Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Silicon Silver RR Evoque R Dynamic HSE P300
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently fitted a NextBase 422GW front cam and a Next Base rear cam to my2020 Evoque.
I dong think it needs a full debrief on how I did it as the process is very easy. However, I thought a couple of issues and how I resolved them.
Front Cam
I fitted the camera on the left side of the mirror. On the next base the power is connected on the right of the mount so it made a neater installation placed there
i routed the cable under the headlining and down the A post. No need to take off any trim the cable easily pushes under the headling Apost trim.
I then tucked it under the door seal and across under the glovebox.
I found a permanent live fuse (#25/10A instrument panel) and using a Micro2 piggy back tapped off. A word of caution regarding Micro2 fuses, they are relatively rare at the moment only used on a few cars. This means sourcing fuses can be challenging. I needed a 2Afuse for the nextbase butthe smallest Micro2 is 5A.
Those who don’t have a voltage regulated supply(that is a cutoff to protect the battery) then you need a ignition switched supply (fuse#12 and 26 are ideal)
For the earth I used the securing screw for the bottom of the glove box (note: the most obvious, The fuse panel mounting screws are not connected to the chassis).
Rear Cam
I looked at a mount on the rear window. However, the cable route cannot be easily hidden behind panelling and I didn’t want to use cable ties adhesive pads. There is also a need to have a large cable extension necessary to allow cable when the tailgate opens
I ended up making a bracket out of 18G ally folded at 90Deg, painted with a satin black paint then a 3M UHB tape placed on one end. The bracket was then slipped under the hatch opening seal and between the roof lining and roof itself. A press on the roof lung pushing the bracket and 3M tally hard against the roof sealing it to the surface. The hatch seal then nearly covers the bracket on completion
Pics attached
The cable to the front cam is then tucked under the roof lining to the front cam ( the next base is powered from the front cam)
Nice and simples and is pretty unobtrusive and doesn’t impact on visibility (I also have clearview👍)
Hope that helps someone
Russ

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
11,975 Posts
Looks very tidy (y)

·
Registered
124 Posts
I am going to have to fit my Nextbase dashcam to my forthcoming new 2020 RR Evoque First Edition.

Thanks for your summary, very useful, particularly about the fuses.

I already have the hardwire kit, but any additional photos of the route from the front down to the fusebox (and the fusebox whereabouts), would be very helpful.

Thanks

·
Registered
124 Posts
Also, did you have any concerns about the airbag that is marked on the diagonal windscreen pillars?

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
11,975 Posts
I fitted mine routing it the same. Tucked up the front of the headlining, across the top of the front screen pillar by prising it out a little (didn't take it off) then took the rubber door seal off and routed the cable down behind it. Then across to the fusebox behind the glovebox, Simple to do.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am going to have to fit my Nextbase dashcam to my forthcoming new 2020 RR Evoque First Edition.

Thanks for your summary, very useful, particularly about the fuses.

I already have the hardwire kit, but any additional photos of the route from the front down to the fusebox (and the fusebox whereabouts), would be very helpful.

Thanks
Will do, sort tomorrow

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, did you have any concerns about the airbag that is marked on the diagonal windscreen pillars?
You only need to lift the trim ever so slightly so no issues with airbags

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thanks - Any further photos or information to help, would be very much appreciated.

I'm no expert on these things, but I did fit the Nextbase dashcam and hardwire kit myself to my current car and its worked very well. I preferred to do it myself!

Please could you help me out and let me know what extra things I would need to connect the old standard Nextbase hardwire kit up to the fusebox of the RRE? I think from memory the kit normally needs a switched power supply (or one that definitely goes off when you turn the ignition off) and an earthing point. In my current car, I just used the piggy back adapter that came with the Nextbase kit I think and it worked fine.

Any thoughts on where I would obtain the missing bits I need? I've looked online, and I'm already confused!

·
Registered
Evoque MY20 First Edition in Seoul Pearl Silver
1,745 Posts

·
Registered
MY2017 2.0 HSE Dynamic Lux
316 Posts
Always good to see a nice neat job. I did exactly the same sort of install for my front dash cam but popped the A pillar trim off (only one screw) and cable tied the wire to the existing loom, so it doesn't interfere with the airbag.

·
Registered
MY20 P300e PHEV | Yulong White | R-Dynamic SE | Panoramic Roof | Clearsight | Driver Assist Pack
435 Posts
Nice to see, and great to see the process, fuse type and location explained for everyone to use and follow👌👌👌

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've bought a new Nextbase hardwire kit, so I'm guessing the supplied two Nextbase fuse tap piggyback adapters are not suitable for use with Micro2 on the RRE?

Do I need to source a new 2amp Micro2 fuse and a new Micro2 piggyback adapter? As you say I can locate a 5amp Micro 2 fuse, but not a 2amp.

Any help would be much appreciated in sourcing the correct items I'll need for installation into the passenger compartment.

I was thinking of using as you suggested, fuse #26 in the passenger compartment, which in the handbook indicates is the cigarette lighter switched accessory (20amp).

·
Registered
124 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
A quick phone call to Nextbase just now, and a new Micro 2 fuse adapter and suitable Micro2 fuse are on there way to me!

Nextbase are an excellent UK based company, whose customer service I've found absolutely exemplary.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A quick phone call to Nextbase just now, and a new Micro 2 fuse adapter and suitable Micro2 fuse are on there way to me!

Nextbase are an excellent UK based company, whose customer service I've found absolutely exemplary.
I totally agree- brilliant.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I said to them surely I need to pay for the fuse tap and fuse but they said no! They send them free!

I’m readying everything to do the install (when of course the new Evoque actually arrives).

Any further detail about how to get at the passenger fuse box, which reading the paper manual seems to be inside the car and the actual earthing point, would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I said to them surely I need to pay for the fuse tap and fuse but they said no! They send them free!

I’m readying everything to do the install (when of course the new Evoque actually arrives).

Any further detail about how to get at the passenger fuse box, which reading the paper manual seems to be inside the car and the actual earthing point, would be much appreciated.
Fuse panel is accessed by lying in the passenger foot well and undoing (by turning 90Deg) 2 clips. This releases a panel below the glove box approx 300x100. Behind this panel on the side of the centre console is the fuse panel.
Earthing- I used the fuse panel mounting points until I checked and realised they were not to chassis! I ended up usingthe screw fixing that attached the lower edge of the glove box. By crimping a 6mm ring terminal and sliding it between the metal bracket and the glove box plastic then refitting the screw a good solid earth is possible
HTH
Russ

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
With respect to the 2A fuse.
although NextBase has provided a 2A fuse what happens if it blows? They may send a replacement but it would be a week at least.
Here is a listing for 25 3A fuses (eBay 362831441119).
I don’t need 25, but if I bought them anyone want to have a share?
Russ

1 - 20 of 44 Posts