Evoque Owners Club banner

Distraught!!

10K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  Mortz 
#1 ·
Hi there

I'm expecting delivery of my Evoque Dynamic SD4 Auto (Fuji white) next month and up until yesterday when I test drove one, I couldn't wait.

I'm really not sure I'm going to go ahead with the order now.My main concern is that I wasn't blown away the minute I laid eyes on one in the metal. It just seemed a lot smaller than I was expecting it to be and I didn't think it would be quite so low either. I know it's the Baby RR but it really didn't WOW me like I expected it to. Also inside, especially in the back seemed a bit too cramped for my liking. My one is almost £41k but now I just don't think it's enough of a car for that.

Don't get me wrong it's great to drive and smooth even on bumpy roads but as I'd read in a review the auto box sometimes gets a bit confused between gears. Also the leather seats especially the rear ones just seemed a little roughly finished compared to Audi's and BMW's I've owned in the recent past.

I've passed on my concerns to my dealer and I'm planning another test drive this weekend hopefully in one with an even closer spec to mine.

Fingers crossed!

Peter

See less See more
#3 ·
I believe that you are paying for the brand, but the same could be said of many BMW and Audi's etc.

The styling of the Evoque has been a big success, with the coupe easily beating the 5dr on looks. But, practicality often wins out over style. I thought we were getting a 5dr, but my good lady has chosen the coupe and we will have to live with it, besides it won't be that often that we will need to use the rear seats.

Also, I would think that if you really didn't want the 3dr, there would loads of potential buyers waiting to take it off of your hands, such is the current demand for the car.

#4 ·
It is the 5 door model that I've ordered.

The wife and I are going for a test drive of the Evoque again tomorrow for a final decision. On the day I test drove it I was very tired due to my recent workload so I'm hoping I got it all wrong! I've waited a long time for this car to come out and I really want it to be great.

As I said before fingers crossed.

I have arranged a test drive of a Q5 right after just in case...

#5 ·
Wow, can't believe you didn't love it, but then it isn't for everyone! I can't wait for mine, but it is my first Range Rover!! no good buying it if it isn't right, but hope you have a good test drive tomorrow

#7 ·
evoque_bck said:
Hi there

I'm expecting delivery of my Evoque Dynamic SD4 Auto (Fuji white) next month and up until yesterday when I test drove one, I couldn't wait.

I'm really not sure I'm going to go ahead with the order now.My main concern is that I wasn't blown away the minute I laid eyes on one in the metal. It just seemed a lot smaller than I was expecting it to be and I didn't think it would be quite so low either. I know it's the Baby RR but it really didn't WOW me like I expected it to. Also inside, especially in the back seemed a bit too cramped for my liking. My one is almost £41k but now I just don't think it's enough of a car for that.

Don't get me wrong it's great to drive and smooth even on bumpy roads but as I'd read in a review the auto box sometimes gets a bit confused between gears. Also the leather seats especially the rear ones just seemed a little roughly finished compared to Audi's and BMW's I've owned in the recent past.

I've passed on my concerns to my dealer and I'm planning another test drive this weekend hopefully in one with an even closer spec to mine.

Fingers crossed!

Peter
Completely understand as that's how I felt when I drove it for the first time.

The Manual version is far better, but for me I felt that at least 30 of the diesel engine's 190 horses had bolted! Performance is sluggish to say the least.

Apart from that, 5 door is great, fit and finish is great, looks are great - price is £10k too much!

Ride quality on the 20 inch wheels is far harsher than the 19 inch alloys, and the ride quality of the Prestige version is far better than the Dynamic.

So try and test drive a 5 door, manual, diesel prestige on 19 inch alloys Peter, you will be surprised!

RBD914

#9 ·
I cancelled the Evoque after the second test drive. I've bought a brand new Ibis White Audi Q5 S-Line Special Edition which I pick up on Friday. I'm very happy with my choice, not least because it was £6k less expensive! It's bigger than the Evoque, in my opinion is better built and for me is more of a known quantity.

I still like the Evoque looks though I must say. Once it's been on the market for a couple of years who knows I may be tempted again! Never say never...

Peter

#15 ·
I still think the Audi is the quality looking design.

The Evoque is a good looking car no doubt. It is also overpriced, small and totally untested in the real world. My other choices were the BMW X3 (6 months waiting list and god awful looking) or the Volvo XC60 (Pipe and Slippers).

The Q5 for me was the only real choice. It's bigger, proven, quality and an 'Audi'. Say no more. The Evoque is just after all a Freelander 2 in a nice suit and as Topgear's James May stated the chassis is at it's core based on the Ford Mondeo's one.

Edited by: evoque_bck

#16 ·
evoque_bck said:

The Evoque is a good looking car no doubt. It is also overpriced, small and totally untested in the real world. My other choices were the BMW X3 (6 months waiting list and god awful looking) or the Volvo XC60 (Pipe and Slippers).

The Q5 for me was the only real choice. It's bigger, proven, quality and an 'Audi'. Say no more. The Evoque is just after all a Freelander 2 in a nice suit and as Topgear's James May stated the chassis is at it's core based on the Ford Mondeo's one.

Ummm I thank you for your comment

Indeed the evoque is an awesome looking car there is no other car on the planet that will beat it in terms of style and looks... agree the Q5 is a different car in design andhas a proven track record.

