Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've noticed a sort of judder when braking (particularly over 50mph).
Its as if the brake discs are warped or something??
There is no apparent loss in braking effect and the steering is as true as you like - no wobble and no veering to one side. (Tested last night on empty motorway - hard braking from 80mph with hands barely gripping the wheel)
I've not had the wheels off yet to have a proper look, but the rears look to be wearing slightly unevenly as the whole disc is not shiny and has a few rust circles (for want of a better term).
I'll take a couple of pictures later and upload.
In the meantime - any thoughts people?

BTW - passed MOT a few months back with no issue and no mention of the brakes also rear discs & pads were changed (before I got the car) in Dec 2019

Cheers

·
Registered
2017 HSE Dynamic Lux in Aintree Green, Surround and Park Assist, Heated Wheel
352 Posts
That looks to me like new discs and pads needed at the back. Or, depending on thickness of discs you could see if someone local can re-grind/re-face the discs if they're not too old.
It would explain the symptoms in your first post also as the rear vibration is felt through the body and seat, from disc vibration is felt through the wheel.

Should have read your post fully, how many miles have you done since December 2019?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That looks to me like new discs and pads needed at the back. Or, depending on thickness of discs you could see if someone local can re-grind/re-face the discs if they're not too old.
It would explain the symptoms in your first post also as the rear vibration is felt through the body and seat, from disc vibration is felt through the wheel.

Should have read your post fully, how many miles have you done since December 2019?
Thanks for the reply
Probably about 4000 miles, so not much really (and that may be the problem?)

·
Registered
2013 L538 RR Evoque Pure Tech td4
2,231 Posts
Lots of posts and guides how to DIY replace your rear discs and pads.
Worth considering if you have tools and a little mechanical aptitude :)

How do your front discs look as they create much of the braking force at high speed.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lots of posts and guides how to DIY replace your rear discs and pads.
Worth considering if you have tools and a little mechanical aptitude :)

How do your front discs look as they create much of the braking force at high speed.
I've done discs and pads on various cars over the years, so I think it is a job which will be coming round soon.
The fronts don't look too bad at all tbh, so I'm sure they will be fine for a while longer.
Need to get a few tools & sundries bought to make the job easier 😁
I've seen quite a few mention replacing the JLR parts with Brembo?

·
Super Moderator
2,727 Posts
I'd agree those rears look in need of doing! Fairly bog standard job, put Brembo's on mine, and very pleased. My independent put Ferodo in the rear for the last MOT and they are fine too.

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
13,574 Posts
The fronts don't look to healthy either

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
😳 Another advert for making sure you drive your car everyday! Rain and damp atmosphere do them no good!

Reactions: XZ4

·
Super Moderator
2,727 Posts
When you do the Front Discs make sure you have a good 18mm spanner/Socket, not in all sets. and a T50 torx.

Reactions: mib150

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When you do the Front Discs make sure you have a good 18mm spanner/Socket, not in all sets. and a T50 torx.
Thanks for the heads-up - I will check before I start.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Nothing wrong with them discs !..
Thousands of miles left in them.

·
Super Moderator
2,727 Posts
Yeah cant see front pad thickness from those pics, but my rears went way before the fronts.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I took the rear passenger side wheel off to have a closer look (as this seems to be where the noise is coming from)
Some pictures of my findings, most notable a strange pattern on the face of the disc?
Pads look reasonable, but discs corroded a bit and scored, although centre hub looks almost new??
Thoughts??

·
Super Moderator
2,727 Posts
When I was not using mine all that often, my rears got stuck and would squeal when not braking, I simply removed the caliper and worked the slider pins, added some brake lube and cleaned generally. Problem was sorted.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When I was not using mine all that often, my rears got stuck and would squeal when not braking, I simply removed the caliper and worked the slider pins, added some brake lube and cleaned generally. Problem was sorted.
I just took it out for a short drive to see if any difference, think its a bit better, but that might just be my mind playing tricks??
I also had both windows open and when driving down a lane with high walls, there was a definite rubbing sound I could hear.
Braking still even with no veering off to one side.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts