Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since about Feb this year, Jazz FM has been broadcasting on DAB again and my Pure DAB radios happily pick it up. Can't tune it in the Evoque but can in Mrs T's Toyota and it's been puzzling me, until I could be bothered to do much about it until today when it started bugging me. Found out it's because it broadcasts in the DAB+ standard.

Now, my Pure radios are pretty ancient but have had a few updates in their life. I am assuming that the LR DAB system isn't DAB+ compatible which for the cost of the upgraded Meridian system is atrocious. Whilst I can live without Jazz FM in the car it IS annoying that a £100 radio can happily receive a station but not the super duper Meridian thing. If this is the way stations are going because it's a more efficient standard, the JLR DAB system will be made redundant.

So JLR, are you going to bring out an update? Does the new InControl Touch and InControl Touch Pro have DAB+ capability as I cannot find anything that confirms it does. Which then appears that JLR are once again behind the technology curve.

·
Registered
2013 2.2 sd4 5dr santorini black
22 Posts
FYI Its a pretty easy upgrade, I’ve just replaced the dab module with a Dab+ module from a later model to my 2013 evoque, it works perfectly, all lost stations have now been restored 👌

The part numbers for the dab+ module I used and power supply connector adaptor are
CPLA-14F720-BP (module)
LR032814 (power connector adaptor)

·
Registered
21 Posts
FYI Its a pretty easy upgrade, I’ve just replaced the dab module with a Dab+ module from a later model to my 2013 evoque, it works perfectly, all lost stations have now been restored 👌

The part numbers for the dab+ module I used and power supply connector adaptor are
CPLA-14F720-BP (module)
Jonnybgud, Great post, thanks. After fitting the new dab+ module and connector, was there any software update required to the audio system?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Jonnybgud, Great post, thanks. After fitting the new dab+ module and connector, was there any software update required to the audio system?
No update required, just a rescan and all the channels come up in the channel list, I now have some 60+ channels

·
Registered
21 Posts
No update required, just a rescan and all the channels come up in the channel list, I now have some 60+ channels
Your post was first class - I keep myself fairly well-informed but had never heard of dab+ until reading your post. Now I understand why the wifie's Mini gets far more dab channels than my Evoque.
I accessed the dab receiver via the driver side cover trim this afternoon - this was the most time-consuming part as you need to remove the whole trim side (not just the ventilation hatch which is not removable) - plenty of spring clips, 2 x torq screws and 2 more torq screws holding the boot floor cargo rails.
Sure enough, the dab receiver was a 2011 model (see picture) and was only held in by 2 screws.

I've just ordered a dab+ receiver (part CPLA-14F720-BP) for £50 from ebay and adaptor lead LR032814 from Britcar at £12.

I'll let you know how I get on when the parts arrive.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes the side trim is a little fiddly but now you’ve done it once you could do it again in no time 👍 I have also posted on another thread about the upgrade and side panel removal

I’m glad to be able to help others out with a relatively cheap & easy upgrade as I’d read in the past that dealers have said it’s not possible 🤔 well LR don’t make the power connector adaptor lead for no reason do they

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes the side trim is a little fiddly but now you’ve done it once you could do it again in no time 👍 I have also posted on another thread about the upgrade and side panel removal

I’m glad to be able to help others out with a relatively cheap & easy upgrade as I’d read in the past that dealers have said it’s not possible 🤔 well LR don’t make the power connector adaptor lead for no reason do they
Good point about the lead! Just another question regarding the new dab+ unit; should I consider replacing the dab antenna/amplifier too? I note that the part number hasn't changed but the dab (dab not dab+) reception in my car has always been poor. I note from this forum that the part although really cheap on ebay, is not that easy to get at.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Funny you mention that was my reception was poor on the old module once I headed out of my town but with this new module it hasn’t dropped out once yet on my travels... which mates me think the tuners far better

·
Registered
21 Posts
Funny you mention that was my reception was poor on the old module once I headed out of my town but with this new module it hasn’t dropped out once yet on my travels... which mates me think the tuners far better
Makes sense - Mr Internet tells me that DAB+ uses an encoded AAC+ codec (like in your iPhone) that makes the audio sound up to 4 times more efficient than in DAB (which is used in the older MP2/MPEG audio format players) - hence DAB+ should work reliably with a much lower signal strength!

·
Registered
22 Posts
That’s another thing I noticed, it’s far better quality so that explains why 👏👍

·
Registered
4 Posts

CPLA-14F720-BP (module)
Hi Will this one do as upgrade 2016 LAND ROVER L494 RANGE ROVER SPORT DISCOVERY 4 DAB MODULE CPLA-14F720-BM | eBay

but i cant find the power connector adapter anywhere on line
Cheers Steve

·
Registered
22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Your post was first class - I keep myself fairly well-informed but had never heard of dab+ until reading your post. Now I understand why the wifie's Mini gets far more dab channels than my Evoque.
I accessed the dab receiver via the driver side cover trim this afternoon - this was the most time-consuming part as you need to remove the whole trim side (not just the ventilation hatch which is not removable) - plenty of spring clips, 2 x torq screws and 2 more torq screws holding the boot floor cargo rails.
Sure enough, the dab receiver was a 2011 model (see picture) and was only held in by 2 screws.

I've just ordered a dab+ receiver (part CPLA-14F720-BP) for £50 from ebay and adaptor lead LR032814 from Britcar at £12.

I'll let you know how I get on when the parts arrive.

Thanks
New parts arrived today (second-hand DAB+ unit and power lead adaptor)

Two mounting bolts and 3 plugs to swap over so only took minutes - see photo

Worked first time, no recoding required and over 30 DAB+ stations now available after auto-searching

Result!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
You could have had that done by JLR.

They would have, of course, had to charge £180 diagnostic fee, then Labour at £183 p/h then order new parts, which no doubt would have been the wrong ones, so they would have had to order more new parts. They would have then probably ”found new faults” with your system, causing more diagnostics & ordering of parts, then eventually fitting them all & probably doing totally unnecessary re-coding of every system in the car.

You could have had it completed by mid February, except now we‘re back in lockdown that would have been put back to April, and the total cost would have been in the region of @ £1000 (+ vat of course).

Cant understand why you did it yourself. 🤔

·
Registered
2013 SD4 Dynamic Lux
92 Posts
New parts arrived today (second-hand DAB+ unit and power lead adaptor)

Two mounting bolts and 3 plugs to swap over so only took minutes - see photo

Worked first time, no recoding required and over 30 DAB+ stations now available after auto-searching

Result!
Is it just the side panel that needs to come out but also the "floor" panel? Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts