like you have just run over a plastic bottle and last for the same duration,
had it about 10 times now and it happens just as you come to a stop. During
normal driving there isn't a sound, just after a journey and you're lining up
to reverse into a garage or space.

Anyone else had a similar problem?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi David, exact same problem, on same model SD4 Manual.

Went back to dealer and guess what he could not get it to make the sound, so still makes the noise intermittently, i did think it may have had something to do with the brakes staying on.

I would go to the dealers and see what they say

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi

Thanks for the replies, it's not just mine then.

I don't think it is the brakes as I have managed to get it to happen when I wasnt even touching the brake pedal. It always happens when I get to work, this is after a 20 min run and I go to back into a parking bay. Back up a little - no problem, then when I pull forward a little to get straightened up, as the forward momentum comes to a stop the crunch happens. I can then pull backwards and forwards til I am blue in the face and it wont do it again.

Any of this sound familier to you 2 guys. I think I am going to ring Range Rover first before taking it to a dealer as I don't have much confidence in mine!

Cheers

David

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi Guys
My better half mentioned a noise very similar to that you describe - like running over a plastic bottle after pulling out of a junction the other day. Prestige SD4 Auto.

She said it sounded like it was coming from the rear of the car. I havent heard anything yet but will keep an ear open.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just an update with the crunching noise...... Still happening but maybe a little less. Travelling to and from work every day it only does it when I am reversing into a space at work but not when reversing into thegarage on the night.

I still haven't contacted the dealer about it as I know they will have it in and out in and out without finding a fault and it will drive me mad!

Anyone else got an update on their situation?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm also having the same issue and decided to leave my rr with farnell Leeds to see if the can locate the problem

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi Darren
My car came from Farnell Guisley and not Leeds - but let me know what they say. I havent heard it at all since the single report but would be interested in their diagnosis in case we decide to take ours back to the same dealer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, I took delivery of my Prestige Sd4 auto yesterday and it sounds like I have similar braking noise problem described in this thread. Anyone any closer to establishing root cause? Thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
Looks like this is related to the brakes sticking on, pulled into a lay-by today came to rest using the foot brake only, took my foot off the brake to let the car roll forward, after about 3-4 seconds the brakes released and the car started to move.

I had several attempts at doing this with the same results but with no noise, after 3 minutes all returned to normal with no sticking brakes, at no time did I touch the Electric HB, however further down the road i pulled in to park, applied the foot brake, selected reverse got the crunching noise with some resistance which felt like the brakes were stuck on, and then realeased after a couple of seconds.

Will speak to the service manager next week to see what can be done.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi all i maybe wrong in saying this so apologies if this is the case, i was thinking it could be hill start assist only 3% up-hill or down-hill for this to work also when you brake to come to a complete stop. this system engages automatically then acts to hold the car stationary for two or three seconds after the brake is released giving the driver time to apply the throttle. Just a stab in the dark, I hope it's a quick fix for use

·
Registered
21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mr Bear said:
Hi all i maybe wrong in saying this so apologies if this is the case, i was thinking it could be hill start assist only 3% up-hill or down-hill for this to work also when you brake to come to a complete stop. this system engages automatically then acts to hold the car stationary for two or three seconds after the brake is released giving the driver time to apply the throttle. Just a stab in the dark, I hope it's a quick fix for use
Thanks, it could be just that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Got exact same issue I'm taking it back to dealer Friday 20th booked in for a number of problems! Including missing washer water indication, interior lights don't come on when doors open!

1 - 20 of 69 Posts