Here comes the new kid on the block...do give the evoque the space it deserves..the evoque will be competive in terms of price etc against it's competitors for sure

The evoque is nothing like the freelander 2....90% of the design and underpinings of the evoque is fresh and new... and nothing like the mondeo....only similarity to ford is if you opt for the petrol derivative...it gets the new Ford ST engine...which is modified to suit the legendary off road capabilities...

#18 ·
Mortz said:
evoque_bck said:

Ummm I thank you for your comment

Indeed the evoque is an awesome looking car there is no other car on the planet that will beat it in terms of style and looks... agree the Q5 is a different car in design andhas a proven track record.

Here comes the new kid on the block...do give the evoque the space it deserves..the evoque will be competive in terms of price etc against it's competitors for sure

The evoque is nothing like the freelander 2....90% of the design and underpinings of the evoque is fresh and new... and nothing like the mondeo....only similarity to ford is if you opt for the petrol derivative...it gets the new Ford ST engine...which is modified to suit the legendary off road capabilities...
You say the Evoque will be competitive in terms of price - is there a price reduction coming down the track then? It is way overpriced against it's competitors at present!

#19 ·
There seems to be a lot of negativity about the Evoque recently within the forums. I think LR have built up maybe too much hype about the car and this has caused everyone to get very excited. When people finally get to see and drive the car they are expecting something different, maybe like a miracle or a new era in motoring when if fact at the end of the day it is just another car on the road.

I placed my order in May and I still can't wait for the day my wife gets behind the wheel. I've looked at several options and competitors even some exotic cars such as 911's and GTR's (for myself and used of course) and when you price the competitors directly, namely the BMW X1 and the new Audi Q3, like for like when you spec up the German rivals so that equipment levels are similar, prices creep just above £40k. Try it if you don't believe me but i've spent many many hours adding this, deleting that.

I have ordered the Evoque 5dr Dynamic Si4 in white with shadow wheels, panoramic roof, surround cameras, electric tailgate, auto dim rear view mirror and park assist. A lot of the standard I definitely wanted and these were options on other cars, for example electric seats and xenon lights. I didn't like the X1 because it looks too narrow. I see a few everyday because I take the kids to school and though it does look good in profile from the front it lacking a few inches in width. The Q3 looks a bit 'funny' at the back when looking at it from the side, for some reason I think of the Austin Allegro. Plus we have an A3 (2 litre petrol turbo) at the moment and as romantic as it sounds with a driveway of a pair of his and her Audi's I didn't want to jump from one car to the other and be in basically the same car.

To me the Evoque will be our main car and I will have spent a lot of money on a car. We're not downsizing so our expectations are not sky high already, but I do expect good looks, a good drive, good quality and a car that makes us feel special because I've spent my hard earned cash on it. I've been lucky to have driven the Evoque at the Manchester event a month ago and after a lot of button pressing, prodding around the interior, checking paint quality and panel gaps, driving past shop windows and seeing other people's reactions in their BMW X's and VW Tiguan's, the Evoque more than fulfilled my expectations. I'll be selling my Mini Cooper S (over 9 years old) and I have not been this excited since I first waited for my Mini. We've had other cars, I've driven friends' cars, seen a lot of customers' cars from Kugas to Cayennes to Bentleys to Tiguans to Q7's to X6's, parked in our car park but nothing made me want the Evoque more than when one of the guys at the Halewood plant parked a prototype Evoque and had a meal at our place.

I've ranted on a bit and everyone will have their own opinions and this is why I've expressed my feelings because I just want people to know what the Evoque means to me and my wife and it's a car that makes us smile and feel good. We've not told our kids yet but I think they'll be over the moon when they see it picking them up from school.

#20 ·
It's always great to see someone genuinely excited about getting a new car.
You're making me think about the Evoque again!! When I trade in my Q5 in a few years time who knows. I pick it up tomorrow and have the usual butterflies in the belly already!

I really hope the Evoque lives up to and exceeds your expectations. Enjoy!

#21 ·
I visited the factory where the Evoque is made on Tuesday and I was very impressed by all I saw and I say this as a long-time visitor to car factories. They are making more than 500 Evoques a day and they are everywhere - getting the parts in and the completed cars out is a major logistical challenge.

Tomm uch to describe but consider this. Parts which were pressed this morning are by now part of a completed bodyshell which will be painted overnight and the entire remainder of the car added in less than 4 hours so that the car will drive out of the yellow door at the end of the production line by lunchtime on Friday.

I do not for one minute think the Evoque is overpriced. First, you have to spec the Audi up to it level. A bare-bones Audi is a desparately dull place to be. Second, the Audi doesn't have anything like the off-road capability of the Evoque so that adds to the cost. Finally, it's right that they charge what the market will bear to recoup their development costs. There is no shortage of demand. For now, at least, they can sellevery car they make. In time, that may change but for now, the RRE is taking the market by storm.

#22 ·
Saying the Evoque is like a Mondeo is the same as Clarkson saying that Audi's are like a beetle, or a Skoda!

All manufacturers share parts and platforms within their company, it's what helps cut development costs.

As for them being over priced? Again, I don't think so. They are expensive? Maybe, depends how you look at them, if you expect to pay the base price (approx 28k) but then still expect get all the toys you might bedisappointed. But that's the same with all cars. The new Citroen DS4 is priced about 24k I think new and for an extra 4k you could have a base Evoque!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.