Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my current car, when you start the car up, the DRL come on at the front and the rear light clusters are also illuminated all the time. This avoids the situation you often see, where cars are driving around in poor light conditions without any headlights on.

Does the current RRE have this DRL setup?

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Ah this old chestnut, what year is your current car, in fact is it even an evoque because as far as I could work out the rear lights don't come on, this topic has been discussed before, JLR were having none of it even though its a requirement in Scandinavia

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My current car is a 2018 Peugeot 3008, but I'm wondering if the latest RRE has this set on (I'm guessing not).

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
11,942 Posts
A few members have the latest model so hopefully one of them can confirm. DKZ ?

Reactions: rencar

·
Registered
817 Posts
On the MY20 on start up the front DRL's come on and so do the rear light clusters.
Then the rears go off and only the front DRL's remain on.
Yes an old chestnut as nobody knows why.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2015 Dynamic Lux 2.2Sd4
2,563 Posts
On the MY20 on start up the front DRL's come on and so do the rear light clusters.
Then the rears go off and only the front DRL's remain on.
Yes an old chestnut as nobody knows why.
:rolleyes:
Hi PhilB,
I yes it is an old chestnut & I do know why but I am too polite to say on line, suffice to say it refers to JLR policy.:mad:

·
Registered
817 Posts
Not just JLR policy either.
:)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Seems daft.

The new 3008 launched in 2017 has had the feature on and was the first car I’d seen with that feature. It’s excellent as it avoids the situations you see where someone is merrily driving at dusk with just the front DRL on. Or in gloomy weather and you come up behind a car with no tail lights illuminated.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Just leave the lights on auto as they are quite "keen" to come on around dusk.
In rain the full headlights/rear lamps come on if your windscreen wipers activate too.
But fog is always the issue with auto lamps if the light levels re pretty good.
Have to do it the old fashioned way and do it by hand.
:)

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
The Mrs always bollocks me for turning auto lights to off because when she drives at night she says the drls are that bright she doesn't realise she's driving with no lights on till she gets flashes, I think it's hilarious

Reactions: ukcommander

·
Registered
86 Posts
I don't think it's hilarious - it's just plain bloody stupid. I've started my car up on a couple of occasions when facing a wall, and seen that the front lights (of some sort) are ON, and only discovered from people flashing me later on, on the M-way, because I had no rear lights showing.

As said above, the only way to be sure is to switch the lights manually.

·
Registered
2015 Dynamic Lux 2.2Sd4
2,563 Posts
Hi Doink,
It would make sense to have DRL's front & rear as they do in other Countries as it would stop this problem. It has been proven be a lot safer too as the DRL's are a lot brighter than sidelights & can be seen more in daylight. It has been proved that DRL's work & prevent accidents so why are we being denied this basic safety feature by JLR :unsure:

·
Registered
2015 Dynamic Lux 2.2Sd4
2,563 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
You are not being denied anything Bazz.
Plenty of manufacturers in this country don't have rear lights on with DRLs and as you say the real safety feature in the daytime is bright DRL's on the front which makes an oncoming car more visible.
The rear lamps aren't any brighter as they are just the standard tail lights so unless you are reversing everywhere I don't see any huge safety feature having the rear lights on during the daytime.
If someone is going to arse end you because they aren't paying attention then the only thing that might help is the very bright high level brake light which of course is on when you brake.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
When I said hilarious I meant in the way she bollocks me, just like she does when I crush the pop bottle before screwing the top back on and put it back in the fridge NOT hilarious that they evoques haven't got rear drls, guess you just weren't on my level there?

·
Registered
2018 HSE Dynamic Black Pack
56 Posts
I have a Citroen Dispatch van which has DRL’s. They rear lights come on at the same time. The DRL’s are brighter than the side lights. So I don’t bother with the side lights.

·
Registered
2015 Dynamic Lux 2.2Sd4
2,563 Posts
You are not being denied anything Bazz.
Plenty of manufacturers in this country don't have rear lights on with DRLs and as you say the real safety feature in the daytime is bright DRL's on the front which makes an oncoming car more visible.
The rear lamps aren't any brighter as they are just the standard tail lights so unless you are reversing everywhere I don't see any huge safety feature having the rear lights on during the daytime.
If someone is going to arse end you because they aren't paying attention then the only thing that might help is the very bright high level brake light which of course is on when you brake.
I would query that because my REAR DRL's worked when I purchased the motor, they stopped after a software update performed by my local dealer during the first (of many) visits for repairs. I have explained this to JLR in great depth but have been stonewalled by all & refused to reinstate what I had when it was purchased. I really do not understand JLR's stance on this, as all I am asking for is a basic safety feature which can be activated with a code supplied by them as has been done many times in the past. I have told them that if I am involved in a rear end shunt that possibly could have been avoided had there been REAR DRL's in operation I will take legal action.:mad:

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
This is a long shot but could it be that yours had been activated by maybe a previous owner IF that is you didn't have it from new, maybe someone with a higher than normal spec diagnostic tool which can code things in, in any case however it was coded in before JLR are saying it shouldn't have been and none of the cars left the factory with this feature, looking at it from JLR's POV is they don't want to set a precedent where if someone who hasn't had theirs coded in is involved in a rear end shunt and it was established that rear illuminated DRL's could have prevented it then JLR could soon find themselves in court especially if someone was killed as a result, I guess they just don't want to go down that road, if yours then its everybody's OR leave it as it came out the factory

·
Registered
184 Posts
Firstly I think front DRL's are generally a good thing (even though it makes me less visible when on my motorcycle), however I don't agree the same is true for rear DRL's. A collision to the front is caused by not being seen by a oncoming vehicle or one pulling out from a junction, a rear end collision is most likely caused by a following vehicle not noticing that you are braking. IMO brake lights on an otherwise unlit car are much more likely to alert a dozy driver than on a car that is already lit.
As already mentioned the auto headlight setting also has you covered for the rear lights when low light requires it (fog being the only reason that - god forbid - a driver actually has to pay attention to what he/she is doing.
And just to add to the debate, as DLR's become more and more common place their effectiveness deminishes.

Reactions: DKZ5745
1 - 20 of 23 Posts