Evoque Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I doing short distances evoque 2.0 ds4 and I have a problem with DPF regeneration. I have some idea - how You think about instaling some additional LED indicator and connected to some power receiver, maybe rear glas heater or mirror heater? (Opel Insignia and mondeo users did somethink like that).You know, I want to know.. when the regeneration dpf prosess is in progress - I cant turn off the car.

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
4,064 Posts
I've seen on other LR forums owners asking for a 'regen in progress' light so they know the state of play.
Unfortunately I don't think this is a DIY job.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Maybe not light as that would need a new instrument cluster, but a message on the Driver Information which shows on engine shut down? It could be configured to warn the driver that a Re-gen has been performed; In progress and aborted, and Re-Gen Urgently Required!
None of that is rocket science and easily executed, as the Message centre is a configurable device.

Best

Ian

·
Registered
MY16 SE Tech.
455 Posts
On Ingeniums diesels you get a yellow filter nearly full alarm that asks you to drive above forty for twenty minutes to clear. Ive had that happen twice in 42,000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
11,216 Posts
On Ingeniums diesels you get a yellow filter nearly full alarm that asks you to drive above forty for twenty minutes to clear. Ive had that happen twice in 42,000 miles.
My journeys are short, seldom over 12 miles and I can never maintain 40mph for 20 mins and in 11 months I’ve yet to get a warning. Tomorrow I’ve got a near 4 hour journey to the Malvern Hills for my Eastnor experience on Thursday so I’ll manage it ok then!

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
4,064 Posts
I think @vianooo was suggesting a lamp/indicator showing when a DPF Regen was in progress would be useful.

Part of the oil dilution problem is when the engine is turned off when a regen is in progress. A failed regen means that more diesel ends up in the sump... (extra diesel is used to produce heat for a regen). So if you knew a regen was in progress you might (if possible) keep driving to allow it to complete - then you would avoid the warning you mention.

Reactions: Veteran

·
Super Moderator
11,216 Posts
I think @vianooo was suggesting a lamp/indicator showing when a DPF Regen was in progress would be useful.

Part of the oil dilution problem is when the engine is turned off when a regen is in progress. A failed regen means that more diesel ends up in the sump... (extra diesel is used to produce heat for a regen). So if you knew a regen was in progress you might (if possible) keep driving to allow it to complete - then you would avoid the warning you mention.
I can understand that but there are times when you drive for say 15 mins at 40, then have to stop or slow down that negates what you have achieved and have to start the whole process all over again :mad:

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
4,064 Posts
I can see that's LRs thinking. What's the point of showing what's going on as if you have to stop you have to stop.
I like 'info/data' - so for some, knowing that a regen had been aborted means you could go for a blast to regen the DPF rather than find out later with DPF full warnings.

·
Registered
5,070 Posts
Looking it another way - if you know you are going on a longish drive, why can't you press a button or something on the screen to that effect, that indicates to the car's 'wonderful' computer system that it is fine to do the regen, if it thinks its getting close to needing to be done??

Reactions: XZ4

·
Registered
543 Posts
I know when a regen' is in operation the mpg never goes above 25mpg until its finished ...

·
Registered
MY16 SE Tech.
455 Posts
I know when a regen' is in operation the mpg never goes above 25mpg until its finished ...
Thats correct of course. I notice mine drops considerably but soon recovers.

·
Registered
42 Posts
JLR should have what Ford and others have.
A bladder with an additive that is put into the DPF to burn off the soot.
You don’t have to drive above 40 for 20 minutes and works while idling,as long as the engine is on, it keeps doing a regen.No need for oil dilution.
It last’s for at least 80,000 miles and seems a lot less hassle.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Ford also have experienced oil dilution problems contagion The Ford Transit & Kuga spring to mind whether this is still ongoing I am unsure but logic tells me if it was a easy fix JLR would have followed suit just my opinion ...

