Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Evoque with Tech pack 2017 low miles
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Gone for a CTEK 5 charger as really not doing enough decent runs to fully charge battery
So followed advice of my Independent and those on this Forum and bought one
Can anyone suggest how long to leave it on and how often to use it
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
13,248 Posts
They're designed to be left on for as long as you like. Just plug it in when you're not using the car and leave it.

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
2,734 Posts
Over winter/lockdown I've just been using it once a month to keep things going on my old battery.
Seems to be doing the trick. Just for plugging it in for half a day.
As XZ4 mentions you can leave a CTEK connected all the time if needed.

@monet208 It's worth updating your forum profile with your RRE year and spec so people can see what you have :)

·
Registered
2018 HSE DYN LUX 290A Black Pack
57 Posts
You have to understand what these "conditioners" do. They are not 'chargers' as one knows it.
They monitor and maintain battery health or condition. They break down deposits on the plates to optimsee as full a charge as possible. they trickle a small current into the battery over a long period to maintain a healthy charge level.
They are designed to stay attached to the battery for as long as possible. This is why classic car enthusiasts (me!) leave them on over the winter to ensure my car(s) are fresh to go when the spring arrives.
If you take a look at the lighting sequence on the conditioner, ity changes eaxh time you look at it (over days- not hours!). That means it is cycling the charge inside the battery.
Fit and forget!

4WD

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Like 4WD, I leave my Evoque (and my classic cars) permanently on 'charge' with CTEKs when the cars are not in use, which in the current climate (Covid and weather!), is most of the time!!(n)(n)(n).
They aren't like the conventional (old fashioned!) chargers, as 4WD says, they are battery conditioners which need to be attached to the battery for a reasonable length of time for them to be effective and improve your battery's health/life.

·
Registered
Evoque with Tech pack 2017 low miles
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi
I put it on yesterday for about 6 hours and the indicators said charged but did not go onto the final Pulse setting
Took it off before bed as cautious older!
Back on this am as low battery start engine on display
So will leave it on for at least 24 hours OR MORE????????
If I still get the low battery start engine message does this suggest my battery is knackered?
The car is only 4 years old and apart from a couple of 1/2 hour runs since December has only been used locally 3/4 times a week
Thanks all for comments

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'd say you should leave the conditioner plugged in until you next use the car. I had such a device attached to my little used MG TF for almost 15 years before I decided to get a new battery. Even then, the old battery would probably have been usable in regular use. I have the conditioner permanently wired to the battery under the TF's front bonnet. When I use the car, I unplug the conditioner, and tuck the wiring under the bonnet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts