Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
70 plate R Dynamic SE D240
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve had my D240 about a month now and I’ve noticed a few issues..

Does anyone else have a D240 and feels it’s incredibly laggy when setting off or at low speed? I feel it takes a good few seconds to acknowledge that I’ve pressed the accelerator and then it shoots off.

My next issue is the braking, it’s not smooth at all, whenever I brake its almost like it judders forward and if I have passengers they are moving forward in their seat even if I press it extremely lightly.

It isn’t a smooth drive at all, we have a RR Sport and although a different engine, the whole drive is different and very smooth when braking.

I’ve never experienced such a poor drive in any other car I’ve owned and I’m disappointed that a premium car would feel like this.

Does anyone else have similar issues or is it just me?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
My D180 is similar. I’ve already had it back twice about the lag after pressing the accelerator, they have re set the gearbox twice and updated the transmission software, but it’s still the same.
The answer I got was “they do that - the gearbox has a lot to sort out when you’re braking or slowing down, so when you then accelerate it takes a short while for it to sort itself out”.
I was told that the sudden slowing when braking is due to the energy recovery, so again basically that’s what they do.
I only ever test drove a couple of cars before getting mine, and I can’t remember either of them being that bad.

·
Registered
70 plate R Dynamic SE D240
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My D180 is similar. I’ve already had it back twice about the lag after pressing the accelerator, they have re set the gearbox twice and updated the transmission software, but it’s still the same.
The answer I got was “they do that - the gearbox has a lot to sort out when you’re braking or slowing down, so when you then accelerate it takes a short while for it to sort itself out”.
I was told that the sudden slowing when braking is due to the energy recovery, so again basically that’s what they do.
I only ever test drove a couple of cars before getting mine, and I can’t remember either of them being that bad.
It’s unbelievable that Land Rover think it’s acceptable to have such lag on their engines 🙄 as I said I’ve never had this problem with any other car and I’m really disappointed. The outside of the car looks great but the drive and cheapness of the inside is extremely disappointing and I won’t get another Evoque again.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I have the 240 and it has no lag at all that I’ve noticed, it did have a bit of judder from the front brakes but I’ve since renewed the discs and pads all round but not driven it yet due to still being overseas but my wife is a pretty good driver and tends to notice when there’s an issue and hasn’t mentioned anything.

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
13,371 Posts
Try it in sport mode. Much less lag

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
13,371 Posts
You could also try this'

·
Registered
MY20.5 Range Rover Evoque (L551) First Edition P250 in Nolita Grey on a 70 plate
685 Posts
When I first got my new P250 (with 7 miles on the clock), I found the gear selection was all over the place - constantly changing gear when it didn't need to. Then after about 500 miles of driving, it seemed to settle back to the correct gear changes to match my driving. I think it learns the driving style.

Sport mode is very easy to switch into and makes everything quite responsive.

The initial gearbox changes and take off lag have been picked up on many of the Evoque reviews as I recall, but I wondered if this was because they expected the demo car to immediately know their style of driving and it does seem to improve over time.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I found my P250 really sluggish when new plus it was very thirst. I was told it would be better after 1000 miles or so and it has got a lot better. I would give it a couple of thousand mikes and also use sport mode as mentione. i always use S - it can never be described as quick off the mark but it is better than when new

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I think you may have the combination of normal
turbo lag and the well renown 9SP gearbox dementia hesitation, and you’re also comparing it to a much more refined RRS.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Gave it a go in sports today, other than holding the gears longer before changes, it was exactly the same as far as lag goes when accelerating away from braking down to slow speeds such as for tight corners. Foot on accelerator for almost 1-2 seconds before it seems to engage clutch and start to pull away.
The automatic thing to do of course is to put your foot down further, but then when it does engage gear, it shoots off making it difficult to take the corner. This is definitely my least favourite feature of my RRE.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I find that pretty strange as the MHEV torque boost should cover that.
Maybe it's the diesel engine but on mine it takes off like a scalded cat (if necessary) in normal drive and comfort mode.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I think you may have the combination of normal
turbo lag and the well renown 9SP gearbox dementia hesitation, and you’re also comparing it to a much more refined RRS.
I had a RRS for six years and it always had a bit of lag to start. I used to put left fut on brake and rev the car a little with the right foot especially when at roundabouts so I didn’t get lag when I needed to move quickly. Not the best thing I know but it worked.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I get it on every corner, but one turn I take very regularly is particularly bad.
It’s a 90 degree turn off a main road which goes immediately up a steep hill. So braking down to turn then pressing the accelerator half way round the turn, the car revs but nothing happens, then it finds a gear and accelerates away, but if you put your foot down a bit more cos nothing is happening, it shoots off when it finds the gear with the steering almost on full left lock which can be tricky to control.
maybe they are all like that as the garage told me, but I just don’t remember the ones I test drove felling like that.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I get it on every corner, but one turn I take very regularly is particularly bad.
It’s a 90 degree turn off a main road which goes immediately up a steep hill. So braking down to turn then pressing the accelerator half way round the turn, the car revs but nothing happens, then it finds a gear and accelerates away, but if you put your foot down a bit more cos nothing is happening, it shoots off when it finds the gear with the steering almost on full left lock which can be tricky to control.
maybe they are all like that as the garage told me, but I just don’t remember the ones I test drove felling like that.
@DKZ5745 ...sounds like that could be a bit of ‘torque vectoring’ taking control. It used to kill my X3 on roundabouts if I went in a little heavy and the surface was tadge slippery or the camber was slightly angled more than normal.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts