Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
My first post here as I got tired looking for info on internet and calling dealers...
Problem is... just suddenly no more chimes when turning, seat belt off while driving, lights on when ignition off and door open..etc
Very very rare I can hear weak wheezing instead, but most times its dead.
Anyone knows where the chime speaker is located? Attached to instrument cluster? Any disassembly diagram for it?
Its definitely not under cover which is just below the mirror on dashboard...
thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
You didn't say what Model Year your Evoque is. I found the following in the service manual for MY2011 through MY2014:

"The majority of messages are generated by the cluster which monitors system status via the bus systems and displays system information messages as requested by the controlling module. Other system control modules are also capable of generating messages to display system status. Some messages are accompanied by a chime, which is requested by the control module generating the message and generated by the instrument cluster via the sounder, which is located on the
back of the cluster."

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks rsquared! next question is if someone removed the instrument cluster before and can share steps, docs?
Mine is MY13 ED4

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Hi Welcome to the forum.
I can't help directly with an Evoque but I watched this video the other week - changing instrument cluster in a RR Sport so should give an idea how they are put together. Let us know how you get on - take photos! :)

EDIT
I haven't watched it but here's an Evoque:

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Welcome to the forum, I was going to say "Chimeona virus perhaps" Decided it was not very helpful though.;)

Sounds like it could be something simple like a speaker gone a bit duff. Best of luck getting cluster out. (y)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
update good and bad news. good one - I managed to remove the cluster, its a simple process. bad one: I have to replace the whole cluster in order to fix chime speaker issue. I made a few pictures, not video, but I promise that I will make one at the time I have a new cluster to swap with.
In details: I used a table knife wrapped in cling film to pry the plastic. Just two places each side as seen in pictures then just pull it sharply. Steering wheel in lowest position, unclipped top cover of it then whole thing removed under right angle.

See the location of clips

Undo two screws and one screw on top of visor

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
continue due to attachments limit

ata
then whole cluster is removable. remember there is data bust attached to the back, you can turn the cluster without removing and using built into connector leaver - remove the plug.

Cluster disassembly involves unclipping quite a few clips, two screws to be removed to dismount the visor, but then it comes to the point where uncliping the white clips still not letting to get to PCB itself, I think you suppose to remove actual arrows but I wont risk it. Chime speaker can be seen as soldered to PCB..I just pressed it few times to make a better connection. Then I called few part dealers here in Ireland and all of them said the speaker is not a serviceable part , and overall you suppose to replace the whole cluster for this and other issues like with LCD, etc.

So ... I put everything back , chime still not working... New cluster is almost 1.5K euro, on ebay I saw some new ones for 300 british pounds , used for 150 euro, but used ones needs to reprogrammed, right? So I am waiting for NCT (national car test ) test in june, and if they insist I need to fix it - I will buy another cluster and will make a complete video of its replacement :|)
hope this info helps someone!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Oh maaan, you were so close! That back cover has to be removable as the front is white. The PCB is probably stuck to the back of the white face so you shouldn't need to remove the needles. Just gotta get the back off. Probably all those white clips?

Also if you do end up needing to replace it then you haven't got anything to lose even by cutting off a section of the back as it's scrap if you don't. The speaker will be pennies if you are decent with a soldering iron. (y)

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Good shout Cap'n. Worth it as a shot to nothing. (y) (y)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Re... 'I think you suppose to remove actual arrows but I wont risk it'

They are called 'Needle's' They come off quite easy by just slipping that knife you used earlier under the needle and twist the knife to put an upwards force to the needle and it should come off, they are normally an 'interference fit' and will just push back on.

I would think the unit you are left with clips together like a lot of electronics modules.

I think you could find the problem is Not the speaker but the electronics driver for it.

A speaker contains a coil of wire which is the only electrical part to go wrong, to check you would have to remove it from the PCB and check it's resistance with an ohm meter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts