Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2016, Evoque HSE Dynamic Lux
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Newbie here with an Evoque (and happy), plate of Nov 2016.
Can anyone tell me if the SIM card slot accepts a Data-only SIM card or also works with a hybrid call/data SIM card? I tried with an EE Hybrid and didn't work, said Reading SIM but nothing happened.

Just want to know if I bought a car with a busted connectivity or SIM slot. If it's just Data-only SIM then I'll get one tomorrow. I am taking the ferry to Santander and then driving down to Lisbon so would be nice to be able to update the SatNav and get live updates.

Many thanks,
RB

·
Registered
2017 HSE Dynamic Lux in Aintree Green, Surround and Park Assist, Heated Wheel
333 Posts
I have a data only SIM and I think it has to be one of those type to work.

Certainly worth trying ad they are pretty cheap (free) to get and try out before worrying about the connector being broken :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
3 do a 200mb a month free sim. I never got mine to work but there are reports in this forum of people who use got it working.
I also used a BT sim that came out of my iPhone and it worked perfectly.

·
Registered
333 Posts
3 do a 200mb a month free sim. I never got mine to work but there are reports in this forum of people who use got it working.
I got my 200Mb free Three SIM to work. It was a pain and you need to register it in an iPad (or similar) and set it to 3G as well as one other possible setting change.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Buy the three data only sim from amazon.
12 months with 12GB for around £30 (bigger data allowances are available).
Plug and play straight from the card with no registering or messing around.
Works in Europe too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts, I'll probably reply to some of you quoting and ask for some clarification.

Cheers,
RB

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Bud ski but now I am confused. Is that BT SIM a hybrid or a data-only? I was told here (and also called Land Rover Customer Service today) that just data-only works, normal call/data SIMs don't work.

Thanks,
RB

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got my 200Mb free Three SIM to work. It was a pain and you need to register it in an iPad (or similar) and set it to 3G as well as one other possible setting change.
Thanks Elpaulio, what other possible setting change would that be? I saw a video about that and the only settings I would potentially have to change...

Thanks,
RB

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry, one final question, if there is a real issue with the car SIM reader, if I use my mobile phone as a hotspot will I be allowed to use live data and update maps, etc, or is that only allowed if I have an internal SIM card? Technically the only advantage of the internal SIM is the bigger aerial the car has, making it easier to get a signal in more poorly covered areas. But does Land Rover use that as and update deterrent?

Thanks,
RB

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks Bud ski but now I am confused. Is that BT SIM a hybrid or a data-only? I was told here (and also called Land Rover Customer Service today) that just data-only works, normal call/data SIMs don't work.

Thanks,
RB
Yes it was a hybrid sim. I took it straight out of the iPhone I use daily for calls & data. I don’t think there anything special about it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes it was a hybrid sim. I took it straight out of the iPhone I use daily for calls & data. I don’t think there anything special about it.
In your Range Rover SIM card slot? I tried with an EE I had on my phone as well and didn't work...it stayed "Reading SIM" forever :(.
I didn't even know I could use that internal SIM for calls. I though that system was only for data exchange, nothing else.

Thanks,
RB

·
Registered
27 Posts
In your Range Rover SIM card slot? I tried with an EE I had on my phone as well and didn't work...it stayed "Reading SIM" forever :(.
I didn't even know I could use that SIM for calls. I though that system was only for data exchange, nothing else.

Thanks,
RB
Just to clarify. The sim only allows data when placed in the car sim port.

I did occasionally get ‘Reading SIM’ message when trying to connect a 3 SIM card and found that wiggling it in the port worked. Not sure if something is loose in there that reconnected when moving the card.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just to clarify. The sim only allows data when placed in the car sim port.

I did occasionally get ‘Reading SIM’ message when trying to connect a 3 SIM card and found that wiggling it in the port worked. Not sure if something is loose in there that reconnected when moving the card.
They say on the Manual that the Reading SIM should always appear and then after a few seconds but have tried with a Vodafone data-only I bought today, and nothing. Tried wiggling it in the port and nothing again. Also, checked the manual, called Land Rover and they confirm just works with data-only. So, everyone has a different experience, either the SIM card slot is busted or it's piss-poor integration. Probably won't bother anymore and just stick to my phone. I think I'll call the dealership to see what's going on when I come back to the UK, meanwhile I'll just cancel the SIM card.

Thanks,
RB

·
Registered
333 Posts
Just to ask the silly and obvious question...do you have the SIM the right way round?
From memory it went it the opposite way to how I thought it would.

Thanks Elpaulio, what other possible setting change would that be? I saw a video about that and the only settings I would potentially have to change...

View attachment 9012

Thanks,
RB
The settings I was referring to were on the iPad when setting it up. In the car it was just a case of changing the APN I think it was (my car is in the dealers just now so I can't physically check the settings).
Have a read through this post (1) Three Free 200mb SIM Data Cards - Install Instructions | Evoque Owners Club as it helped me a lot.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Bear in mind the instructions attachment above is for the FREE "3" sim that some have.
Ordinary data only 3 sims that you have paid for are simply plug and play.
Another common fault is putting the sim in and not pushing it in far enough until it clicks.
Fingernail or a 5p piece helps as it can be fiddly.

·
Registered
MY20 P300 HSE R-Dynamic
107 Posts
I have this from Vodafone

30GB Data SIM Plan - 12 months Data Plan - £22

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just to ask the silly and obvious question...do you have the SIM the right way round?
From memory it went it the opposite way to how I thought it would.

The settings I was referring to were on the iPad when setting it up. In the car it was just a case of changing the APN I think it was (my car is in the dealers just now so I can't physically check the settings).
Have a read through this post (1) Three Free 200mb SIM Data Cards - Install Instructions | Evoque Owners Club as it helped me a lot.
It's a fair question but yes I've inserted it the right way up, contacts facing up and square bit first, just like in the picture they have underneath. The problem is exactly what I said before, the "Reading SIM" message never leaves the screen and after a while, maybe a minute, it times out and goes to OFF again. Actually I think the UI is a bit different from the one in the link you shared, that one has a slider button, mine is ON and OFF but that should behave in the same way.

I have a feeling the reading component is broken, maybe it was misused before, I already sent an email to the dealership, they haven't replied yet. I think I'll have to use the phone :(.

And thanks for the link, I'll use it when I sort out the connectivity.

RB

1 - 17 of 17 Posts