Evoque Owners Club banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
P300E MY22 Autobiography
6,204 Posts
I have a new Dash Cam with extended view angles. It uses the 12V socket.

Would you know if the 12v on the evoque, cuts power when the car is turned off? ( to prevent battery drain). How long until it stops providing power?
I wouldn't know but I think this thread all those years back was about hardwiring the dash cam in to the fuse box which I put pics up for ... was for a MY16 car that was my first car so it would be for yours if you want to follow that directions :)

Reactions: Jas225

·
Registered
MY2016 Evoque HSE Dynamic 2.0D
234 Posts
I have a new Dash Cam with extended view angles. It uses the 12V socket.

Would you know if the 12v on the evoque, cuts power when the car is turned off? ( to prevent battery drain). How long until it stops providing power?
The 12v accessory sockets shut down once the car is locked. The neatest solution is to piggyback one of the fuses to the sockets (52 or 53 from what I remember - check the fuse list in the owners handbook).

·
Registered
2017 SE Tech Auto Yulong White Black Pack Few Subtle Mods
381 Posts
When i hard wired mine to both the front and rear fuse boxes I just used my multi meter to find the ignition lives for power and used good earth's on both with no problems at all

·
Registered
HSE Dynamic 2.0 TD4 MY2018
14 Posts
I got Halfords to hardwire my front and rear Nextbase. For £55 that includes the hardwire kit that costs £25? No brainer, let them to fit them both for £30 whilst I go and canvass or go kilt shopping. Took the guy 2 hours to fit. £15 per hour 🥴. They'll even come to your house and fit for the same price. Can't see how they make a profit to be honest.

·
Registered
MY16 Evoque SE TECH TD4 fully loaded
127 Posts
Ok thanks, looks like the 12V does cut power when the car is locked. So not going to hardwire the new kit. But those links from the initial posts don't open their intended pages anymore.

I need to attach a red wire of the rear camera directly to the positive electrode of the reversing light.

Would anyone know where this positive electrode of the reversing light would be located?

·
Premium Member
P300E MY22 Autobiography
6,204 Posts
I will say my dash cam if it detects movement around the car turns itself on .. and that's hard wired ..

·
Administrator
3,122 Posts
Jas, how are you protecting your battery if you are going to feed it constantly?

The rear camera should just record all the time the front camera records, otherwise someone goes into the back of you you wont record it... or is that red wire a reverse switch, not the supply to the rear camera?

The only place you will find the rev light power is at the rear light unit itself.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I will say my dash cam if it detects movement around the car turns itself on .. and that's hard wired ..
Mine does that if I hardwire it, but I was afraid that if the car is off it would continue using the car's battery ?
Jas, how are you protecting your battery if you are going to feed it constantly?

The rear camera should just record all the time the front camera records, otherwise someone goes into the back of you you wont record it... or is that red wire a reverse switch, not the supply to the rear camera?

The only place you will find the rev light power is at the rear light unit itself.
Apologies, I should have mentioned that the new dash cam once plugged into the 12V port begins recording from the front and reverse cameras at the same time. Once the car is turned off, the dash cam turns itself off after 1 minute.

I assume the battery is being protected due to the car being on when the camera is also on thus the power draw would be coming from mostly from the car's alternator and in theory would not drain the battery.

Yes indeed, that red wire is I believe a reverse switch, not the power supply to the rear camera. The red wire is needing a connection to the positive connector of the reverse light, so that when I put the car into reverse, the reverse lines or guides show up on the dash cam ( to help assist in parking).

The issue is I do not know how to get to the reverse light positive connector to attach the red wire. I know it can be got to in the rear brake light assembly area, so the wires leading to the reverse bulb, but then what wire is it?

·
Registered
127 Posts
:giggle:
I got Halfords to hardwire my front and rear Nextbase. For £55 that includes the hardwire kit that costs £25? No brainer, let them to fit them both for £30 whilst I go and canvass or go kilt shopping. Took the guy 2 hours to fit. £15 per hour 🥴. They'll even come to your house and fit for the same price. Can't see how they make a profit to be honest.
I went there today in London, they did look super short staffed. Had to leave it in the end.

It was only to ask the red wire question, as I had already fitted the whole kit, with front, rear cameras and power outlet , just needing to attach one wire for the reverse guides/ hud ;).

·
Registered
2013 Evoque Coupe Dynamic 2.2 SD4 Auto
343 Posts
Just a heads-up on Nextbase hardwire kits - they come with an inbuilt minimum voltage limiter. If the dashcam is wired to permanent live, this is supposed to protect the battery from going flat.

·
Registered
MY2016 Evoque HSE Dynamic 2.0D
234 Posts
Looking at the wiring diagrams the reversing lights are switched through the BCM and are then fused through fuse 12 in the passenger compartment fuse box so the only way to connect to that supply would be a piggyback fuse there or tapping into the connector to one of the rear lights.

·
Registered
127 Posts
It is the top bulb (for the reverse light), but it has two black wires leading into it. Would anyone know which is the positive wire ?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
P300E MY22 Autobiography
6,204 Posts
sorry unless you want me to pick me one at random ... I've got a 50% chance of getting it right I haven't got a clue :(

·
Registered
MY21 P300e R-Dynamic SE, Fuji White, Duo Cloud leather, Pano roof, 20” 5079 Diamond Turned
115 Posts
It is the top bulb (for the reverse light), but it has two black wires leading into it. Would anyone know which is the positive wire ?
Put a meter on them both?

21 - 35 of 35 Posts