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
15,141 Posts
Ford also have experienced oil dilution problems contagion The Ford Transit & Kuga spring to mind whether this is still ongoing I am unsure but logic tells me if it was a easy fix JLR would have followed suit just my opinion ...
Some Euro 6 Transits are asking for an oil change every 3000 miles Steve. Glad mine is Euro 5.

Reactions: Steve A

·
Super Moderator
11,216 Posts
172 miles that should have done a regen!

·
Registered
13,303 Posts
Now on 91,000 miles and had to put 10L of Pig Piss in after a 3,000 run having topped it prior to my recent trip--something not right here!!! only 10 more months with the car, may just struggle through.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Now on 91,000 miles and had to put 10L of Pig Piss in after a 3,000 run having topped it prior to my recent trip--something not right here!!! only 10 more months with the car, may just struggle through.

Merc & Vauxhall owners have come up with a mod that lights an LED when the DPF regen is happening.

Be nice to know if it was possible in Evoques and Disco Sports with Ingenium engines. anyone know if it would work on an Evoque?

I think theres better ways to install the LED but that Video is good starting point

·
Registered
MY20.5 Range Rover Evoque (L551) First Edition P250 in Nolita Grey on a 70 plate
875 Posts
On Peugeot and Citroen (PSA Groupe) vehicles, certainly up until around 5 years ago, the heated door mirrors would come on when a DPF regen was in progress. This I understand was part of the DPF regen design, to increase load.

Some owners, wired a small LED in the door mirror to show a DPF regen was underway, so a glance there and you'd know.

No tell tale light would illuminate on the heated mirror button, as it would normally, but the mirrors would be hot to touch and the LED was a quite a clever way round not having any indication of a DPF regen in progress.

I cannot understand why manufacturers still don't give a proper light or progress bar of DPF regens, notably on diesels. Every diesel I've ever had, I'd only notice by the smell of the car after stopping, the clicking of expanding metal, or it sounded a bit gruffer when driving, that a DPF had been underway, and then you wouldn't know if it had successfully finished properly anyway.

·
Registered
35 Posts
On Peugeot and Citroen (PSA Groupe) vehicles, certainly up until around 5 years ago, the heated door mirrors would come on when a DPF regen was in progress. This I understand was part of the DPF regen design, to increase load.

Some owners, wired a small LED in the door mirror to show a DPF regen was underway, so a glance there and you'd know.

No tell tale light would illuminate on the heated mirror button, as it would normally, but the mirrors would be hot to touch and the LED was a quite a clever way round not having any indication of a DPF regen in progress.

I cannot understand why manufacturers still don't give a proper light or progress bar of DPF regens, notably on diesels. Every diesel I've ever had, I'd only notice by the smell of the car after stopping, the clicking of expanding metal, or it sounded a bit gruffer when driving, that a DPF had been underway, and then you wouldn't know if it had successfully finished properly anyway.
Thanks for the feedback, seems quite a few manufacturers do it will have to check the Evoque, problem is its my wifes car and so i dont drive it much.

If there was a light though she would happily spin round in it untill it went out, trying to explain the other stuff though and she puts her fingers in her ears LOL.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
So, in my extensive research (NOT!) before I bought the RRE, I never knew anything about DEF fluid or DPF regens. The salesman never thought it necessary to mention it, so I bought it, drove home & joined this forum.
Can you imagine how I felt when I started reading about all the DPF horror stories, especially when I realised that I more or less only ever do short journeys.

Some sort of indication that a regen was under way would be ideal for me so I would know to do another 36 trips round the block before parking up.

Yes I know it was probably my fault for not finding out about these things before buying the car, but never having had a diesel before, I had no knowledge of DPF’s DEF, or any other combinations of letters.

Im actually coming round to the idea of a P300e as I would hardly ever use the petrol engine. It’s just that I had decided to keep this one until the warranty ran out, also to go full electric next time, and I will have a very difficult task in persuading the OH to part with another wad so soon after spending a fortune on this one. (She hasn’t really forgiven me for that yet).

1 - 20 of 178 Posts