.

its a pretty difficult job (claimed to be able to be done in 2 hrs) :confused::confused::confused: i failed that.
and on top, JLR clips and screws are the worst ever, everything stripped , cleaned and coppergreased, so i made it a long job i guess. but iv replaced tons of rust with zinc coated clips also.
instructions are vague.
but i know im fussy and its done right.

iv seen some cars that the bumpers were on with zipties coming out of fitting centres.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts