Evoque Owners Club banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
That’s not the rubber tube thingy I meant. I’m not with the car at the moment, so can’t take a photo, but when I can, I’ll post it here.
From memory, It’s a large (Maybe >10cm diameter) corrugated open ended tube, front right of the engine compartment that connects with a corresponding rubber “socket” on the underneath of the bonnet When closed. If I had any knowledge at all about engines, I would probably say it looks like an air intake, so I assume it draws air in through the bonnet vents.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Yes, that's the air intake which meets a correponding hole in the underside of the bonnet.
Air goes under the lip of the bonnet then passes between the double skin and into the air intake then through the filter then into the engine.
The thing you are referring to is on the right here:

20190831_102818.jpg

·
Registered
11,277 Posts
WOW, the pipe was there on mine but pointing downwards so didn't see the connection-all clear now, but just goes to prove the vents are not actually necessary as they are not on all models.

·
Registered
Evoque MY20 First Edition in Seoul Pearl Silver
1,738 Posts
Sooo, why go to the bother of fitting them into the bonnet if not of any use,I think there's more to it.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
So why not just stick them on instead of going to all the bother of making holes and fitting, still not convinced,,, yet.

·
Registered
712 Posts
When I was speccing mine I had already decided on the HSE as it gave the kit I wanted.
The HSE R-Dynamic version was an extra £1600 which would have given bonnet vents and other bits of "bling".
The only tangible driving advantage was having paddles included.
I saved the money and spent it on dynamic suspension instead.
Some people like the "extras" and that's fine but I personally didn't need them.
Horses for courses and all that of course.

Maybe having the bonnet vents allows rain onto the engine to help with cooling?
:D

·
Registered
712 Posts
In all seriousness, the My20 bonnet is double skinned so any rain going through them would probably be caught by the lower skin and drained off.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Yes, that's the air intake which meets a correponding hole in the underside of the bonnet.
Air goes under the lip of the bonnet then passes between the double skin and into the air intake then through the filter then into the engine.
The thing you are referring to is on the right here:

View attachment 5141
That’s the one 👍 as the bonnet is double skinned, I assume that the bonnet vents allow extra air into the space between the skins where this air intake takes its feed from 🤔

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I had a look at mine and would agree but you'd need to take off the black felt-like bonnet liner to see properly.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts