1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
White , 2015, SD4.
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
1st post, so be nice !
Had my 65 plate Evoque since June 2019. DPF been a pain from start.
Blocked within a month of owning, repaired under warranty.
2 times since same thing and no warning before it went Red.
Can the DPF be "removed" or modified?
I love the car, but reliability is a no from me.
I don't do a lot of miles, but do make sure I give it a run every thankful (300 miles)
If its a no, then I think I'm going back to a Tiguan R
Thanks for any input

·
Registered
2018 Landmark Moraine Blue Evoque
72 Posts
Looking forward to replies on this thread, as looking at doing the same.

·
Super Moderator
9,159 Posts
Removal of the DPF is an MOT failure! It needs a regular run of about 20 minutes at a minimum of 40mph. A run every 300 miles is not enough unfortunately. It’s the short runs that cause the problem.

Reactions: Valisk 61

·
Registered
MY2016 Evoque Autobiography 2.0L DIESEL 5 DOOR / L538
327 Posts

·
Registered
2012, 2.2td, 3 dr Dynamic. 240bhp, 20 in alloys, wing backs, side steps, tinted windows and lights.
211 Posts
The DPF on most cars are generally hidden in the engine bay behind the plastic covers. These covers that are not removed for an MOT. So I would suggest most MOT testers wouldn't even know.
Another option is to spilt it, remove its guts and re weld it. Looks like a DPF yet isn't now. Its a lie that the DPF works. Most cars without DPFs produce no more emissions, are more powerful and run better.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Good luck getting the ECU to work after removing the DPF. And the small matter of a £1000 fine if you're caught driving it, however unlikely.

From a JLR employee:

"Mechanically yes. However the various ECU’s programming will recognise this and the engine will not start. Unless you have a PhD in Computer Science, you will not be able to overwrite this software either. You can get the engine to start and run in a test bed environment without DPF/SCRF attached, but it will never work once reinstalled and connected up to the vehicle itself."

·
Registered
MY2016 Evoque Autobiography 2.0L DIESEL 5 DOOR / L538
327 Posts
Good luck getting the ECU to work after removing the DPF. And the small matter of a £1000 fine if you're caught driving it, however unlikely.

From a JLR employee:

"Mechanically yes. However the various ECU’s programming will recognise this and the engine will not start. Unless you have a PhD in Computer Science, you will not be able to overwrite this software either. You can get the engine to start and run in a test bed environment without DPF/SCRF attached, but it will never work once reinstalled and connected up to the vehicle itself."
Any company that does remaps should be able to delete the DPF from the modified map.

·
Registered
69 Posts
From the same JLR employee after recieving the same response:

Here's a challenge for you.
  • Get your highly respected mechanic friend to remove the DPF on an Ingenium engine..
  • Have a wager with him as to how long after the engine is re-started before it goes into limp mode.
  • My advice would be to bet no longer than 10 seconds. If you follow this advice, then you will win your bet.
  • With the money that you win, pay him to put the problem right. I will bet you the purchase price of the vehicle that he can't.
Good luck!!

This topic has cropped up over at the DS forums on several occasions. I've not come across anyone over here who has actually done it to an Ingenium engined car - how about over in the States?

·
Registered
2012, 2.2td, 3 dr Dynamic. 240bhp, 20 in alloys, wing backs, side steps, tinted windows and lights.
211 Posts
From the same JLR employee after recieving the same response:

Here's a challenge for you.
  • Get your highly respected mechanic friend to remove the DPF on an Ingenium engine..
  • Have a wager with him as to how long after the engine is re-started before it goes into limp mode.
  • My advice would be to bet no longer than 10 seconds. If you follow this advice, then you will win your bet.
  • With the money that you win, pay him to put the problem right. I will bet you the purchase price of the vehicle that he can't.
Good luck!!

This topic has cropped up over at the DS forums on several occasions. I've not come across anyone over here who has actually done it to an Ingenium engined car - how about over in the States?
Is this one of them JLR mechanics that charges £150 an hour and cannot fix a door lock mechanism right?

Considering that most re map companies (geninue ones) can re write the software of your ECU which will allow a DPF to be removed.

