Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I have a 2013 Evoque with about 75k miles. Last weekend I noticed a distinct loss of power and after about 10 minutes of driving, the check engine light came on. Scanned it, and it was giving me P0299. I took it to a local shop this morning to get their diagnosis, and they said the turbocharger was dead. I asked for a quote, and they told me $4,500. This seems really steep to me. Has anyone tried replacing this themselves?

I'm pretty handy with mechanical things and am confident in trying it. However, if panels have to be removed, or the engine re positioned to get the parts out/in, I'll just have to bite the bullet and pay someone else to do it. Any input? Any good shop manuals that you might recommend for the steps to complete the fix? I found a pretty thorough video on Youtube, but they left the turbocharger in and replaced only the exhaust manifold.

Thanks for the input and advice!

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
11,665 Posts
I take it they've definitely identified the turbo as being faulty. Many have mentioned split turbo hoses being a problem.

·
Registered
11,284 Posts
First place to start is with the hoses.

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
1,767 Posts
The OP says it's been diagnosed in a garage/shop, so you would hope they've had a good look...

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
It may have been a JLR garage/shop.:mad:;):rolleyes:o_O:unsure::cry:

·
Registered
Evoque MY20 First Edition in Seoul Pearl Silver
1,738 Posts
Am I getting a hint of 'not the most reliable' from your post Bazz?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I take it they've definitely identified the turbo as being faulty. Many have mentioned split turbo hoses being a problem.
I bet they didn't check on that. I get the impression they only ran the diagnostic codes. Which hoses should I check for problems? I imagine if the coolant or oil hoses were split, I'd be able to tell from fluids. Are you talking about the vacuum hose?

Thanks for the help! Hopefully it is the hoses and the fix is much easier than replacing the whole manifold/turbo unit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bet they didn't check on that. I get the impression they only ran the diagnostic codes. Which hoses should I check for problems? I imagine if the coolant or oil hoses were split, I'd be able to tell from fluids. Are you talking about the vacuum hose?

Thanks for the help! Hopefully it is the hoses and the fix is much easier than replacing the whole manifold/turbo unit.
Also, would that cause the turbo to fail even after the check engine light has been cleared? The shop that ran the diagnostic cleared the code, but the turbo was clearly not working at all; after about 2 miles of driving, the light came back on.

·
Registered
2013 L538 RR Evoque Pure Tech td4
1,967 Posts
Wow $4,500 now that is a shocker.
Is yours petrol or diesel?
I suppose your garage would insist on fitting all brand-new parts. If it is a turbo failure and not just down to the hoses, getting yours or buying a re-furbed turbo would certainly be a much cheaper option on a 2013 car.
Good luck, let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I inspected the hoses the best I could, and couldn't see/feel any cracks or splits. Looks like I'm taking out the whole assembly. I've removed the intake and the passenger-side tire and wheel well cover. Looks like I can get some decent access from there. I'm going to drain coolant and start removing hoses tonight. Will keep you updated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alright everyone,
After a few nights and last weekend, I finally removed the turbo and squeezed it out of the passenger wheel well! Turns out the turbine was frozen. Ordered a new part today.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts