Evoque Owners Club banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all!
We came back from a week in Spain last night, picked our car up from the parking compound and as we drove away we could hear a metallic rattling when going over bumps!
Car was perfectly fine when we dropped it off.
Took it back to the parking compound where one of the very helpful guys there had a look and presented me with a small piece of my OSF coil spring!
No more rattle, but another extended warranty claim I'll be submitting.
The spring must just have gone whilst being parked up!?

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
Check your incontrol app to see if they've been rallying around in it

·
Registered
Dynamic 3 door, 2013, SD4, santorini black with pimento and ebony
1,025 Posts
That is interesting as they do not just fail they snap when they hit a bump or something hard. It may have been previously cracked and come lose but most likely it has just occurred.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is interesting as they do not just fail they snap when they hit a bump or something hard. It may have been previously cracked and come lose but most likely it has just occurred.
Unless it was the speed bump on the way out of the compound? Saying that I would've been doing 5mph max??

·
Registered
MY20. Evoque R-Dynamic HSE D240 - Seoul Pearl Silver
4 Posts
When the spring coil went last year on my previous Evoque, which was a MY16, there was no warning. Parked on the drive with no rattles. Next morning went down the drive and heard rattling sound, thought something was loose in the door pocket, next thing clunking metallic noise and a part of the coil was on the road. Apparently can break but not separate straight away.
Had an estate car in at the local garage for some brake overhaul and waited whilst they put it on the ramps to have a look. The mechanic showed me one of the rear coils, which was broken at the top and said it would only take driving over the next bump in the road for it to fall off.

·
Registered
2017 SE Tech Auto Yulong White Black Pack Few Subtle Mods
1,051 Posts
Had this happen to us fortunately not
( yet ) on the Evoque but the wife's Scirocco I put it down to potholes speed humps etc as we live next to a school we have both in abundance.
But as said I'd be checking the journey info on the app or own tracker if fitted 🤔

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
Last time I snapped a coild spring I repaired it

Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Gas Auto part Shock absorber

·
Registered
2017 SE Tech Auto Yulong White Black Pack Few Subtle Mods
1,051 Posts
@Doink Very professional repair did toy use to work at Kwik Fit 🤣🤣🤣

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
Yes I did ha ha! Nah this was just a google pic - I never do owt like that, not now anyway!

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
An pinhole repair in my exhaust I carried out once, couldn't wait for JLR to get a new one

Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting

Reactions: XZ4

·
Registered
Dynamic 3 door, 2013, SD4, santorini black with pimento and ebony
1,025 Posts
An pinhole repair in my exhaust I carried out once, couldn't wait for JLR to get a new one

View attachment 13473
Don't laugh I have done that repair on more than one car, this is not a good job though, needed gungum liberally applying before the plate is fixed on, pop rivets and an aluminium plate for longevity. The repairs actually outlived the cars which probably says more about the standard of my old cars than the quality of the repair. ;)

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Reminds me when I was a youngster used to sleeve broken exhaust pipes with the appropriate size vegetable tin gun gum and exhaust clamps whilst getting replacement part. Oh, happy days of youth

Reactions: rawpilot and XZ4

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
14,711 Posts
Reminds me when I was a youngster used to sleeve broken exhaust pipes with the appropriate size vegetable tin gun gum and exhaust clamps whilst getting replacement part. Oh, happy days of youth
Burnt hands trying to squeeze the water out of the bandage while it dreid and hardened

·
Registered
MY2016 Evoque Autobiography 2.0L DIESEL 5 DOOR / L538
482 Posts
Likewise. It was always baked bean tins for me. I went through a lot of beans to patch my exhausts up.:oops:

·
Administrator
3,301 Posts
Yep My Mazda was quoted £450 for a new exhaust.. I asked can I have a look at it.. a Bracket had broken off, Can you weld?.. Oooh no, I took it away, jubilee clip round the exhaust and bracket, was good for another 5 years and sold it still going fine.

I remember it went to a dealer once and they said the exhaust has a clamp round it... Yeah, and?...

Re the spring, it's not unusual... esp with all the blooming Pot holes, just done one on our Volvo.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts