Evoque Owners Club banner
141 - 160 of 178 Posts

·
Premium Member
P300E MY22 Autobiography
8,046 Posts
a motorway trip adds soot to the DPF unless you are towing or driving at around 100 MPH+.. I had the same mis conception but have monitored it in both my Merc and the Evoque and they both do the same.. its been detailed earlier in this thread!
I was told to take it I think it must 10-15 miles there and back again by a LR technician and do about 60 miles per hour I had auto gear boxes so the car choose what to put it in .. rest of the time I was doing 5 miles town work country B roads and never had a problem ;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I was told to take it I think it must 10-15 miles there and back again by a LR technician and do about 60 miles per hour I had auto gear boxes so the car choose what to put it in .. rest of the time I was doing 5 miles town work country B roads and never had a problem ;)
I was told the same by a land rover service manager, he told me to drop it down a gear on the motorway etc once a week ......Trust me some of them haven't a clue, i have attached a diagnostic tool and watched the DPF temperatures, they actually drop when using a lower gear as the engine is working less hard but at higher RPM... unless an active regen is taking place that is..... Truth is you could be pulling off a motorway after a 100 mile drive and the DPF could hit 100% full and have to regen when you are driving around town... this is why we were looking to fit an indicator like you can to a merc.... its in the thread :sneaky:

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
4,064 Posts
I think the 'blast' along the road is still relevant for Euro 5 DPFs which weren't as techie as the later ones.
Euro 6 vehicles work in a different way as has been discussed many times.

Here's LR's tips:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think the 'blast' along the road is still relevant for Euro 5 DPFs which weren't as techie as the later ones.
Euro 6 vehicles work in a different way as has been discussed many times.

Here's LR's tips:

My Merc is Euro 5

it works the same as my wife's Evoque

at 80MPH its adding soot to the DPF (around 350 degrees C)... unless I'm going up hill or towing when it does het hotter.

so in a Euro 5 vehicle a quick blast will most likely help fill up your DPF....

This is not what I think... its what you will see for yourself if you monitor the DPF temperature via a half decent diagnostic tool...

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
I am still confused why mine is (apparently) behaving impeccably. I do @ 12-14 sub 2 mile trips each week, and maybe 2-4 @ 8 mile trips each week. This has been the case since we got the car. I have had one oil dilution oil change, done foc by the dealer “under warranty” and no warnings of any kind regarding the DPF.

From reading on the forum when I bought the car, I understood that the architecture hadn’t changed from the previous shape, so it was likely to suffer the same DPF issues.
That doesn’t seem to be the case, unless I just happened to have dropped on a very well made RRE. (Looks out of the window for any pigs flying over 👀).

The car has now done just under 23k and the first service will be due in @ 2 months.

Reactions: Mable

·
Registered
483 Posts
Ours did 19000 miles mostly short runs and no warnings or problems with dpf,
Hardly ever did motorway runs too.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
I think maybe they did do something with >MY20 I don’t recall seeing anyone having serious issues with the DPF from that model car 🤔🤞

·
Premium Member
P300E MY22 Autobiography
8,046 Posts
I was told the same by a land rover service manager, he told me to drop it down a gear on the motorway etc once a week ......Trust me some of them haven't a clue, i have attached a diagnostic tool and watched the DPF temperatures, they actually drop when using a lower gear as the engine is working less hard but at higher RPM... unless an active regen is taking place that is..... Truth is you could be pulling off a motorway after a 100 mile drive and the DPF could hit 100% full and have to regen when you are driving around town... this is why we were looking to fit an indicator like you can to a merc.... its in the thread :sneaky:
ok if you want to fit something go ahead but I had one car for 3 years and apart for one service which was at 2 years nothing was wrong with the DPF now I admit a lot was wrong with the first one with cameras, boot etc but not DPF and as I potter to the shops and never go on long journeys it was fine.. 2nd one I had for 2 years and it was the same it was only with the 2nd one after that had a service that I was told to take it a run every month first one never got that luxury and was fine ... maybe I got lucky but with Landrover if something is going to go wrong it would have done on my first one as everything did ;)

·
Premium Member
P300E MY22 Autobiography
8,046 Posts
I think maybe they did do something with >MY20 I don’t recall seeing anyone having serious issues with the DPF from that model car 🤔🤞
my first was a MY16 and that was fine :)

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
4,064 Posts
My Merc is Euro 5

it works the same as my wife's Evoque

at 80MPH its adding soot to the DPF (around 350 degrees C)... unless I'm going up hill or towing when it does het hotter.

so in a Euro 5 vehicle a quick blast will most likely help fill up your DPF....

