Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was just wondering if anyone has experienced the following. My wives car was parked in a multi story car park and I locked the car, upon my return and as I was walking to the car I noticed two velars parked both unlocked saying to myself thats a bit odd I hope my car is ok but when I get to the car which was a on the next level it too had been unlocked, has anyone experienced this?

I am not going mad honestly

Thank you in advance

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sounds like you could be a victim of a relay scam, where someone / thief nearby has a scanner and could be relaying your key electronic emanations to another thief with a programmable key.
I always keep my spare key in a faraday cage pouch in the house and have another attached to my key fob so it makes it more difficult for a thief to grab my key data and steal the car.
2 pouches cost £6 on eBay
I urge all owners with keyless entry to take this precaution.

·
Registered
70 Posts
According to the Thatcham Research Centre, the Evoque is supposed to be resilient to a relay attack and scored "Superior" on their scale. I don't know how it actually stops it though. Also if someone is relaying their key, why would they all be unlocked plus they surely would have been stolen or cleared out!

Now, do you remember actually visually seeing your car lock? Mirrors fold, door handles in, if MY20? I ask because a Jammer would be more likely and the ideal spot is a multi storey car park. They are left in place to block key signals so cars are left open without the owner realising it. With access to the OBD2 port and a laptop, professional thieves can create a key in under a minute from a blank fob.

·
Registered
70 Posts
In the jamming scenario, the reason the cars are not tampered with could be that they haven't got a blank fob for a RR but may be lieing in wait for say an Audi as that is what's been ordered.

The best way to be sure your Evoque is locked is to double lock it, as you get a little beep with the double flash of the indicators and the beep is really obvious. Double press any button to double lock which is a bit tricky with a door handle that starts moving on the first press! :rolleyes: You have to get the knack of it...

·
Registered
491 Posts
Can you lock the my20 with your finger as on the previous model?
Yep, if it's got keyless.
As Nick says though it can be a bit tricky as the handle starts to retract after the first push on the "tab" in the handle so for double locking the second push needs practice or wait until the handle is flush then press it again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts