Evoque Owners Club banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
12,152 Posts
Our TomMort seems a little hot headed!!!

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
I noticed b&q are doing a discount on Karcher ... 25% off .... Might help cleaning it after your off roading?

·
Registered
12,152 Posts
Off roading is for doing in someone else's car--Not mine at best part of £50,000

Reactions: XZ4

·
Registered
171 Posts
This makes me laugh, you all have a LAndRover and don't get it dirty. My last Solihul products before the Evoque were a D3, purchased at 4 months old and then within 6 weeks we had a boys trip and drove it to Morocco for 2 weeks and threw it around the Sahara, sold that and purchased a brand new Defender 110, collected that the day after I returned from Afghan and within 2 weeks I was driving it around Croatia.
I don't buy something this expensive and capable to let it sit on the drive.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Thanks a lot, I wish I read it before buying.
They were like 25% more expensive, but that was not much overall.
They are not fully ceramic, but with a ceramic substance, so I hope they are not that bad in dirt, with regular discs.
Tomorrow they are put on, and I will be able to judge that myself.
Their purpose is to avoid / reduce breakpad deposits on the rims.
Cheers
T.

If the pads are hard, they will eat your disks for breakfast. Your disks and pads are matched to give a good braking effect and a long life. Change either without changing the other will possibly cause you problems

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
If the pads are hard, they will eat your disks for breakfast. Your disks and pads are matched to give a good braking effect and a long life. Change either without changing the other will possibly cause you problems
Yeah, true.
The whole set gets installed tomorrow . Front and back .
The disks are brand new, and they are from the same vendor : ATE.
They generally recommend this set up over regular pads.
But they do not recommend any notched or perforated disks with them , due to a noise.
These are little product comments from them.
T.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Our TomMort seems a little hot headed!!!
Maybe I am, or am not good at joking , and I seem to be.

I noticed b&q are doing a discount on Karcher ... 25% off .... Might help cleaning it after your off roading?
So you Donna look a bit tempted, see? Fresh air, pushing the car... starting to catch you.

·
Registered
12,152 Posts
Didn't say mine never got dirty, just not throwing it sideways down a ravine just because I can-in a situation I rely on it to get me out of trouble-couple of times over very rough ground at the channel tunnel when faced with groups of wanna be immigrants! it works well there well enough-has never let me down-to me it's a bit like a speed limit, its a limit not a target!

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
Maybe I am, or am not good at joking , and I seem to be.

So you Donna look a bit tempted, see? Fresh air, pushing the car... starting to catch you.
Lol I’d rather throw shite at the moon than get my car dirty unnecessarily ?

·
Registered
12,152 Posts
That's right Donna, you just sit on the fence!

Couldn't agree more-love the phrase though, mind if I use it?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Lol I’d rather throw shite at the moon than get my car dirty unnecessarily ?
****, I need to learn those English idioms more .. :)

Btw. The 4* words have allways been the "d" word", not the "f" word.

T.

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
That's right Donna, you just sit on the fence!

Couldn't agree more-love the phrase though, mind if I use it?
Never sit on the fence Maffy too many people driving through the fields splashing you!

Reactions: Maffy

·
Registered
12,152 Posts
Certainly in Calais !!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
****, I need to learn those English idioms more .. :)

Btw. The 4* words have allways been the "d" word", not the "f" word

Not in Scotland we make it up as we go along and our spelling varies too .....you ken?

·
Premium Member
10,626 Posts
I was waiting for that retort "Wee Lassie".

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Here is a quick video of my first time in Morocco, my codriver filmed it so not a lot of the D3 in film but there are a few moments of me.
That's a good one, Mark .

And Evoque's should be able to make it too. Althought D3 seems superior.

·
Registered
585 Posts
The D3 and 4 are 'floating' armchairs!
Totally competent on or off road. Their advantage is the air suspension and being able to raise it to stop grounding.
There are some who say they are better off road than a full fat RR. That is one for the pub!
The auto Evoque is totally competent, as the 9 speed auto box 1st gear is effectively low range.
It's let down is the ground clearance.
The electronics will get you out of a muddy field as long as it doesn't sink in up to its underbelly!
Eastnor Castle, where Land Rover have one of their 'off road Experience' centres has plenty of tricky tracks!
The Evoque will do all the ones that don't need raised suspension, believe me!
Given that the full fat RRs they have are all on road tyres and will do everything, they are incredible vehicles and it is a travesty that so many have never been on a a grass verge let alone a field!

Story time warning!

I went to a Land Rover show at Eastnor Castle in my Disco 3 some years ago. For some very strange reason it was clean, please don't ask!
The lady sorting out the parking asked if I anted to be on the flat hard standing as it was clean! I said I wasn't bothered, so was directed to the grassy bank with all the other Defenders and dirty D3s!
After a day of sun showers, thunderstorms x2 at around 4pm my legs had had enough so I trouped beck to the car on the now VERY muddy grassy slope!
A chap was doing the same and his Defender was next to mine and he very kindly offered to go first and wait at the top of the hill in case I got stuck. He had pretty good off road tyres by the way.
Off he went and with a little bit of wheel slip got to the top. I was on Grabber AT2s, not really off road but a good tyre on grass, and so I started the car, put it into Drive and pressed the accelerator. 15 seconds later I was next to his Defender!
He had watched the whole thing and was simply amazed that he hadn't seen one wheel slip, the miracle of electronics, as I had forgotten to select Mud and Snow in the traction control!!
If you are never going to drive off road get a X3 or X5 BMW, lovely cars to drive on the road useless off!!

As for cars getting dirty, what are Sunday mornings for together with a bucket and sponge?
Modern paints are so much tougher than the old coatings and will stand an amazing amount of abuse, MUD!
The D3s bonnet was the panel that suffered with gravel and stone chip marks, certainly not from off roading!

Heads down to air-raid shelter in anticipation of onslaught!:surprise:

Best

Ian

Reactions: TomMort

·
Registered
12,152 Posts
I refer you to my earlier answer my lord!

And Sunday Mornings are for putting vaseline on the door knob to stop the kids getting in!!!-Allegedly, I mean who cleans their own cars nowaday's? bet you still use Semaphor instaed of a smart phone.!

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
Judging by you avatar Ian you must clean your car regularly on a Sunday morning , mind you your lawn looks like it could do with a few Sundays spent on it??? is parking on your lawn classed as off roading??

Reactions: Veteran and Maffy
21 - 40 of 54 Posts