Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 1039 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In or out? Owning a truly British product I think forum members would be more out than in . Personally I can't think why I will be any worse off out than in . They( Europe) will still buy Scotch and Land rovers etc. and we we will still buy wine and Audi . Our biggest trade market is the Far East (look at the labels inside your clothes and technicals).

·
Super Moderator
7,323 Posts
Levy already being talked about by LandRover at price increase due to duty being added at 14% for all exports......it seems a vote to come out will hit LR hard......so many things to think about - it's not as cut and dry as it seems!

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Out.

The damned EU has tampered and tinkered with stuff that directly affects me (aviation regs and licensing) and that will over the next couple of years cost me a huge amount of money complying with pointless equipment and maintenance requirements - pointless unless you fly a BizJet to continental Europe, and even then of doubtful necessity.

I'm sure if BMW! VAG and Merc vehicles get levied in retaliation, they'll soon give up on the idea of penalizing JLR, but if course the Germans are scared to death of its successful manufacturers.

·
Super Moderator
7,323 Posts
I have an engineering company and supply to aerospace, oil and gas and automotive.
One of few manufacturers left in the U.K.
I'm not worried about these threats and I think it's time for change. Anything manufactured in Uk has been hit in the last 10 / 15 years. No support from government or EU.
Immigration is out of hand and British Manufacturing is becoming a thing of the past.
We are becoming a "service" country.......we need to be confident of our product and not rely on EU Policies and not be told how we are to run our country!
Without becoming political......I'm Out !
I want our country back!
Make our own decisions - some of the new rules made by the EU are ridiculous!

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
I'm out too, even though I work for a Dutch company so I don't know how I will be effected. As spidey says we are a service country, well, I'm a service engineer!

Maybe spidey will give me a job

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I don't think I've heard of one man in the street that's in!
I'm out too.

·
Registered
166 Posts
OUT!

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Think we might need a short term poll on this. I'm old enough to remember when we joined the European ECONOMIC Community aka The Common market. Did not vote to be legislated by Brussels And Germany. Immigration out of control have you been thru London East end, Ilford recently. Time to take back control of our country and borders etc

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Non-EU immigration - much like the number of Asians in East London, West London etc is actually controlled quite well.
The UK changed its rules on residency visas not too long ago - much like the Australia process - you are scored on points and value you bring to the country.

My cousin from India was declined a 6 month visa - He has 2 Masters - wanted to research on new technology for his PHD. Where as a lot of under skilled EU residents are welcomed with open arms. Where is the logic in this?

The UK could go down the Trump route and try and ban all immigration. This just isn't feasible.

The issue with immigration in the UK is that there is no real control for EU immigrants. Given that anyone with an EU passport can travel to any EU country and near enough settle is why the UK is in the position its in. Exiting the EU can and will bring its own hurdles - financially and socially.
Say there is a Brexit - what happens to the existing EU immigrants in the UK - are they deported and shipped out of the UK - realistically that wont happen.

my 2p :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Given the current trend of this thread, I'm probably going to be unpopular but here goes:

Being of a certain age [and inherently selfish], I'm against anything that creates uncertainty. There's nothing the financial markets like less than uncertainty, as can be seen from the drastic movements in the stock market as the "In-Out" poll has drawn nearer [from 7000 a year ago to 6000 currently]. Yes, there are some "up" days too but the trend is down. A downward moving stock market means my pension provision is not doing well enough [the fund actually lost 2.5% to the year end in 2015!]. Luckily for me, I retired early and don't yet need my pension fund to kick in but there are a lot of people that are suffering from a serious drop in their pension provision.

The immigration question is a red herring in my opinion. If we opt out then Scotland will, almost certainly, vote for independence from GB and, very soon afterwards, vote to join the EU on their own behalf. That will give us two land borders with the EU [Scotland and Eire] and, since they'll both be in the Schengen group of countries, there'll be nothing to stop EU citizens simply wandering into what's left of the UK. Unless, of course, we erect huge barriers the full length of the borders [although even that doesn't seem to be helping in eastern Europe].

I'm slightly surprised by the trend amongst voters that seems to be oldies out/youngsters in. Particularly as older voters will have either direct or just one generation removed knowledge that part of the reason for "The Euro Club" was to avoid another devastating European war. Whatever you say about the cost of being in the EU, it's as nothing compared to the costs of WW1/WW2. The more than slightly annoying and ironic knock-on from the Euro Club is that Germany has gained through peaceful means what it failed to gain through two world wars - ie: Hegemony over Europe.

Having said all that, my gut reaction is out too. I'm a natural patriot and I object to being told what to do by unelected officials in bureaucrat-land. Unfortunately though, our illustrious leaders didn't push hard enough for the EU to stay as we were first told it was envisaged - a Common Market - and we are where we are. Interestingly, it may not have been that our leaders didn't push hard enough - it may have been that this was the secret agenda all along. There's a recently uncovered/leaked document from the 1950's in which a United States of Europe is explained as the ultimate aim!

I agree with you who don't believe that there would be a long-lived tariff war but I do believe there would be serious short-term ramifications for our economy. So, whilst "Out" might benefit our grand-kids, I think we'd feel the pinch for 10 years or more.

Whatever choice we make, I hope it settles the question with a good majority one way or the other and that this is the last we hear about it in my lifetime. As I said at the start, uncertainty is the enemy of financial growth.

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
Countries will still trade with us if we are in or out!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
An end to the M.E.P. Gravy train. Neil Kinnock without a job,less red tape,less elf and safety,proper light bulbs,etc. Etc.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Regardless of the vote they wont let us exit.....
There will be a back room deal which will be too good to refuse...
We are all just mushrooms I'm afraid

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
Uncle said:
Think you may be right, they'll just get us to keep on voting until we reach the correct decision

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Where I have never trusted the EU, is the rules they impose on us but blatently disregard the rules themseves, that they wrote.

Good example was fishing which has decimated Scotland (and the rest of the UK) whereas secret holds in Spanish ships brought in more catch and their authorties just got a bung to not see the extra fish coming in.

That was and still is just the tip of the iceberg, as in the UK and Germany we have 'more than our jobs worths' that dot the I's and cross the T's, whereas other countries in the EU, disregard the rules, take backhanders, turn the blind eye, bypass EU red tape, ect.

How do you compete with this? the answer is OUT.

·
10,626 Posts
I voted in the First referendum, many of us didn't have a clue then, as a young boy I didn't, right now I'm still undecided.

All this talk of giving the NHS £350M a week instead, well that won't happen and if it did it would be squandered.

·
Super Moderator
7,323 Posts
Uncle said:
I think you hit the nail on the head there Uncle!
I'm with you on that one!
That sums up our country........there's not Mushroom.....roll on Monday Joke night !

1 - 20 of 1039 Posts