Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Range Rover Evoque Dynamic Lux 2.0 5dr 2013
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed a crack in my windscreen and am looking to get it replaced. I'm with esure and wonder if anyone has any experience of getting a OEM windscreen with them or any advise. From what i can tell reading my insurance they just quote it will be £100 excess as long as i use autoglass but doesn't say anything about a max price or OEM screens.

Any help would be great

Thanks

·
Registered
Dynamic 3 door, 2013, SD4, santorini black with pimento and ebony
203 Posts
Hi, I have a relative in the trade, I believe there are only two manufacturers in the UK, but quite a lot in China. Any of the UK ones are fine as they supply manufacturers directly, but the Chinese ones can be copies of copies and have variable fit. Best bet is to contact a local company. (Many are affiliated to a large brand), and speak to them. Tell them who your insurance is and ask what options there are.
Most companies just pay the fitters for the windscreen and you pay for the call out and fitting hence the £100 fee. I had them fit a genuine Mercedes one to my other car as I wanted to retain the original make and ‘Gottleib Daimler’ signature on the glass so it can be done.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I think if the insurers specify Autoglass, if you don’t use them they won’t pay towards the repair. You could contact autoglass direct before hand, and ask them what they would be fitting. If you are not happy with what they tell you, you would have to discuss it with your insurers, but they tend to be quite rigid with these things as they have contractual agreements with certain companies.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, I have a relative in the trade, I believe there are only two manufacturers in the UK, but quite a lot in China. Any of the UK ones are fine as they supply manufacturers directly, but the Chinese ones can be copies of copies and have variable fit. Best bet is to contact a local company. (Many are affiliated to a large brand), and speak to them. Tell them who your insurance is and ask what options there are.
Most companies just pay the fitters for the windscreen and you pay for the call out and fitting hence the £100 fee. I had them fit a genuine Mercedes one to my other car as I wanted to retain the original make and ‘Gottleib Daimler’ signature on the glass so it can be done.

lovely thank you

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think if the insurers specify Autoglass, if you don’t use them they won’t pay towards the repair. You could contact autoglass direct before hand, and ask them what they would be fitting. If you are not happy with what they tell you, you would have to discuss it with your insurers, but they tend to be quite rigid with these things as they have contractual agreements with certain companies.
yeah thats the thing is they only say it has to be autoglass for them to pay for it but doesn't say anything about a price limit. I emailed autoglass last night and asked for a quote for a OEM screen to see what they say

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Autoglass have had some very positive reviews on other forums and I haven't heard of any issues.
I haven't heard of them fitting any substandard screens either.
Generally people are very happy with them including the recalibration service for the forward facing cameras on later models which they now do as part of the installation.

Reactions: steveo86

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
12,595 Posts
Auto glass fitted a new screen in my F Type last year. Same manufacturer as the OE screen but without the jag logo on it. Did it outside my work and were great. Would use them again.

Reactions: Binty and PhilB

·
Registered
Dynamic 3 door, 2013, SD4, santorini black with pimento and ebony
203 Posts
Hi, I thought this practice was illegal under block exemption rules, same as being required to use the insurers body shop or having services done at only at main dealers to preserve warranty?
They can impose limits and different excess though, mine is £75 xs with their approved windscreen company and £100 with anyone else, my dads has a £250 limit of you use a non-approved repairer. No limit on an approved one.
I would make a few calls to different repairers including Autoglass and see what they offer, after all it is them that claim it directly from the insurance company, you just part with the XS.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So my mistake. They said if you use auto glass they will pay for the replacement and you just pay whatever the excess is on your policy which I couldn’t see so will need to look at that. It also says that if you use someone other than auto glass they may only pay £100 towards the costs. I’ve attached the picture of the policy booklet

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Auto glass fitted a new screen in my F Type last year. Same manufacturer as the OE screen but without the jag logo on it. Did it outside my work and were great. Would use them again.
i wouldn’t question autoglass’ work I’m sure they are very good at what they do. I’ve only had the car a few weeks now and am just sad that I’d lose the Range Rover logo on the windscreen already lol. It’s back at the dealers today to get a hood latch switch changed and also the steering wheel controls changed as they was playing up. I did tell them about the chip and crack in the windscreen when I picked it up and they are going to have a look so I’m hoping they will cover it for me

·
Registered
2012 SD4 Dynamic Lux
1,544 Posts
I’ve had Auto glass replace the screen in mine. I insisted on an OE one. Just tell them you've insured a Range Rover and you want a Range Rover Screen. They will umm and arr but they will give you one if you insist. My wife used to work for a windscreen company and they will do it. Insist!

Look here. Grrrr. Broken screen!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
booked in with autoglass on friday. couldn't get through on the phone so i just booked online. They have said that it couldn't be done at home or work as it needs to be done at one of their centres because of the type of car??? luckily out of the 3 centres the 2 closest ones wasn't available till mid december and one a bit further away in north london had a opening this friday so i took that. anything i should check once the screen is replaced? i'm guessing just that the heated front screen and rain sensor works not sure if there is anything else

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
2,333 Posts
Might be worth searching for previous posts to pick up any tips?

I would take some photos of things inside and out. I think previously someone had issues with trim around mirror/sensors and wanted to compare other's install.

Reactions: steveo86

·
Registered
2020 D150S manual
36 Posts
Hi,
Just check with them how much fuel it requires in tank?
Because when i had my Nissan windscreen replaced last year
tank had to be full to make sure lane assist and traffic sign camera was calibrated correctly!!

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
2,333 Posts
@steveo86 how did things go?
Always nice to bring a thread to conclusion :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@steveo86 how did things go?
Always nice to bring a thread to conclusion :)
I mean it went ok. They used a Shatterprufe windscreen which seems to be ok. i'd have preferred to get a OEM one but didnt have the time to argue to get one and then wait for a fitting date. Not sure why it could only be done at a centre it was a little hut in the middle of a shopping car park.

I will say though quite disappointed in how the car was given back. I needed to leave instantly to avoid rush hour traffic which would have had me stuck for a few hours but when i got home and actually looked inside properly there was glass in there and my screen wasn't even broken when i gave it to them but generally just the amount of rubbish and crap left in there was pretty bad, didn't even look like they had given it a quick once over with the hoover

1 - 16 of 16 Posts