Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do they work ,loads on e bay varying prices ,seems the scumbags are all using this scanner to get into the cars.

·
Registered
138 Posts
As long as you get a "proper" one.
I can put the pouch next to the door handle with the key inside and it won't open.
I know of someone who opened the door put the key in the pouch and leave it on the seat while they were washing the car. The car couldn't see the key inside the cabin and locked it self!

·
Registered
75 Posts
The pair that I purchased about a year ago do,I put the keys in the bag and could not open the doors on my keyless entry Evoque.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok thank you will look to get two as although I don't use the second one its still in the jlr wallet /book thingy I suppose that's giving off the signal

·
Registered
602 Posts
They work well but with constant use the blocking qualities can lessen over time.
I buy from Amazon with two pouches for less than a tenner and they work fine.
Quite a few have two sections inside.
A gold coloured one that shields and another that doesn't so you can keep the keys in the pouch and everything still works.
A lot of complaints from people putting the key in the wrong section and saying it doesn't work.
For your spare key which stays in the house a double wrap of alu foil will also completely block the signal.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok just ordered one off e bay uk company so hopefully wont be long arriving

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a pouch for the spare and something more robust for every day use.

I have heard of pouches wearing out over time.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I suppose its the house door key that might damage the inside of the pouch over time

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Mine came from Amazon - 2 for under £8 they work very well, I have to open the pouch & take fob almost all the way out before anything will work. Even then if I try to start holding fob it will not start until I hold fob in the correct position under the steering column as directed in message. My spare is stored in the other pouch hidden inside the house.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just tried the foil and it works so ordered one for the daily use and ill foil the other one in the house

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Yes foil does the job OK.

·
Registered
Spock - MY20 D180 Evoque R-Dynamic SE Santorini Black Pimp-Wagon!
91 Posts
I think that these keyless ignition "Faraday Cages" are not needed for the Evoque as the system used by JLR is resistant to the relay attack. You can see from here that Thatcham rated the Evoque security as "Superior", it was tested in 2019 so you'll need to scroll down through the latest ones: Consumer Rating Home - Thatcham

It doesn't mean that there aren't other devious ways the professional scrote will steal your pride and joy but a Faraday Cage isn't going to do anything. (n)

·
Registered
602 Posts
I think that these keyless ignition "Faraday Cages" are not needed for the Evoque as the system used by JLR is resistant to the relay attack. You can see from here that Thatcham rated the Evoque security as "Superior", it was tested in 2019 so you'll need to scroll down through the latest ones: Consumer Rating Home - Thatcham

It doesn't mean that there aren't other devious ways the professional scrote will steal your pride and joy but a Faraday Cage isn't going to do anything. (n)
The Thatcham test is for the MY20 Evoque whereas the majority on here probably don't have the "MK2" so are still vulnerable.
The technology that allows the key to "sleep" and not continuously send out a signal that can be grabbed is pretty recent so the majority of Evoques won't have it.
Plus, I would imagine that efforts are well underway to get round this latest technology as always happens.
A "belt and braces" approach even if you have a Mk2 is sensible unless you want to be the first victim when the bad guys have got round the latest tech.

It should also be remembered that this issue is only relevant for cars with keyless entry fitted and active.

·
Registered
Spock - MY20 D180 Evoque R-Dynamic SE Santorini Black Pimp-Wagon!
91 Posts
Good point. They only started testing in 2019 though so maybe the MY16 was resistant, or maybe not... Does anyone know for sure?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts