Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2013, Evoque SD4 - Firenza Red - Dynamic, 5dr Auto
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening guys, so I’ve had the car a week now, and I must say, I’m really enjoying it. I am noticing a difference in fuel consumption against my previous car, and wondered what options I have in maximising both the performance, but probably more so, the economy. I imagine they’ll be pros and cons for both, but I’d be interested in your general views on which is best? Technically, and mechanically I know nothing about cars but am keen to learn. I’d be really interested in what you all think.
Thanks in advance 👍

·
Registered
2012, 2.2td, 3 dr Dynamic. 240bhp, 20 in alloys, wing backs, side steps, tinted windows and lights.
126 Posts
Remapping will always be better than a tunning box. The reason being that an ECU remap will be designed to run via the ECU where as a tunning box will manipulate an ECU to changing settings such as fueling etc.

If you get an ECU remap it can be detected by the service team and they might wipe it clear and would re cost for a refresh.

A tunning box can be removed at any time, is generally cheaper and can be removed and some money recouped on sale. They are generally cheaper just get a decent model.

Just my opinion. I run a tunning box and it gets around 240bhp and better fuel economy.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi mate, and thanks for the reply. Just to check, you say that a re map is better? Most of the benefits you state are for the tuning box. Is one more harmful to the engine than the other? Thanks again

·
Registered
2012, 2.2td, 3 dr Dynamic. 240bhp, 20 in alloys, wing backs, side steps, tinted windows and lights.
126 Posts
Yeah a re map is the better option of the two. Just more expensive and not able to remove it from and car and sell on.

A tunning box is still not a cheap option if you get a decent one. I was lucky and picked up a tunning box on ebay for £40. This take the car from 190 to around 240bhp.Better fuel economy and more power.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I‘m sure I saw you on the telly yesterday? Can’t for the life in me remember what it was on now, just walked into the room & by chance you were there, then I was distracted & when I looked back you were gone 😱

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah a re map is the better option of the two. Just more expensive and not able to remove it from and car and sell on.

A tunning box is still not a cheap option if you get a decent one. I was lucky and picked up a tunning box on ebay for £40. This take the car from 190 to around 240bhp.Better fuel economy and more power.
Thank is mate. I’ll definitely look into it further. There’s a place near me that states that his re map will increase to 210bhp and 460 torque for £249. Does this sound reas

·
Registered
MY20 P300e PHEV | Yulong White | R-Dynamic SE | Panoramic Roof | Clearsight | Driver Assist Pack
847 Posts
Forget Mapping and Chips...just buy a car with a bigger engine...saying that I did remap a 5.7Ltr Hemi 😂

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thank is mate. I’ll definitely look into it further. There’s a place near me that states that his re map will increase to 210bhp and 460 torque for £249. Does this sound reas
Nah, £250 for 20bhp. I'm sure you'd get a chip for 240bhp for a DTUK box or similar.

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
12,257 Posts
Reactions: Bazandbeanz

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool, thank you for the link XZ4. Have you used these chips?

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
12,257 Posts
Fitted one of them on my previous van and it made quite a difference to the low down torque. Fuel consumption improved too.

·
Registered
126 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah makes good sense. I think I’ll treat myself. I’ll let you know how it goes 😬
I looks like it’s something I could fit myself?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yeah makes good sense. I think I’ll treat myself. I’ll let you know how it goes 😬
I looks like it’s something I could fit myself?
Easy peasy to fit mate with limited DIY knowledge.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I fitted a tuning box to my previous BMW M135i, I tried two TMC then switched to JB4 because it had switchable maps. This was all before you were able to flash your car using MHD. I didn't see any improvement in economy but it did turn it in to a rocket ship with about 400bhp.

I see TMC do one for the Evoque.

Reactions: ukcommander

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Blimey, that’s quick! Thanks for the tips guys.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I’ve just bitten the bullet and ordered my chip 😬 I’ll let you know how it goes!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been a long time lurker on here and thought I'd explain a bit about these tuning boxes.

All they do is make the ECU think the fuel pressure and boost pressure is low by falsifying signals to the engine from the sensors. The ECU then responds by turning the pressures up and forcing more fuel into the engine.

I very highly doubt a "Tuning Box" can take this 180hp to 240hp at all. You'd be running hugely excessive boost and fuel rail pressures to achieve that.

Most of the MPG improvement claims come from the ECU thinking it's injecting less than it actually is as well due to the falsified fuel pressure readings.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Anyone point me in the direction of the common rail sensor 😬😂

1 - 20 of 29 Posts