Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have been doing some google searching (keep getting an internal error when trying to search the forum) due to the fact that Direct Line are refusing to cover my evoque for theft until I get a tracker fitted.

They have confirmed they will accept any tracker that is Thatcham 5, 6 or 7 rated, as well as a list of non-Thatcham approved trackers.

My question is, has anyonehad to do thisthemselves and worked out the cheapest way of doing it? Direct Line have already confirmed that fitting a tracker will not reduce my premium, only ensure that I am covered for theft related incidents. For this reason, I want to do this as cheap as possible. I've also done searches on Go Compare, LV, Land Rover insurance etc. and all come out a fair bit higher than Direct Line,so it seems it makes sense to stay with them and get the tracker.

Does anyone have any tips or options for something reasonably cheap with low priced subscriptions too?

Thanks in advance.

Sean

·
Super Moderator
7,323 Posts
I had to do this with AVIVA as I'm in Birmingham and it's dodgy round here....˜‚
I used SmartrackPro and I'm now with Direct Line this year.
It cost about £200 to have fitted and I pay monthly £14.00 a month.
Use this company - they are very good.

Don't go Chinese imported rubbish - go for this one - also gives you a phone app as well.....

Good Luck!

https://www.trackerfit.co.uk/smartrack-protector-pro.html

·
Super Moderator
7,323 Posts
You can pay a lifetime subscription of £399.00 but that's only for as long as you own the car....you can take the tracker off car but the subscription stops and you start again.....

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
I too had mine (Vodaphone/Cobra) supplied by Trackerfit - very efficient - and they organised the fitter to fit it (about 1hr) at the address of your choosing.Cost £210 supplied and fitted, plus £139 annual charge - so I will be quids in when I renew my insurance next year (as it saved approx £400 by having it fitted).

If you fit it yourself you probably won't have the appropriate certificate certifying that it was fitted correctly (which the insurance company requires).

There have been recent posts on this forum about insurance and the need (or otherwise!) of having a tracker fitted.

PS. apparently, insurance companies do not recognise the standard 'tracking' device fitted to the Evoque (can't remember what its called - "in Control?") as Thatcham approved.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the replies, much appreciated.

@Spiderman - Think I'm leaning towards the SmartTrack Protector Pro after taking a look. Did you bother with the DRS tags to scan before driving as these are an extra £180? Also, do you remember how long it took them to come out and fit it after purchase?

Edited by: SeanB

·
Super Moderator
7,323 Posts
No I didn't bother with the tags...... just summat else to worry about....
I've had a few calls from tracker company. One when LR lifted the vehicle onto tow truck (long story) and they called me to say "did you know your vehicle had been lifted more than 3 ft in the air......I said yes I'm watching it!
Very impressed.
Also when LR took battery off they called me to say power lost - is there an issue?
Oooops.....I now ring them before this happens.
They are very good though....
Once you order online, the tracker arrives and you have a letter saying "ring to arrange fitting date"
It depends on the fitter when he's in the area.
I called on the Monday and it was fitted on the Thursday.....Edited by: Spiderman

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok great, at least it sounds like it works!
Whilst I wanted to do it as cheap as possible, I also want something that is reliable and actually does the job intended.

I'll go ahead and order that one. I feel much better knowing it's been recommended too, especially from a fellow brummie haha.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
653 Posts
If your insurance company's insists on one being fitted ,will they not cover it until it's fitted ,or is there a reasonable time given to get it done ,.

Didn't have to have one fitted last time round ,have they given a reason why they won't except the LR In control tracker
And insist on a third party tracker .

Thanks

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Insurers don't usually give a period of grace it's usually no theft cover until tracker fitted.

The standard in control app is not monitored by a control room and is not Thatcham approved. I've got it in the back of my mind that the top in control may be approved but it's expensive. Someone more in the know may be able to elaborate

·
Registered
241 Posts
So why do Certain Insurance Companies insist on a Tracker & other's don't? Would you get a "discount" from one if you had a Tracker & it was not specified as a Pre-requisite?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's what Direct Line told me -I am not covered for any theft related claim until I can provide them with a certificate proving I have an approved tracker fitted.

I have a 2013 evoque so unless I've missed something, mine doesn't come with InControl anyway. Direct Line sent me a list of non-Thatcham approved trackers that they acceptand Land Rover InControl Secure appears on there, but nothing else. I assume the "secure" version of InControl is what Oldgit refers to and I assume would cost to install/upgrade.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I believe a number of insurers offer a discount if you have a Thatcham approved tracker, although Direct Line do not.

Direct Line were still significantly cheaper than any other policy I found though, even after considering I need to purchase a tracker to ensure I am covered for theft with them.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I think it depends on post code and value of car.
My insurers didn't want one on my pure tech M V £28k but when exchanged for dynamic with extras MV £46k tracker required and no theft cover until installation certificate received. I find it strange that some insurers do and others don't require tracker. If you do find one that doesn't require tracker then good luck and go for it.
I would however, not be surprised if more and more insurers require trackers in the future depending on claims experience. I've been shopping around this week and whether or not they require them mentioned tracker fitted but no offer of a discount.Edited by: Oldgit

·
Registered
241 Posts
SeanB said:
I believe a number of insurers offer a discount if you have a Thatcham approved tracker, although Direct Line do not.

Direct Line were still significantly cheaper than any other policy I found though, even after considering I need to purchase a tracker to ensure I am covered for theft with them.
Thanks...I might give Direct Line a ring when my Renewal comes around in August, but it would need to be a significant saving compared with the "Comparison" Websites to justify fitting a Tracker, if I don't need to & the added expense of the Annual "Service" Charge!!!!!

As some have pointed out in the Past...After You'd kept your Pride & Joy in Tip Top Condition, would you really want it back, if some Toe-Rag or Scally decide to take it & take it out on a "spin".....??

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
11,125 Posts
I'm with Ageas. No tracker required. Mine is garaged overnight and good postcode. Pano roof covered by glass cover too
Edited by: XZ4

·
Registered
497 Posts
Started with Saga, now with LV as pano roof covered under "glass section". Neither required tracker. Always found them cheaper than Direct Line. Tip - LV always seem ready to negotiate & drop online quote if you call them.Edited by: BobH

·
Registered
653 Posts
Not even contacted mine yet as it's got to be insured either way ,if one has to be fitted then I will

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
To give you some figures, LV quoted me £1100 without needing a tracker. Cheapest comparison site was £700 when I declared I do not currently have a tracker, and it's not clear until you speak to them whether they will require a tracker in order to cover you for theft or not.

Direct line was £390 but needed a tracker fitted.

Definitely shop around, it seems like prices are all over the place.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Agree Sean got my current insurers down to £560 an increase of approx 7% over last year. NFU want £702 Saga cheapest at £302 but pano roof covered under body damage not glass section so hence large excess and therefore no go. RAC coming in @ £350 approx. Will try your Direct Line tomorrow. It's all a bit of a laugh ”

1 - 20 of 39 Posts