Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Evoque was Serviced at end of March, 1k miles ago. It’s a 5/19 (L551) Today a warning message came up on the dash to say 1500 miles to go until DEF fluid runs out. Requires 9 litres. Would this level be checked during its major service? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
13,563 Posts
I would have thought they would check the DEF level and top up if required and charged for it.

·
Registered
Dynamic 3 door, 2013, SD4, santorini black with pimento and ebony
564 Posts
Do you get a book explaining about servicing? If so check what it says under service operations or ask the dealer for the service operations check list for your car, it should have been provided when you picked it up.
My Mercedes states top up add blue at each service but they only did it twice out of four services. Seems a bit of an industry scam, dont top up unless the light is on then claim the owner must have ‘used it all’. (They lost that argument with me 😁)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you get a book explaining about servicing? If so check what it says under service operations or ask the dealer for the service operations check list for your car, it should have been provided when you picked it up.
My Mercedes states top up add blue at each service but they only did it twice out of four services. Seems a bit of an industry scam, dont top up unless the light is on then claim the owner must have ‘used it all’. (They lost that argument with me 😁)
Hi, yes i had a look at my service record online, it says check all accessible levels. I know driving style, car journey lengths etc can alter how much add blue the car goes through, but requiring 9litres after 1k miles seems a lot.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Top Tip.
If the car is asking for 9 litres and you have to refill it yourself then add 8 litres.
Experience with this engine on other forums is always add one litre less than it's asking for so the sensor doesn't get the dreaded crud building up.

Reactions: Lozzy

·
Registered
MY16 HSE Dynamic LUX, MY20 R Dynamic HSE, Volvo 850R
2,506 Posts
Luckily the 2020 car tells you how many litres you need, some decant from a 10L tub into a 1L bottle which has the special filling nozzle and put in 1L at a time, the older MY16 onwards just told you how many miles you have left with the low level warning coming on around 1200 miles, once filled I believe its around the 6000 miles mark, the trouble people and me encountered was how many litres are required, how many litres are left at 1200 miles and how many litres are required to fill up the tank hence a lot of overfiling was going on and submerging the ultrasonic level sensor then giving off the incorrect DEF fluid detected warning, anyway I digress

Reactions: PhilB

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Top Tip.
If the car is asking for 9 litres and you have to refill it yourself then add 8 litres.
Experience with this engine on other forums is always add one litre less than it's asking for so the sensor doesn't get the dreaded crud building up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thankyou, that’s helpful. I called the LR parts Dept, they said I need to contact the Service Dept as they have a ‘special price’, I can’t get it from. So I’ve email the service dept to ask and for them to check last service, was the level checked as 9 litres seems a lot to refill after 1k miles.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Luckily the 2020 car tells you how many litres you need, some decant from a 10L tub into a 1L bottle which has the special filling nozzle and put in 1L at a time, the older MY16 onwards just told you how many miles you have left with the low level warning coming on around 1200 miles, once filled I believe its around the 6000 miles mark, the trouble people and me encountered was how many litres are required, how many litres are left at 1200 miles and how many litres are required to fill up the tank hence a lot of overfiling was going on and submerging the ultrasonic level sensor then giving off the incorrect DEF fluid detected warning, anyway I digress

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, it’s really handy it telling me how many litres are required. I’m just waiting to here from the Service Dept. Thank you

·
Registered
MY16 HSE Dynamic LUX, MY20 R Dynamic HSE, Volvo 850R
2,506 Posts
They either didn't check it OR it fell above the level they deem requires topping up, thats a pure guess though and you'd have to check with the dealer, I wouldn't mention that at first though because I suspect they'd make up some silly guideline they use to say that it didn't need topping up

I'd ring up the service desk as a random customer weighing up a dealer service against an indy asking whats included in a service then moving onto levels and adblue

Reactions: PhilB

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thankyou. I have the managers contact details, which I’ve emailed, as I’ve had the car in with them at lot over the last few months.
  • delaminated black parts of the rear lights and reflectors - faulty light replaced
  • damaged wires behind steering column caused by they think a mouse!….14 warning lights came on, no power steering, anti lock breaking, you name it… like Blackpool illuminations
  • interior lights stopped working, screen jamming… roof lining stripped to find the cause
The cars been a nightmare

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
some decant from a 10L tub into a 1L bottle which has the special filling nozzle and put in 1L at a time,
The Redex bottle seems to be popular as it has the "no spill" proper nozzle.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you, I’ll wait and see what they say. Redex … I recognise that name, thank you so much, most helpful

·
Registered
MY16 SE Tech.
434 Posts
Mine had its 3rd (A) service last month and the DEF fluid was down as an "optional" meaning if required part of the service. Mine was above 3,000 miles when it went in and 12 when it came out. So I suppose its down to the what your dealer see's as "required" Most would I'm pretty sure top up if the warning light was on.

Reactions: Doink

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I’ve just received a call from the service Dept, they have said this is not one of the levels they check during a service. ?? Anyway, it’s being done FOC, I’ve just to pop and it will take 20 mins or so. Thanks so much everyone for your help

·
Registered
530 Posts
For the benefit of others, the DEF refill quantity is shown on MY18's, I don't know how far MY's back that goes if at all. You can find it in the in car menu or it's even available on the Remote app....

As already mentioned it's wise to only put a litre or so less than is reported.

·
Registered
130 Posts
It was certainly the case in the past that DEF level was not checked at the service, or even pre-delivery! Those with service plan were entitled to unlimited free top-ups. I don't know what the current state of play is, but as far as I can remember the DEF was not topped up on my last (first) service (but my memory could be at fault).

·
Registered
2017 HSE Dynamic Lux in Aintree Green, Surround and Park Assist, Heated Wheel
333 Posts
For the benefit of others, the DEF refill quantity is shown on MY18's, I don't know how far MY's back that goes if at all. You can find it in the in car menu or it's even available on the Remote app....
View attachment 9008

As already mentioned it's wise to only put a litre or so less than is reported.
I think this starts from MY18 as mines is MY17 and I don't get the DEF range shown in the Remote app or in the dash.

Reactions: Col_C
1 - 20 of 24 Posts