This is not what I think... its what you will see for yourself if you monitor the DPF temperature via a half decent diagnostic tool...
I don't know about Mercs.

My info is from a (now ex) Land Rover techie that used to post on the DS forum.
Their posts made a lot of sense.

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
4,064 Posts
There aren't many DPF issues posted here (I've said this before). Most of the problems are oil dilution and early services.

·
Registered
35 Posts
There aren't many DPF issues posted here (I've said this before). Most of the problems are oil dilution and early services.
This is exactly the issue, my wifes car was getting oil dilution changes at 2500 mile intervals most journeys for her are sub 10 miles so of course she was interrupting DPF regens!! they have since reprogrammed the dilution alert from 5% to 10% (on all cars) which doubles the distance... ::rolleyes: My point is that if you knew it was regenerating you would allow it to complete and not cause the Dilution issue,, a simple LED when a regen was on going has been implemented on many other manufacturers vehicles its not a JLR issue ...

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
4,064 Posts
This is exactly the issue, my wifes car was getting oil dilution changes at 2500 mile intervals most journeys for her are sub 10 miles so of course she was interrupting DPF regens!! they have since reprogrammed the dilution alert from 5% to 10% (on all cars) which doubles the distance... ::rolleyes: My point is that if you knew it was regenerating you would allow it to complete and not cause the Dilution issue,, a simple LED when a regen was on going has been implemented on many other manufacturers vehicles its not a JLR issue ...
It's connected but not the same.
A blocked DPF is one thing. Oil dilution from failed regens is another issue.

·
Registered
2016 TD4 180 HSE MY17
303 Posts
Just a quick question, using an obd reader with ability to force a DPF regen, would it damage it even if not needed, if I forced a regen
Thanks
Just for the record, an OBD2 reader cannot force a regen to my knowledge. Only JLR can do that at the shop. OBD2 only monitors via an app or at best serves as conduit via an app which might have basic functions like clearing error codes, service reset function, etc.

·
Registered
13 platePure SD 4 A / L538
26 Posts
Just for the record, an OBD2 reader cannot force a regen to my knowledge. Only JLR can do that at the shop. OBD2 only monitors via an app or at best serves as conduit via an app which might have basic functions like clearing error codes, service reset function, etc.
My icarsoft v2 can do forced regens if needed ......

·
Registered
L551 MY2020 D180 HSE
398 Posts
On a MY2020 or newer?

·
Registered
L551 MY2020 D180 HSE
398 Posts
No on my L538, pure sd 4 A

Also what do you ride ?, mine are both triumphs, trophy se and tiger
SWMBO and I have 2 bikes in the garage, an unrestricted Honda CB125T and a Yamaha SR500. Both hardly get looked at now as the roads around here are no fun any more and there are way too many idiots around.

·
Registered
2016 TD4 180 HSE MY17
303 Posts
iCarsoft is a tool vs and OBD2 adaptor which is just a plug I run on mine with an app. The latter does not do regens.
Font Gadget Electronic device Video game accessory Camera accessory
versus
Rectangle Computer data storage Audio equipment Font Electric blue

·
Registered
L551 MY2020 D180 HSE
398 Posts
Yes, I understand that. I used an obd2 and an app called CarScanner to monitor my FL2. Pathfinder for the MY2020 and newer doesn’t play so nicely. I’ll have to wait un someone makes something affordable to those that like to look under the bonnet.

141 - 160 of 178 Posts