Yes it is a "potential" £1000 fine... but that would be completed by the VOSA, not Bob, your friendly local MOT'er. So I'd suggest that even at the smallest of chances, "Bob", during a 45minute MOT, at £39 is going to create more work to remove all your protection covers to even try look at for a DPF, which are getting smaller and smaller, looking like an exhaust component to be slimmer than a super model on smack!

Even if VOSA did turn up at your home they do not have the lawful authority to inspect your personal property without your authority, so I'd like to see an FOI request for the amount of £1000 fines handed out.

I do have a DPF on our Evoque but I can see why people do remove them or not replace them at like £2/3k when they brake to paying £250 for them to be 'blanked' and re mapped.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Is this one of them JLR mechanics that charges £150 an hour and cannot fix a door lock mechanism right?
Not quite. They work at the JLR Whitley R&D Centre.

·
Registered
MY16 HSE Dynamic LUX, Volvo 850R
2,394 Posts
The DPF on most cars are generally hidden in the engine bay behind the plastic covers.
But I thought the whole issue of the DPF blocking on the evoque was caused because it isn't hidden in the engine bay and is too far downstream in the exhaust to not get hot enough, so in my eyes easily visible to an MOT tester to see if it's been tampered with or split and rewelded

·
Super Moderator
9,159 Posts
Not sure but would the exhaust emission test during MOT not show show it as missing?

·
Registered
2012 SD4 Dynamic Lux
1,604 Posts
I’m still a registered MOT tester although I haven’t done a test for over a year now. You are not allowed to remove anything during a test to carry out an inspection other than basic stuff than needs no tools such as tow ball covers, boot floor covering etc. On the subject of DPF inspection, this is the criteria we must go by during the inspection:

8.2.2.1. Exhaust emission control equipment
You only need to check components that are visible and identifiable, such as diesel oxidation catalysts, diesel particulate filters, exhaust gas recirculation valves and selective catalytic reduction valves.

If a diesel particulate filter has clearly been cut open and rewelded, you should reject it unless the vehicle presenter can show evidence that there was a valid reason to cut it open, such as for filter cleaning.

DefectCategory
(a) Emission control equipment fitted by the manufacturer missing, obviously modified or obviously defectiveMajor
(b) An induction or exhaust leak that could affect emissions levelsMajor
(c) Evidence that the diesel particulate filter has been tampered withMajor

·
Registered
3,260 Posts

·
Registered
2012 SD4 Dynamic Lux
1,604 Posts
Not sure but would the exhaust emission test during MOT not show show it as missing?
Emissions tests are only carried out on petrol engines vehicles. Diesel engines vehicles only have a metered smoke test, not a particulate test and as particulates are not tested, removal of the DPF should have little difference on the result.

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
2,873 Posts

"Diesel particulate filter check now required as part of MOT test.
The vehicle will automatically fail the MOT test if the filter had been fitted as standard but is found to be no longer present.
"

·
Registered
491 Posts
No intention of fixing it if it ain't broke, but if it does.....
Interesting/amusing reading here
Good to see there's still a few pirates in Cornwall
(apologies to any Thunberg fans)

·
Registered
211 Posts
No it doesn't. This is the misconception, DPFs really dint make the emissions are better. They are actually clogging up cars then needing expensive repairs. My MOT garage showed me two readings with a car using a DPF and one without.....Guess what, had the same emissions readings.

·
Registered
211 Posts
But I thought the whole issue of the DPF blocking on the evoque was caused because it isn't hidden in the engine bay and is too far downstream in the exhaust to not get hot enough, so in my eyes easily visible to an MOT tester to see if it's been tampered with or split and rewelded
Like I said, my evoque has its DPF. I haven't looked to remove it I was just answering the OP. However having looked at most DPFs they tend to be hidden deep in the engine bay, behind covers and most people that do remove, gut and re-weld do a precision job, not like a job in their shed. So it's near on impossible for an MOT'er to know if it's got the guts or not without removing the exhaust system.

I know and as Steve has alluded to, alot or plastic now cover the engine and components, so which MOT station at £30/50 for an MOT,which are 45 minute slots, are going to remove all them plastic covers to check? None I would suggest.

Plus who fines you? The MOT station have no lawful right to fine you. So even if the MOT station failed your car it would still require VOSA to impound your car, then obtain a court warrant to carry out a check on someone's personal property.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts