Evoque Owners Club banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,437 Posts
anyone know if its an MOT failure?
Shouldn't be as it's usually just surface rust. Would only be a fail if it rusts through and is unsafe.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Post a picture of its condition if you can.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Just had call from main dealer--- guess what?? Fuel tank shield not covered by warranty. JLR Should be ASHAMED:sad: turning out this sort of rubbish on what is advertised as a QUALITY motor & leaving the backlash of sub-standard quality parts or build to be absorbed by Car Care Warranty who just worm their way out of any repairs possible in the small print.

But Diff is borked (@45k) looks like it will be rebuilt under warranty.:smile::smile::smile:

Bazz

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just found out that my tank shield has the same status as the initial post photos, 200GBP total price to change it at JLR service.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Mine were replaced earlier this year after several refusals, the new ones are coated unlike the originals. The reason for the high cost of replacement is that the prop shafts have to be removed when fitting tank covers. Absolutely BRILLIANT DESIGN by JLR ensuring a good earner over the years on a part which is designed to fail. Keep asking you may be lucky.
20191015_163018[1].jpg

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Well done Bazz, looks very smart.
Have you had a new rear diff too, the aluminium looks very clean with new bolts?

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Years ago with secondhand Fords (all I could a ford at the time :p), used to slap black tar underseal everywhere with a paint brush to prevent rusting underneath. Unfortunately the cars panels rusted instead, and ended up fillering the wing panel with a 6 inch diameter Dulux paint tin lid behind. Thats how big the holes were.

PS...Anything spiky or sharp or ready to fall off is an MOT failure. (brings back my Ford cars memories LOL)

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
One of the advantages of leaky engines, transmissions etc in old cars was that the oil leaks covered the underside of the car an acted as a great rust deterrent!

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Well done Bazz, looks very smart.
Have you had a new rear diff too, the aluminium looks very clean with new bolts?
Hi CBW, well spotted, yes a new diff, one of many new bits up to now. 👍

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just been to main dealer new fuel tank cradle LRO41435 £80 plus vat It’s now fully galvinised £18 plus vat for replacement straps

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Just been to main dealer new fuel tank cradle LRO41435 £80 plus vat It’s now fully galvinised £18 plus vat for replacement straps
Good to hear they are now being galvanized :)
Unless you are DIY it's the fitting that costs! Did you get a price for that or are you fitting yourself?

EDIT: Welcome to the forum :)

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Good to hear they have changed the design finish for longevity.
Unfortunately it does not help all existing owners.
They should have made it from aluminium in the first place to save weight and no need to worry about the finish (or lack of it).

21 - 35 of 35 Posts