Evoque Owners Club banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
3,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So if you have an early Evoque (2011-2015ish) you might think it time to update your maps... Well beware! This is my Torrid experience.

So as you know my Evoque is a very highly maintained and cared for Vehicle. It was in absolute perfect health, and not a single error on the OBD. Everything working, bar a few strips on one side of the heated windscreen element!

So we have a Driving holiday planned soon, and as I recently had a Birthday.... My lovely Wife decided after looking at the JLR Glossy Website about how important it is to update your Nav system, decided to buy me a Map update.

Lovely... or so I thought.

Firstly I got a nice JLR branded CD case with a USB stick in and some instructions...

Read the instructions, insert disc, enter code, update will take 3 hours, you may switch off the car during the update, but Do not Remove the USB stick, once updated allow the unit to fully reinitialise before switching off.

Ok I have done this once before so was happy with that...

Hmm where's the Activation code... this has'nt been e-mailed to me, about to contact Here support, when an e-mail arrives with some excuse of a change of systems between Here and JLR but here's the code.. ok that was timely.

So update starts, takes about 15mins to show any progress, then shows +5% every 8 minutes.

at 30% my journey ends, so I switch off.

Next journey starts at 35% and continues +5% every 8 minutes.

My journey ends at 50%...

Next journey... "a problem has occurred with the Navigation map update, Check disc and restart".

There is no restart button just "Cancel"

Hit Cancel, "Loading of Map Paused please insert disk to restart download"

So I havent removed the USB so I hit cancel...

30 minutes later its still at 50%... and thats where it stays with my Music and Phone and Nav disabled.

3 weeks later and it's still at 50%

Motor vehicle Automotive design Grille Vehicle Automotive exterior
Automotive design Personal luxury car Motor vehicle Vehicle audio Automotive exterior
Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle Radio Personal luxury car

So here we go to find out how supportive the support structure really is...

• Sad
Reactions: CoolBlueWhyte

·
Administrator
3,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So onto the phone with Here Maps customer services, clearly based in Holland from the accent, a very laid back guys says we'll look into it, please send some screen shots of the messages..

a week goes by.. so I chase them

We have escaleted it with JLR and will let you know when we hear back.

Another week goes by... (Still no music, no phone or Nav)

Phone again... oh they say take it to your JLR representative... they will raise a TA (Technical Assist) with JLR to sort it

I get onto JLR customer services to see what they say.. and they agree take it to my Dealer.

So I book it in with Sytner Coventry where I bought the vehicle. The Service representative Chris, was pleasingly helpful, and I have to shout out to him for doing an excellent Job, he accepts the vehicle without any agreement I will pay anything, to try and sort out this mess. He agree's there was no way I could have known it would not update correctly.

They do a load of "updates", phone back sorry no luck so far we will chase JLR for help.

I leave the car with them a week while they do god knows what to sort it out, but eventually the only outcome is my module is at fault. you know that module that was working fine before trying to update it...

Chris Raises a request for JLR to replace the unit FOC as I had no way to know it would not work.

Eventually a response.. car is 10 years old we wont do any good will.

Chris replies telling them they are wrong the car was working fine until the update. And surely they should at least cover the cost of the Maps I cant use.

Same reply they will not touch a 10 year old vehicle...

So car returned, apologies from Chris but tried everything he can... the good thing is music and phone are now working, but the Nav just says "Updating Maps" and an annoying error message every time I start the car.

Felling rather peeved.. since I had this car from new, it was working until we bought the update from JLR as per the advice on their website, and now it's broken, and devalued, and they've washed their hands of me. And if anyone was about to buy a new vehicle it would be me at 10 years...

Here Maps... The car is at fault so they will not refund...

Will it be a JLR vehicle again after this... ?

So now i'm into fixing it myself... I feel another technical thread coming along...

• Angry
Reactions: CoolBlueWhyte

·
Registered
115 Posts
When I bought my update usb from eBay it also came up with messages like update stopped or paused so I stopped the car took the keys out of the ign left it a few minutes and the download started again but took a coup of journeys to complete the download.

·
Administrator
3,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I tried everything I could think of before engaging the dealer, but it was Stuck at 50% for weeks!

·
Registered
Dynamic 3 door, 2013, SD4, santorini black with pimento and ebony
1,025 Posts
Wow that is bad luck.
I bought mine through the JLR site which linked to Here maps and it was posted directly from Holland.
It worked just fine first time. Yes it did take a long time, about five or six hours I think as I had several stop starts and each stop it seemed to take a while to work out where it was and start that section again.
I wonder if you have a bad USB? If you live anywhere up north you are welcome to try mine, you seem to have a good activation code.
Is it possible to reboot the infotainment
unit?

·
Administrator
3,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Binty, I've now changed the module and am back in business... Do I dare update it again... o_O

Reactions: Binty

·
Registered
2013 Evoque Coupe Dynamic 2.2 SD4 Auto
475 Posts
Buy an MMI box from AliExpress for a couple of hundred quid, and you'll have up-to-date maps forever and loads more on top.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So if you have an early Evoque (2011-2015ish) you might think it time to update your maps... Well beware! This is my Torrid experience.
Hi Phil,
Nice to converse again. I still have my 2012 Evoque. I noticed yesterday I can no longer add destinations to the SatNav. It will not even get me home. (I used my phone instead.) I can find pre-stored addresses but cannot activate navigation of those anymore. I just get the on-road/off road screen. I wondered if it was the 10 year age and, it appears so. My car still looks new (when its not mudi) and has done half the average milage. Such a shame that we live in an age of advanced technology that still has a limited lifetime! To further my rant - with 'recycle/preserve/extendlife' chucked down our throats at every turn, 10 years seems stupidly short.
Regs Mudi1

·
Administrator
3,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Mudi, glad yours is going well too!

Does sound like your Unit has failed, mine was working fine till the "Update".

Why not try replacing the module with a 2nd hand one, there are quite a few on e-bay and it really is quite an easy job!

It worked for me

·
Administrator
3,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think it likely you will need a new module Mudi, but always worth checking the OBD for any errors first in case you have other issues.

·
Registered
2013 L538 2.2 RR Evoque Pure Tech td4
2,597 Posts
Really sorry to read this Phil. I expect more from JLR!
Its great that you have the ability to resolve.
I have never updated my satnav and do realise that the Evoque thinks I do far more off road driving than reality because of all the new roads and bypasses.

Reactions: PhilSkill

·
Registered
2020, D180, standard
134 Posts
hello, I don't know if it has already been done but 3 hours with the radio the consumption is excessive, I may need to start the vehicle while the update is done, I also have a seat leon with a browser and when I updated the radio software I had to put contacted me and decided to feed the car battery while the update was done, if the vehicle has low voltage protection it will cut the radio interrupting the update, but I am not sure if your vehicle has it, or if this is just what happened.

·
Administrator
3,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi SCC, the update is done while the car is running, you can barely sit for 3 minutes let alone 3 hours without the engine running. The Instructions are clear you can switch off the car and the update will restart automatically, except in my case where the update failed to correctly restart and screwed my module.

Next update will be done when I am driving for 3 hours... so I need a non stop trip to Scotland to update my NAV...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts