Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I’ve had my 2012 Dynamic Lux for well over 4 years and I’ve had a smug satisfaction reading about all these rear cameras fogging up and not working. Guess what? Yep, mine had been working intermittently for the last month or so and I suspected that it was suffering the same problem as others. We rely a lot on that rear camera when reversing so it was something that had to be done. I saw new camera's on the 'net from £60 upwards so. Thought I’d check it out and order one. Removal was straightforward - remove tailgate panel, remove 4 x 10mm head nuts and remove the panel that holds the camera, registration plate lamps and tailgate button. Removed the camera and found this:

Went onto the 'net to order one only to find my one wasn’t one of the £60 upwards cameras. Because my model had the 360 cameras, the camera was near on £400 from a dealer. They were asking around the £200 mark for secondhand ones! Anyway, I had a brainwave and popped the door mirror out, had a look and sure enough the door mirror cameras are the same camera as the reversing camera (and probably the front bumper ones too. - that’s £2K's worth of cameras on the car😲).

It was a simple matter of swapping them over. Okay, I now don’t have a camera on my 360 degree cameras but to be honest, apart from when I first bought the car, I’ve never used them. I occasionally use the nearside camera when parking close to the kerb but at least I’ve got my rear one working. The original rear one which is now fitted to the drivers door mirror may dry out otherwise I’ve got time to wait now in case one comes up cheap on eBay. Not happy with the water protection on the rear camera so I’m going to get some sealant for it if it ever stops raining!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Excellent news Steve D. I’m sure Jeli will be along shortly as he is having the same problem. Crazy prices for a new one 😰 I’m still hoping someone will come up with a cheap copy before mine goes. Would removing the camera from the wing mirror stop the blind spot detector working 🤔 though as I quite like that feature.

Reactions: Jeli

·
Registered
Evoque MY20 First Edition in Seoul Pearl Silver
1,745 Posts
The blind spot monitor sensors are in the rear bumper so shouldn't be affected Sadie.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Thanks Whilliam. I wondered how it worked.Its saved me once already. Hope the sensors aren’t as costly as the cameras 🙄

·
Registered
199 Posts
Thanks for sharing the link to here Sadie and thank you Steve D for the info!

I contacted a supplier of an 4 pin VW, Audi and BMW camera. I gave them all the HW and SW versions for the Evoque but I don't think they understood what I was asking. So don't hold any hope of a response.

One of the junction cams is going intermittent so I'll try and save that one and repurpose for the reverse camera 👍🏼

·
Registered
259 Posts
Thanks for sharing the link to here Sadie and thank you Steve D for the info!

I contacted a supplier of an 4 pin VW, Audi and BMW camera. I gave them all the HW and SW versions for the Evoque but I don't think they understood what I was asking. So don't hold any hope of a response.

One of the junction cams is going intermittent so I'll try and save that one and repurpose for the reverse camera 👍🏼
If its intermittent connection/ display issues, then open the camera housing and clean the internals and it should work. Make sure that you seal it when you put it back.

Search the DIY / camera fix which I posted.

For OP aka Steve aka DIY boss, surely these cameras turn up frequently on flebay at a cheaper price.

Reactions: Jeli

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
300 Posts
Agree with you there Steve D. If it’s second hand it’s got no guarantee At that price you might as well buy a new one 😬

·
Registered
259 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Agree with you there Steve D. If it’s second hand it’s got no guarantee At that price you might as well buy a new one 😬
That is a fair comment as you don't know what is coming your way. That one is full of ..... so will not last long.

Reactions: Sadie
1 - 10 of 10 Posts